Author Topic: firefife 250 build  (Read 68302 times)

Jez

• View Profile
Re: firefife 250 build
« Reply #360 on: June 28, 2019, 10:59:59 AM »
Well done Ian - the stainless looks great!   ;)
Jez

Mechman

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 28, 2019, 11:56:40 AM »
Hi  Ian, I too had fun and games fitting the grille surround but it is so worth it.I'm sorry I missed you at Stoneleigh I went over to the stand a couple of times, but your car is looking good. My car is off the road at the moment, after having fun last year I have started on the interior. I modified MGB seats and fitted them to the z3 seat bases and I'm having fun fitted the dash! One small problem is the wiring colours on the car are not the same as the wiring diagrams! Can you remember the colours for the ignition switch? Any hope it goes well with your seats.

firefife

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 28, 2019, 03:49:25 PM »
Hi buddy,
My grille still needs some tweaking but I think I will leave that for the present, maybe a winter project when I have some more time to play with it.
Thanks for the compliment, shame I missed you at Stoneleigh. Always good to chat with fellow 250 owners & get to know them. As you know mine was on the Italian Replica stand rather than the DNAOC stand, only because they have been my club for 23 odd years. I did wander over to the DNA stand a few times & had a chat with the guys.
Just hoping my seats will do the car justice, I have seen John James MGB seats & they look good. That would probably have been a far cheaper option + I could have had removable head rests. The way mine are being done they won't have that facility, but should look right. The original Z3 seats were a complete give-away.
Me & wiring don't get along so I had a mate sort out my electrics, he used some sort of meter to trace wires, so sorry, I'm not much help in that direction. All I can do is send you a diagram I have, hope that helps. Good luck & hope to meet up with you soon
Retired & living the dream

firefife

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 28, 2019, 03:50:47 PM »
Thanks Jeremy ;)

brown_sauce

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: July 03, 2019, 01:13:28 AM »
Hello Ian,

As a fellow DNA 250 owner I have read (from start to finish) this evening your build thread - really enjoyed reading it, let's just say it brought back a few memories.

My reason for getting in touch is to hopefully speak with you about the Group Harrington chrome parts that you've successfully sourced/fitted ? Mine are still the original DNA ones and they're starting to look tired & weather beaten.

I've attached a few pics of my car by way of an introduction - BTW these photos were taken almost 2 years ago now (Aug 17).

Note: I did try and message you directly but appears that even after first posting one + year ago I am still tagged as a 'newbie' !

Looking forward to chatting, cheers Law'

firefife

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: July 03, 2019, 09:31:41 AM »
Hi mate,
Have sent you a P.M. Hopefully it will get through to you. If not, let me know & I will send it on here

Ian22

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: September 02, 2019, 02:04:15 PM »
Question for brown_sauce. That's a lovely car, and I really like the wheels you put on the car. Do you have the spec for the wheels you used, and how do they fit on the BMW hubs?

brown_sauce

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 02, 2019, 08:44:01 PM »
I imported them from http://acww.com.au/html/n72spoke.html    The guy was really helpful and the rims are good quality.

However it wasn't a straight forward fit as I had to switch out the rear Z3 hubs for Z4 ones and mill' down pair of E36/E46 solid rear discs to 272mm ?

Just remembered I made the following Youtube video of this subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzuJ4DA6wn8

firefife

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: September 15, 2019, 12:48:00 PM »
Some help please guys who have the 250, I have fitted the period mirror on the dash now - but when I removed the Z3 mirror, the door locks won't work with the key fob. I reconnected the wires & they work. I stripped out the old mirror to remove the wiring & board. (Think I will have to cut & resolder the wires to strip them out from the mirror assembly). My question is, where did any of you re-house the board? - Under the top inner windscreen trim???

Sir Percival

• Per ardua ad astra - through hard work, a Vauxhall
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: September 15, 2019, 04:14:06 PM »
Sorry mate, I have kept the original mirror because I was afraid a period one might suffer from scuttle shake vibrations.

P
If Airfix plastic model planes are made exactly to scale, why don't they fly?

Jez

• View Profile
« Reply #370 on: September 15, 2019, 04:14:54 PM »
Me too.

Jez
Jez

firefife

• View Profile
« Reply #371 on: September 15, 2019, 06:45:38 PM »
I fitted the period one & is surprisingly stable - but very small. A bit too low, not bad with hood down but took some getting used to, works with the hood up but a little too low. I have ordered a chrome suction mirror with 'dipping' facility to mount on the top of the screen, will see how that pans out.
Everything appears to work without the Z3 one except for the central locking.
Managed to dismantle the old one but can't get the wires out with the connection blocks on (too big) hence may have to cut & solder wires.
Mirror comes off very easy, just take off caps & disconnect the plugs, then twist mirror anticlockwise & comes of like a light bulb would.

MADMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: September 15, 2019, 09:17:34 PM »
how about the period one with the chrome rod from top of screen to bottom? you could slide it up or down

« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 09:23:15 PM by MADMAN »

firefife

• View Profile
« Reply #373 on: September 16, 2019, 09:22:18 AM »
That looks very MGB. Saw one at a show the other day & thought about it, but found the one I was talking about earlier on Ebay & thought I will give it a try, should arrive today or tomorrow. It also has the advantage of the dipping ability.
We'll see how it pans out. I like the look of the one I have in now, but is very small.

Smory

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: September 26, 2020, 10:27:10 AM »
Hi. I saw you went to tattoo park to drive it. Are you based in Manchester? I’m building one now but would love to see yours