Author Topic: SouthEast Build 3Sixty  (Read 88889 times)

tenpin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
SouthEast Build 3Sixty
« on: February 28, 2008, 08:52:58 PM »
Well, I've lurked for a while, pretty much ever since the Exeter show back in November when DNA gave me the name of this forum! So, I thought it's about time I made my first post and said hello. Hey, everyone seems so friendly and supportive here - thanks to everyone who's posted and to Steve for the forum.

After a few abortive attempts, I've finally arranged a donor and there's a deposit on a kit winging its way to DNA. As to when the build starts, well that's going to depend on sorting out insurance to get the donor home, when the kit arrives, when I can pluck up courage to destroy a working MR2 and when I can get time off work. Anyway, that's enough for a first post - I'll do more when there's something to show.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 09:31:45 AM by CdRsKuLL »

EVANS MOTORSPORTS

• View Profile
Re: SouthEast Build
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 03:52:22 PM »
Have fun.........cheeeers.

tricky

• skateboarding is not a crime
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 06:45:31 PM »
welcome to the forum, where in the south east are you?

tenpin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 02:35:43 PM »
Greetings tricky, I live in Kent.

As seen in other posts, red appears to be the colour to have. However I'm going to buck the trend and lay claim to the first one done in dark blue (Tour de France blu), unless anyone else gets there first! (mind you, I don't pick the donor up till next weekend, so we'll see).

DNA AUTOMOTIVE

• The main dude's
    • View Profile
    • www.dnaautomotive.com
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 06:40:56 PM »
Greetings tricky, I live in Kent.

As seen in other posts, red appears to be the colour to have. However I'm going to buck the trend and lay claim to the first one done in dark blue (Tour de France blu), unless anyone else gets there first! (mind you, I don't pick the donor up till next weekend, so we'll see).

THAT SOUNDS FANTASTIC IF YOU GET A BLUE ROOF AND GO WITH A LIGHT CREAM INTERIOR IT WILL BE A BEAUTIFUL LOOKING FINISH I SAW ONE IN NEW YORK LAST YEAR AND IT BLEW ME AWAY AS IT LOOKED JUST PURE CLASS.

AdamF

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 10:07:00 PM »
hmmm that does sound nice, has mine been sprayed yet DNA? only kidding, I'm in Kent occasionally tenpin so ever want to compare to help your build let me know

tenpin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 12:30:40 AM »
Quick update:
I've now had my donor 15 days and I'm driving around in it - you know, just to make sure it's OK. This is a BIG mistake - everyone loves it...... and very soon it has to be dismantled (noone knows what I'm planning to do). Perhaps I should get another one and use that! Ah, sanity returns, probably caused by insufficient funds and lack of garage space.

I'm blaming DNA for bringing about this panic attack, next week I go and collect my kit....

EVANS MOTORSPORTS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 11:21:22 AM »
You`ll love it when the kit goes on,transforms the car copletely,good luck and happy building!!!!!!!!

tenpin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 01:42:42 PM »
Been a while - so quick update. I've collected my kit and had the required panic attack at the thought of what I'm about to undertake.
I've had another look at a completed kit - that helped soothe things down and it really seems quite straightforward.
I'm using the donor as my daily vehicle at the moment, but D-day (dismantle day) is coming soon. The current plan is to start the build before Stoneleigh, so that I can go there and pick everyone's brains.... So within the next week, my garage which is full of bits for the DNA kit will be full of discarded panels from the MR2.
tenpin

EVANS MOTORSPORTS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 07:36:14 PM »
Have fun.

tricky

• skateboarding is not a crime
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 08:28:51 PM »
take plenty of pics

tenpin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 01:17:14 PM »
Time has passed and I now have a set of front wings, rear 3 quarter panels, wheel arch liners, bumpers and front and rear lights as well as two door cards and a disassembled hood filling the garage, house etc. (I may have missed some bits, either because they're buried in the pile somewhere or I've tripped over them so many times I know where not to step without looking!). In short the build has well and truly started.
Along the way I managed to get to Stoneleigh on Sunday, and put a few faces to names (unfortunately far too few, but maybe the next show we can do better).

tenpin

tenpin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 01:43:30 PM »
There's progress, but it's slow! The rear springs have been changed - that took two days - I think a "trained gorilla" had done up some of the nuts!
The front suspension mods are a work in progress - the gorilla got there as well! Despite liberal application of WD40 and shock tactics some nuts are proving stubborn. It's not just that I'm a weakly southerner - perhaps they don't make strong 19mm sockets anymore.... (having to go out and buy replacement sockets and spanners tends to slow you down.) Next weekend, methinks, weather permitting, will see the completion of the front suspension.  Another update then - tenpin

CdRsKuLL

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 01:48:49 PM »
Stick with it m8, my bolts on the front were seized as well, plenty of wd40 and determination got them moving. It took me 3 hours to do one side and that was using Johns ramp and his snapon tools.. I also had a pro mechinic doing the otherside which helped :) The rear springs took me about an hour each to do if I remember rightly.. Its always worth spending money on good tools, you end up with far less spanner rash.

Steve
The fat one..

EVANS MOTORSPORTS

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 10:37:43 PM »
yeh ,as Steve says just soldier on and give those stubborn bolts a good shouting at!!!!!!!!!!!