Author Topic: Power window problem  (Read 1253 times)

Jez

• View Profile
Power window problem
« on: May 21, 2020, 06:14:24 PM »
Hi Guys, I need some help. I've been enjoying this nice weather recently and managed to get out in my 250 quite a bit. Yesterday something odd happened.
Driver window refused to power down, but passenger window worked fine. I'd read somewhere that if you ever lose battery power (flat battery) then you will have to re-program the power windows. It involves pressing the lever to move the window down to the bottom, releasing the lever, then pressing the lever again (same direction) and holding it down for 10 seconds before releasing it. This is repeated on both windows. For good luck I did the same process for both the up and down positions. This is supposed to set the memory for where the window should stop in each direction.

So yesterday I disconnected my battery for 10 minutes, then reconnected it. Then I tried to lower the driver window. Nothing. So I tried to lower the passenger window. This worked, so I followed the procedure to set the memory.
Repeated tests of the passenger window - it worked fine 20 times.
Then I tried the driver window again. Nothing. Won't budge. Stuck in the up position.  However you can hear something clicking below the passenger side dashboard (which is the same noise you hear on the other window that works fine) Tried again several times, and after about 7 or 8 attempts it went down, so I followed the procedure again to set this one. Then I tested it, and twenty times it worked like a dream, up, down, up down, more times than a tart's knickers.

Great!! Solved it.

Except today we set off for a drive and the passenger side stopped working, but the driver side worked fine.

I've tried disconnecting the battery again, and was about to reset the windows again, but the driver window worked so I was able to reset it, but the passenger side is stuck down, and no matter what I do it won't go up.

Any clever electronic types out there who might know where to look?   :(

Jez
Jez

Jez

• View Profile
Re: Power window problem
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 06:18:23 PM »
Just been out to try again and now both windows are stuck and won't budge. Drivers is up, passenger is down. Something is clicking with every try (both sides) but no movement at all.

HELP!

Jez
Jez

MADMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 12:01:40 AM »
if battery has been off there is a sequence to reset, I think it,s roof up or it wont work.
look om z3 forum I,m sure I,ve seen it there

Jez

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 05:21:35 PM »
Yep I know the initialization sequence procedure. Trouble is neither window will move at all now so I can't re-initialize them.

I'm thinking it must be a relay problem. Hence it was intermittent, happened on both windows at different times, and now has gone completely?

I'll keep searching tinterweb.
Jez

Jez

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 09:37:20 PM »
Forgot to post that I've sorted this out. It's just the window calibration that needed doing properly, i.e. doors closed when you do it.  I'd been doing it with the door open, so it did not calibrate properly. Doh!
Jez