Author Topic: Russell's 2fifty build  (Read 5906 times)

argy

• View Profile
Russell's 2fifty build
« on: October 14, 2019, 05:30:38 PM »
I'm about to start converting my 2000 (X) reg 3.0i Z3 into a DNA 2fifty.

I bought 'most' of a kit a couple of months ago and I've been waiting for the bad weather to kick in before retiring the Z3 and transforming it into a beautiful 2fifty. I'd like to record my progress on here and to share my experiences as well as pick up hints and tips from the many excellent examples that I've been oggling on here over the past few months. :-)

My original plan was to build a Tribute 250 SWB California but, after a bit of persuasion, I decided to go for the 2fifty simply because of the stunning looks.
Fortunately for me, very fortunately in fact, Justin's place of work is in my home town and he has kindly let me use his facilities to convert my Z3.

I've got a couple of 'Before' images and the first 'During' ones which I'll post below. I've also got a couple of questions which I hope someone will be able to help me with. One of the photo's shows what brackets and fixings came with my kit. Having looked at the video I know that I'm missing some items and there may be others. I wonder if someone would be kind enough to take a look at what I've got and help me to build a list of what's missing.

In addition to these brackets I've got some heavy metal bumper sections and, I believe, all of the fibreglass body parts. but time will tell.

Things that I know that I'm missing include the template for cutting out the end of the door where the lock access is (The cut out is visible at around 6 minutes and 10 seconds into the build video). I also think that I'm missing the door latch plates (5:42) and at least one of the glue turntables.

I can get by without the template and the glue turntables but if anyone knows where to get the door latch fixings and if anyone can spot what else I'm missing I would very much appreciate your input.

OK, here goes some photo's. My plan is to build the body this winter and then have a go at the interior next winter...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 11:47:51 AM by argy »

argy

• View Profile
Re: Russell's 2fifty build
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 05:50:43 PM »

argy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 05:52:37 PM »

argy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 05:55:13 PM »

argy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 05:55:42 PM »

argy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 06:01:38 PM »
And here's a photo of the brackets etc. that I do have.

argy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 06:10:20 PM »
And more or less what it looks like now. This is it with the panels off and on its way to the cleaners.

argy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 06:15:38 PM »
I got the car onto a fork lift and gave it a thorough cleaning. Overall the body is in excellent condition. There's a bit of rust at the front and rear edge of the sills which has rubbed off nicely. The exposed metal will get treated and fully protected before anything else happens. All of the panels are in excellent condition with the exception of the sills which are still good enough that someone has already bought them on ebay.

MADMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 06:48:59 PM »
If fitting DNA 250 kit you will need your rear quaters for fixing kit too, also the three captive nuts that hold the boot brackets
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 06:51:42 PM by MADMAN »

argy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 07:13:04 PM »
Yes, they're going back on tomorrow. Tomorrow is panel cutting day :-)

MADMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2019, 07:18:25 PM »
Glad you havnt sold them

argy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2019, 11:02:49 PM »
Well, I've kinda stalled...

I've got past the removing stuff stage and started on the adding stuff phase only to find that the kit is missing some significant bits and peices of metalwork. I've posted a list of known missing items in the general for sale area http://www.dnaoc.co.uk/index.php/topic,5140.0.html and Firefife has helped me identify a bunch of stuff which must have made it into the more recent kits.

If anyone reading this can help me to find suppliers I would be very grateful.

If not then it's time to start making stuff...

argy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2019, 09:01:06 AM »
I'm feeling a bit more confident about making progress with the exception of the wiper motor bracket which I'm struggling to source. Anyone got a drawing that I can work from or a spare one hanging around their garage?

I expect that I can source the other items from somewhere or other, I'm thinking here of the internal door handle and window switches. I know that there are dished wire wheels, gear sticks, exhasust systems (and a nice exhaust snap fitting) on some websites so those items should be fine.

While I look at resolving the component supply issue I'm going to crack on with renewing the various suspension / braking related bits.

Yesterday I removed the door hinge shims and fitted the door opening spacers. I also loosly mounted the bonnet catch bracket. I believe that I have a very early version of the kit and so some of the improvements that were built in to later kits still require a bit of work for me. I've had to trim the front edge of the original Z3 bonnet catch, not just to remove the lip but to trim back the overhang which protrudes through the front of the bracket by around 4mm and which would otherwise foul the panel on which the bracket is required to rest. I'll post some images later.

Today will be focussed on trimming the body panels to the marked cut lines and perhaps making a trial fit. More photo's of that if all goes to plan.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 11:10:47 AM by tenpin »

firefife

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2019, 09:49:11 AM »
There is a picture of the windscreen wiper bracket on the one I sent you with the wiper motor on it
Retired & living the dream

argy

• View Profile
Making progress but struggling with missing metalwork
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2019, 10:01:34 AM »
I'm back from a couple of weeks of winter sunshine and am cracking on with the project. Before going away I spent a lot of time on the bodywork. I have access to a large oven and managed to get all of the panels in and brought up to 50 - 60 centrigrade.

This provoked a lot of air bubbles to present themselves which have now been raked out, filled and rubbed down. Apart from the front section, all panels have been blocked with 120 grit paper and prepared with a DA to provide a key. All of this has been done as a  preliminary process, I expect the paint shop to go through all of the above, and more, before committing to paint.

Because my kit came with various bits and pieces missing I'm having to make my own brackets which is proving a challenge in the absence of dimensions so if there is anyone else out there that has a kit lying around and can send me photos and dimensions of the wiper motor bracket, seat belt brackets, fuel filler lowering plate and the bonnet catch plate I'd be very grateful.

In particular I'm struggling with the wiper motor bracket at this time. I suspect that it's a very tight fit under the wing. It looks like it slopes downward to the outside of the car which I expect is to help it to get under the wing. It's also unclear whether the motor mounting holes have been tapped or if there is a nut welded on to the back. I'm thinking here about future maintenance...