Author Topic: 2FIFTY CAL KIT  (Read 40698 times)

Paul79

• View Profile
Re: 2FIFTY CAL KIT
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2016, 11:08:04 PM »
I really enjoyed reading all these comments and they all hit the nail on the head and make some very valid points.

Having been a member of this forum for 3 years now I have seen a lot of changes. What I think is great is DNA moves with the times and the market. The product range they have now caters for all tastes. Whether you want an 'in your face Ferrari', 'more under-stated Ferrari' or 'Classic-look Ferrari', you can now have it all.

But with them all, they are all buildable for the average-Joe. I'm a prime example. I had never built a car before but managed it. Yes I had tons of help from the forum but we got there together, and I thank you all again. I remember speaking to Roland on a rainy afternoon in March 2013 and he told me the best advertising for DNA was to see DNA's being completed and driven around. Go to Stoneleigh in under 4 weeks-time and you'll see that. Plenty of finished cars on show.  ;D. I can’t wait.

Photos don't do them justice. Although it is a well-used phrase, it is certainly true. I often think that about my car looking at some of the shots and I say to myself, next time the car is out of the garage I must look at that with my own eyes, and when I do it looks completely different. The camera can lie, and doesn’t show everything.

My car is now done. I don’t think I can do any more to it. Any more and I think I will ruin it. Although I didn’t think I’d say this, but for me a lot of it is about the building of them. Of course the end product is lovely, but I really enjoy the building and tinkering. I’m sure Beems and Madman understand what I am getting at. I personally would much rather spend 5 hours on a Sunday in the garage than on the golf course, but that’s just me. LOL. I haven’t done much in 2016 but last weekend as I was finishing up the wiring for the other headlight so it is ready for Stoneleigh, I thought to myself – god I love this! I’d never sell my 430 (sorry Ronan) unless I really had to, but I really want to do another one.  

So the planning for the next car is in full swing. The question is what to do? Westcoast or 250 Cali?  For me the issue is I’d like to have the Ferrari experience on a daily basis, not just once a week in the summer and once a month in the winter. I drive to the station every day for work and if I had a Westcoast I think I’d be ok to leave it in the car park every day what with it being the hard, soft top.

What is also great is both donors are great quality cars. BMW and Mercedes. I know the MR2 is a cult car with a massive following but it is a bit of a go-kart, and with cars these days being more comfy and advanced than ever we are used to this with every-day cars and this would be transferred to the Westcoast and the 250 Cali.

What this space and see you at Stoneleigh. Don’t forget your cheque book Sir P!

Paulie.  ;D

CodeGeek

• Build IT
    • View Profile
    • Build Thread
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2016, 12:12:48 AM »
Since I bought my SL 500 donor car I've lost track of the number of time I've been told it's too nice to use in a kit car.   My parent's go crazy when I say I'll be chopping it up soon. I love the car but would never have bought one if I didn't want West coast.  And the fact that it is such a nice car is why I'm going to stick with the West coast. But the cost of  the 250 is compelling too and like sir p say the donor z3 is cracking if a little ugly car.  I agree with paul79 I think DNA now have all the bases covered when it comes to cost and style of range they support.
Simon Lawrence

DNA AUTOMOTIVE

• The main dude's
    • View Profile
    • www.dnaautomotive.com
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2016, 06:25:25 PM »
Video of the finished car.. http://youtu.be/AQL8lp0D1Ss

CodeGeek

• Build IT
    • View Profile
    • Build Thread
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2016, 06:56:21 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Simon Lawrence

Lee22

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2016, 11:04:53 PM »
Looks really good Brian...

Only thing letting it down mate are those MG rear lights....! Can't you find anything closer to the original lense?

Lee

MADMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2016, 09:05:26 AM »
Looks really good Brian...

Only thing letting it down mate are those MG rear lights....! Can't you find anything closer to the original lense?

Lee
              Likewise Bry, but it,s a small detail on a Fantastic car
MADMAN 8)

seriph

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2016, 11:56:16 AM »
Good video. I see where the differences are now. That said, this is an incredible improvement over the Z3.
Steve

wishing we could get cars like these legally registered downunder

Lee22

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2016, 02:10:57 PM »
It is small detail Madman, I agree, BUT this is what makes the DNA cars a million times better than other kits out there....
Attention to detail is a real must in my eyes.... (You know that by now  ;D )

tricky

• skateboarding is not a crime
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2016, 04:01:45 PM »
on the ferris beuller car they were mg rear lights
getting real ferrari 250 California rear lights are extremely rare, the ones I saw were used items and in poor condition and were a fortune from USA
 using off the shelve parts help keep the costs down , for Dna to invest in tooling to make 10 -20 sets of rear lights weren't feasible at the time as this was ment to be a one off car for myself alone

Lee22

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2016, 10:41:08 PM »
Hi Tricky,

I agree with everything you say.....

But, you know how some of us want them 'Just so'..... It was just my opinion.... And for me, I wouldn't be happy with a light cluster that is so recognisable......

Rest of the car looks amazing, as I thought it would coming out of DNA.....

As said though.... Just my opinion.

Lee
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 08:27:31 AM by Lee22 »

seriph

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2016, 12:34:55 PM »
Would you pay 129 euros for an accurate lens?

http://www.okp.de/xtc2/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=250+gt+lens&language=en&x=0&y=0

I have no problem with the tail lights and believe the Californias used different ones from time to time. But I don't live in the UK where the risk of identifying they're from an MG is considerable. But honestly, the Z3 has bigger issues than the taillights. Interior. Interior/Headlight depth and covers are nice but seem short though I'd need to see a proper profile shot and some dimensions. Windscreen rake and quarter glasses.

All that said, the vehicle as seen, is a great effort.  It is not wrong to say no two Ferraris of that vintage were alike. They were truly handmade and often highly tailored for their owners.

There is another option as yet possibly unexplored. Perhaps they could be printed?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 12:44:09 PM by seriph »
Steve

wishing we could get cars like these legally registered downunder

Dock Green

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2016, 04:04:26 PM »
http://www.superformance.co.uk/v12/lights.html

£69.95 here - but I have no idea if they will fit the panel created by Brian.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

tricky

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2016, 07:14:43 PM »
that's for the lens only, you will need rubber gasket and the metal holders, which are hard to get.
the car has been moulded around using mg rear lights, if anyone wants to use og Ferrari lights and they want to spend the money getting them ,and re jigging the rear for them to fit then then go for it, :D
it's how far you want to go and willing to spend

Lee22

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2016, 08:39:25 AM »
Blimey
I wish I had never mentioned it now  ::)

It was only a passing comment and only 'my opinion'.....

tricky

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2016, 12:12:02 PM »
no offence lee, we looked at all the possibilities, as this was going to be a budget or starter kit, then bottom line costs were needed