Author Topic: New Owner faults  (Read 2836 times)

Peter James

• View Profile
New Owner faults
« on: July 18, 2020, 08:51:02 PM »
Hi All Im, a proud new owner of a 430 I purchase Wizards car today. Driving it home the amber light on the fuel/tempurature guage came on. Does anyone know what this means?

Tha car also seems to have some sort of greasey leak  thats landed on the exhaust, does anyone what this may be ?

Thanks in advance
Pete

Peter James

• View Profile
Re: New Owner faults
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 08:53:49 PM »
this is the light

Lee22

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 08:51:04 AM »
Looks like drive shaft gater is spitting grease. Either split, or the retaining strap has come undone.

The amber light could be a few things, you need to get it to a garage that can read the car with a computer and see what it’s saying.

Darren

• If it don't fit cut it bash it weld it paint it
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 09:22:55 AM »
Where are you located? maybe you're close to a fellow Owner, I can plug it in and have a look for you, but I fear I'm too far away for a simple visit. I'm in Essex near Basildon
Darren
Well, I'm into the 11th year of the project, could it be ready for Stoneleigh 2020, doubt it. The longest DNA build ever

Peter James

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 10:16:36 AM »
Looks like drive shaft gater is spitting grease. Either split, or the retaining strap has come undone.

The amber light could be a few things, you need to get it to a garage that can read the car with a computer and see what it’s saying.

Thanks I think it maybe something like that I will get someone to take a look and plug in at the same time

Peter James

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 10:23:29 AM »
Where are you located? maybe you're close to a fellow Owner, I can plug it in and have a look for you, but I fear I'm too far away for a simple visit. I'm in Essex near Basildon
Darren

Im Brighton in Sussex these seem a bit rarer down this way most owners seem to be up north, but your not a million miles from me, too far for a check though.  I do have a local garage that can plug in for me. I have seen that you can buy the plugins that work with smart phones quite cheaply, no idea if they are any good though. Hopefully the fault will be something simple like a Lamber sensor.

Peter James

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2020, 01:20:35 PM »
Looks like something has just popped off

Darren

• If it don't fit cut it bash it weld it paint it
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2020, 04:15:36 PM »
Normally they have a crimped stainless tie.
Plug in diagnosis, early models use the TIS (Toyota information system) later Standard OB2. The Lambda sensor could be faulty.
Good thing about Toyota is that most things are cheap and easy to fix
D
Well, I'm into the 11th year of the project, could it be ready for Stoneleigh 2020, doubt it. The longest DNA build ever

Peter James

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2020, 09:24:31 PM »
Normally they have a crimped stainless tie.
Plug in diagnosis, early models use the TIS (Toyota information system) later Standard OB2. The Lambda sensor could be faulty.
Good thing about Toyota is that most things are cheap and easy to fix
D

Thanks Darren, Mine is a 2000 yr model but it has the 16 pin plug though, so i assume its OBD2 Ive ordered a OBD 2 reader it will be here from Amazon tomorrow I will have a look at the codes before taking it to the garage.

Its been a while since I had my head under the bonnet of a car, I probably wont be fixing much of the oily bits myself on this one either. I was contemplating buying a trolley jack and some axel stands earlier, but I dont trust the cheap ones and I am not so sure that the expensive ones would get enough use to become an investment. My garage has a pit but I filled it with rubble after I fell in it and broke my arm (the wood on top was rotten) but knowing the fault ahead of the garage is worth £26.00.

Peter James

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2020, 08:34:18 PM »
My OBD2 reader arrived this evening (I love amazon) it read 2 code mixture too rich on both which I assume is the Lambda sensors, Ive cleared them for now. The car has not been driven for a while so they may not actually be faulty.

Im on a roll fixed the door handle cleared the faults, I may just pop to Halfords tomorrow and buy a trolley jack and a couple of axel stands and fix the driveshaft bearing rubber though I guess I may need some special grease for that
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 10:27:45 AM by Peter James »

Lee22

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2020, 09:46:47 PM »
I wouldn’t buy a trolley jack? They crush the under sill of the car at the back.
Most of the MR2’s I’ve seen are all crushed underneath as people have used the wrong jack to jack these cars up.

If you look under the car, you will see on the sill, a lip.. on the Toyota MR2 jack that came with the car the jack has a slot that this fits in, then you wind the jack up.
They are the best for these cars.
I don’t use a trolley jack at all, but if you do, you need an adapter to stop the lip getting crushed.

Peter James

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2020, 10:26:25 AM »
Thanks Lee

What would a garage use to jack it up though?

Lee22

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2020, 11:02:06 AM »
It depends which garage you use and if they know what they are doing or not..! ;D

I always take 2 scissor jacks with me, if they need to use a trolley jack, insist they don’t jack it up on the sill lip, as it WILL flatten..!

Jack the back up off the mount hanging off the cross subframe (for example), if the trolley jack is low enough and long enough.

Peter James

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2020, 01:32:10 PM »
Thanks thats good advice that I would not have been aware of, my garage only use tj's I dont remember seeing a scissor jack in the car but as there is no spare I wasnt worried (I thought I would just call AA if I get a puncture that I cant fix with a can of  punture repair) I hope there is one in the car. I assume that axel stands are okay? Thats another Point AA use tj's too

Lee22

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2020, 09:59:16 PM »
No, you won’t find the cars with Jacks in them normally, (and mine didn’t have them either).
But EBay is a wonderful thing, and so are local Toyota breaker yards...

Look out for Mr2 jacks. They are normally knocking around on eBay and not expensive either.