Author Topic: From the composit shop.  (Read 6654 times)

Furrari

• A wise man can control the stars
    • View Profile
Re: From the composit shop.
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2019, 10:15:30 AM »
The design modification.  In the original post on the parcel shelf I said the back of the insert would be leaf rubber and the front tee shaped.  These were determined by the traditional method of holding bits in place.  With the new panel in place you can see this won’t work.  As the new panel is 2mm thick it means that the front needs to be the leaf shape to allow for the miss match in height which tee won’t.  The back will now be tee shape.

That’s it for a couple of days as life and car shows get in the way.

Just a pic of the level change I’m on about.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 02:19:16 PM by Furrari »
Not all problems can be solved with gaffer tape.  For those there is WD40.
Not even gaffer tape can fix stupid, but it can mask the sound.

If you can’t buy it or steal it you have to make it.

Furrari

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2019, 05:20:56 PM »
Great weekend.  First show with Burton Car Club.  A small show in Market Bosworth on the Battle Field Railway line.  Free entry, free Train ride and free tea and coffee throughout the day.  Good food at sensible prices.  Makes a change for paying for everything and food at silly prices.

The Furrari is now the car of the week on the club website.

I had the parcel shelf panel in place.  Not quite long enough so I’ve added some fingers at the at the rear to give a better fit.  Just some bits of ABS bonded on with ABS slurry, should finish this mod tomorrow.  Also learned that you can’t drive with the new panel in place with the roll bar up, it gets dragged out.

Talking of learning something new, I learned you can’t stroke the cat with abs slurry on your hands.

Furrari

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2019, 04:29:51 PM »
Finished adding the fingers that hold the new parcel shelf in place.  Very solid in place with no movement but still easy to drop in place and remove.  Next job is making the “fins” that form the shape of the back of the new 'shelf where it meets the boot lid.  No pics of these yet but I hope to finish them before Ragley this weekend.  As each one is a slightly different shape it’s time consuming, thank goodness I bought myself a bench sander.

Furrari

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2019, 08:54:32 AM »
Talking of bench sanders and learning something new every day.  Don’t put your glasses on the belt of your bench sander and then switch it on.  They went the full length of the garage and ended up half way down the drive under the car.  What a silly thing to do.

Furrari

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2019, 01:28:06 PM »
Ideas are starting to come together now.  The fins are now fitted.  They are 2mm below the level of the boot lid and spaced them 5mm from the boot lid to suit the rubber strip. The top land is 24mm and the sloping face initially 45 degree with the corner between the top land and the sloping face rounded off.  They are spaced out at about 40mm ish where the outer boot lid is more or less flat changing to 25mm where the boot lid starts to rise.  The top land stays at 24mm but I’ve kept the curve where the bottom of the fins meets the new 'shelf.  I think if I maintain the 45 degree slope it will look to big and heavy and give me problems with the two outer sections.  I’ve also reduced the width by an inch a side to give me some land to work with on the outer parts.

I’ve closed the back of the fins off with .5mm ABS.  You can cut this with scissors.

I’ve filled the area of the fin chambers ( can’t think of a better description) with foam board to keep the amount of filler required down (weight and cost) to about 3mm of the final surface.

No pics at this stage as there’s not a lot to see but I will show it when it’s filled.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 01:39:41 PM by Furrari »

Furrari

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2019, 12:39:24 PM »
After many discussions and design meetings my plans for the new parcel shelf have changed.  It will still be the same shape and made from CF.  Ferrari wouldn’t have a CF parcel shelf so the Furrari shouldn’t.  I’m still hoping to use the ABS shape as a pattern/buck to make the panel.  If I can’t get it off then it will stay as it is.  The plan now is to produce the panel and have them covered in the same finish as the existing shelf ( automotive vinyl).

Edit.   The other thing is that if the visible part is CF it that it has to be 100% perfect or it will show every flaw in the surface.

Finished filling and sanding and I’ve sealed the surface with packing tape.  Sealing the surface stops the epoxy from soaking into the texture of the filler and keying it all together mechanically.

The next bit is to figure out how to do the front edge.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 05:13:27 PM by Furrari »

Furrari

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2019, 06:01:10 PM »
Actually spent a bit of time on the Furrari today 'cos the cricket was rained off.
When I started the parcel shelf panel I made the fingers that went between the original parcel shelf and the roll bar 50mm long, knowing they were too long but would be easy to shorten later.  Today I shortened them all to 30mm and rebent them to 90 degrees using the V block I made when I was an apprentice ( so it’s over 50 years old). I’ve checked they all follow on to the curve and tomorrow I can start to glue/weld them together to give a better, smoother curve, assuming there’s no cricket.  ( ABS slurry mixed ready).

Furrari

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2019, 06:51:15 PM »
The only time I get any work done is when the cricket is rained off, and it was rained off today.   Over the last two days I’ve welded a 40mm x .5mm strip on the cut down fingers that will go down the back of the roll bar. 

Next job is to make a support frame using the original wooden shape and some 25mm x 40mm battens left over from when we renovated the roof.  This will allow the CF to go on the new 'shelf inside the vacuum bag without crushing the wooden former out of shape.

This job is taking a lot longer than I thought it would, but I suppose if you are bonding 25mm - 35mm sections with 20 minutes between steps to allow the slurry to dry it will.  And this is only the first of three sections, although it is by far the biggest.

Furrari

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2019, 04:57:56 PM »
You may have seen my post “Bad News” about a small mishap the Furrari has had.  This is what’s left of the grill.  There is one long horizontal rib left and one vertical,  these should be enough to give me the correct curves to make a new grill.  The Horsey is OK but I’ll look for a better one and I have another Novitec badge and can print another mounting.

All this means that I can soon bore you all with the process of making a new grill.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 05:04:37 PM by Furrari »

kalifornia

• View Profile
    • Car Paint guru
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2019, 12:29:13 PM »
Is the rest of the car OK ?

Furrari

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2019, 08:03:21 PM »
Cal.  A few chips around the grill aperture but the main damage is that the front has been dislodged but there doesn’t seen to be any other damage other than a few chips.  Chase paints are fixing it at the end of the month but I won’t be driving it in the meantime as I scared of doing some real damage.

I ordered some ABS the day following.  The suppliers have just told me that it’s lost in transit and they’ve no stock and the size I need is a bit hard to get.

Not to worry, I can fix it.

Thanks for asking.

Furrari

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2019, 10:54:15 PM »
We're not doing well with the replacement grill.  The sheet of ABS has got lost in transit and the supplier has no more big sheets in stock and won’t have for over a week.  I think I’ll start phoning round tomorrow.  I’m not a happy bunny.