Author Topic: Bonnet Badge  (Read 1417 times)

Peter James

• View Profile
Bonnet Badge
« on: August 02, 2020, 04:39:01 PM »
The enamel/ paint on my badge has worn off, so I was going to repaint it. I started it a found actually its harder than one imagines. So looked here read Pauls build thread, discovered he got his on ebay quite cheap, Yet every time I looked they were £200 or more. Anyway after reading his thread I took another look and found one for £30 inc. I purchased it but and its on its way, but I looked under the bonnet expecting to find bolts holding it down only to find its sealed with no access to the back of the badge. Im hoping there is some magic way of fixing this,anyone know what I am missing?

Darren

• If it don't fit cut it bash it weld it paint it
    • View Profile
Re: Bonnet Badge
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 09:09:09 PM »
no holes, they're usually glued on or double sided foam tape. the badge pins are cut off
D
Well, I'm into the 11th year of the project, could it be ready for Stoneleigh 2020, doubt it. The longest DNA build ever

Peter James

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 11:04:26 PM »
no holes, they're usually glued on or double sided foam tape. the badge pins are cut off
D

Thanks Darren I wondered if that was the case

Lee22

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 11:34:46 PM »
Yes grind off any fixing lugs and use ‘good’ double sided ‘number plate’ tape to stick it on..!

But before you do stick your £30 badge on the car... just check how good it looks compared to the original Ferrari 430 bonnet badge before you fit it.

I bought one of these £30 ones, and instantly resold it..!  Then bought an original Ferrari one.

Peter James

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 08:44:40 AM »
Hi Lee, Thanks
I hope the ebay £30 looks as good as Pauls, but Ill just have to wait and see I suppose. Whats the best way to remove the old badge?

Lee22

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 12:09:11 PM »
It all depends on what it’s stuck on with?
If it’s on with ‘tiger seal’ for example.. then your in for a challenge, and you have make sure it doesn’t bring paint off at that same time  :o

But it could be on with double sided tape, so a little heat with hair dryer and a plastic spatula to try and ease it off..

Good luck

Peter James

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 04:13:19 PM »
It all depends on what it’s stuck on with?
If it’s on with ‘tiger seal’ for example.. then your in for a challenge, and you have make sure it doesn’t bring paint off at that same time  :o

But it could be on with double sided tape, so a little heat with hair dryer and a plastic spatula to try and ease it off..

Good luck

Well its going into the body panel shop to have all the little cracks done anyway, so worse case I will let them deal with it.

Sir Percival

• Per ardua ad astra - through hard work, a Vauxhall
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 11:57:53 AM »
For stuck on badges (stuck on with anything other than Tiger seal type stuff) you should find that dental floss is great.

Hook it under the badge and use a gentle sawing action, and it should cut through the double sided tape/glue with no bother.

I have used it to remove stuck on trims and it works great, if it breaks just pull out another bit and carry on....cheap as chips.

It will probably leave a residue but that can be cleaned off with any type of sticky stuff remover...I used white spirit or meths.
If Airfix plastic model planes are made exactly to scale, why don't they fly?

Peter James

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 07:02:39 PM »
Thanks for that badge came today looks good enough to me, old badge came off with some gentle persuasion new badge on