Author Topic: Cat  (Read 1467 times)

Peter James

• View Profile
Cat
« on: August 07, 2020, 01:01:31 PM »
So my newly acquired DNA 430 went in for the replacement o2 sensors today, only to find one was already new and the other didn't look that old. My garage have said its the Cat and told me as far as the could see it was £600 supply only. I've googled it and found that its best to lose the pre cat as when they fail its game over for the engine, but the cat is between £100 and £150 am I missing something?  Am I looking at the wrong cat or werev they?

V8 KLR

• View Profile
Re: Cat
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 02:07:43 PM »
Hi I would have said that £150 for a sport cat would be about right. A Milltek Cat can be about £300 so not sure where £600 comes from? Did they give you the manufacturers name?
You could always contact Paul at Woodsport Engineering he is really nice guy and knows everything about the MR2 engines on all models im sure he would help. Check out the Woodsport web site...you mite talk yourself into a V6  ;D
Has to be V6 power and SERIOUS NOISE !!!!!!

Peter James

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 02:39:35 PM »
LOL Thanks for the reply. if there was nothing else wrong with the car I would definately consider a woodsport. Just had a quote for £1.500.00 for all the body bits that need doing, the interior needs some work too, the engine has only done 33k and is probably the best bit of thar car right now. I have found pre cat conversion kits on ebay, but Im confused on where the O2 sensor goes

Lee22

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 07:53:56 PM »
Get yourself registered on the MR2 owners Facebook page.
At the end of the day, it’s an MR2 and not at Ferrari.

For example, this was posted tonight.

May be right up Your street..!

And I’ll be amazed if it’s £600  :o

And a Toyosport decat manifold off eBay is less than £100

Peter James

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 08:01:28 PM »
Hi Lee once again really useful info I have messaged the guy on ebay selling the precat conversion kit he says it will fit my car and there would be no problem fitting the o2 sensors. The cat itself seems to be a separate item to the precat. My worry is that the exhaust has been modified to sound great, does that mean the standard MR2 cat will still fit or has it been modified to fit. My car is Wizards' old car I spoke with him today and he seems to think the standard cat will suffice. Though I think I will buy the precat kit at the same time just because, the precat could damage the engine if it goes. I have looked on the MR2 forum Ill join the FB one thanks  BTW do they take offence to MR2 with DNA kits?

Peter James

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 08:55:28 PM »
BTW I switched off the light again and it hasnt come back on yet so maybe its not the cat ?

Lee22

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 09:18:49 PM »
When joining the MR2 forum on Facebook, I always find it good idea to not mention what car you have.
Just say you have a mK3 MR2, if anyone asks.

Ripping apart a MR2 and butchering it, doesn’t go down well, and they don’t like kit cars...!

Oh, unless your a woman, and then they are the best ones they have ever seen  ;D

I think, if memory serves me right ‘wizards’ cars is standard MR2 manifold and cat and only changes when It gets to the back box.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 09:21:04 PM by Lee22 »

Peter James

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 09:48:13 PM »
When joining the MR2 forum on Facebook, I always find it good idea to not mention what car you have.
Just say you have a mK3 MR2, if anyone asks.

Its like you read my mind LOL

OXO

• DNA Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2020, 10:30:53 AM »
GREAT to see people chatting on here again.
OXO

Peter James

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2020, 11:43:01 AM »
Im surprised that its so quiet, I put it down to sunny weather and nice cars LOL

Peter James

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2020, 08:05:30 PM »
My problem turned out to be the Maf sensor, cleaned it went for a good long run no lights on the dash, nice one