Author Topic: Furrari build  (Read 192621 times)

Furrari

• A wise man can control the stars
    • View Profile
Furrari build
« on: January 30, 2014, 01:45:41 PM »
Just the details of a few ideas I'm trying for the new car.  It can't have its own build thread 'cos at the moment it doesn't have a name.
Not all problems can be solved with gaffer tape.  For those there is WD40.
Not even gaffer tape can fix stupid, but it can mask the sound.

If you can’t buy it or steal it you have to make it.

Furrari

• View Profile
Re: Furrari build
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 02:00:59 PM »
The New Furrari/ California is based on a 2004 SL500 with about 90,000 on the clock.  Mechanically it's good having spent over an hour on the Star Computer at WDM just round the corner from DNA being checked.  I've used WDM since I bought my SLK a few years ago.

The interior is not too bad, well it's good for a car with 90,000 on the clock.  It's grey and black and a bit boring.

The carpets are grey and are in good condition as they have been covered with over mats.  I want black but Merc carpets are moulded so difficult to renew.
After contacting Merc I have found that the carpets are a polyamide which can be redyed.  I took the boot floor mat (cos it justs lifts out) to Mars Midlands in Bloxwich who steam cleaned it and redyed it black.  Looks very much fresher than before so that is the route we will follow for the rest in due course.

No pictures, it's only a boot mat.

sundog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 02:26:16 PM »
i had both cars sl 350 sl 500 they are both amazing
sonny :)

Furrari

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 02:57:33 PM »
While I am on the subject of boot floors on the SL there is potential problem with the hydraulic and pneumatic pumps on both the SL and the SLK.  If the boot seal drain block or the seal deteriorates then the spare tyre well will flood.  The lowest point of this is the depression the pump motors and connections.  If these corrode it's a £500 bill for bits.  
The remedy is to drill a hole in the bottom of the well and fit a grommet before the problem manifests itself.

The other source of damp if putting a wet roof away but like all other convertibles you are stuck with this although there is a sliding tray over the luggage which needs to be in place before the roof can open or close.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 07:49:49 PM by Furrari »

Furrari

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 05:59:21 PM »
First of all a warning.  Don't mess with the electrics of the SL unless you are good with sparky things.  SL electrics exist in a parallel universe.  It's verging on Terry Pratchetts Multiverse.

The radio, sat nav phone thingy.  
The SL came with the standard Comand 2 unit of a 2004 car, albeit with a Bose speaker upgrade so the sound quality is good.  The sat nav is disc based but the disc is 2003/4 vintage Merc unit and an upto date disc is £150.  Cheap ones (£25.00) are available of a well known auction site but the MB owners club web site is full of threads about problems with these.  The standard setup will not accept addresses by postcode.
No reversing camera upgrade is available without fitting a TV upgrade unit which is a gray area as it's illegal to fit one without having it wired so that the handbrake must be on before it will work, but you can't reverse with the handbrake on.  They are hard to get hold off and cost a typical MB price.
The hands free system is based around a Nockia phone that hasn't been made since 2003 but an adaptor is available from Viseeo for about £100..
The Star computer at WDM had showed a canbus error on the steering wheel phone control.

It had to go and a replacement was required.

Two local audio experts showed me the door when I asked for a radio for an SL so it's fame precedes it.
Just before Xmas it visited Bass Junkies it Wolverhampton and spoke to Smudge about my requirement.
Went for the Pioneer F950 DAB,  expensive but it was to the spec I wanted and he seemed to know what he was on about.  This pioneer unit is pretty much top of the range and is big brother to the unit I had in the 430.
It went in just before Xmas for a day and a half.  I went to collect it and the central console panel was sitting on the passengers seat, and I don't think they had had a customer who was so pleased that his car was returned in bits.
Why was it still in bits.
As I am rapidly getting used to, bits for the SL don't fit the SL.  The centre console won't fit back if you have the Pioneer trim panel designed to fit the SL (just needed trimming a bit, well a lot really) and the wiring to link the steering wheel volume control to the radio didn't fit.  A new one would have to be ordered.
On the plus side the radio is brilliant, the hands free Bluetooth is 100% but of course only worked on the head unit due to the can bus error.  The reversing camera is working and even the wife likes it.

The steering wheel wiring arrived with Bass Junkies at the end of Jan.  Guess what, it fitted but didn't work (this is direct from Pioneer not a third party). Bass Junkies ( I wish I could think of an abbreviation of the name) set about getting Pioneer bits talk to SL bits.  They reprogrammed the can bus.  Net result, the volume control now works and better than that the hands free on the wheel works as well.
The Pioneer unit lets you change the splash screen so it will get the the avatar I have photoshopped for this forum.

It has been the law since the start of the year that all new cars must have a tyre pressure monitoring system.  The new Furrari didn't have one as it's only been available since 2005 on the SL but this can be added to this Pioneer unit but I won't do that until the new Furrari had its new wheels.

Expensive? Yes.  But it all works now.

Photo, as soon as the monsoon season is over.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 07:14:52 PM by Furrari »

rsoles

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 07:06:10 PM »
Well done Furrari, can't wait to see it..... pictures as soon as poss please..... :P :P :P
You might think i'am but i know you are !!!!!!!

kalifornia

• View Profile
    • Car Paint guru
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 08:52:45 AM »
That's a lot of useful information Furrari.
It answers some of the questions I had about the SL500, as I am thinking about getting one too.

I have lots of other questions and concerns too, I would like to take to you about. Are you local to Birmingham by any chance, I am in Walsall on Junction 7, M6 ?

Furrari

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 09:27:34 AM »
Kal
Better than B'ham, I'm in Burntwood near Lichfield so it's straight up the Queslet and the Chester Road.
Give us a phone on 01543 683433 and I'll have the kettle on.

kalifornia

• View Profile
    • Car Paint guru
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 09:59:08 AM »
Fantastic, I'll give you a call and arrange, I'll bring my 360 down too. Looking forward to it. ;D

Furrari

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 10:14:22 AM »
Watching a Top Gear on the iPad last night.  Item on bargin big sports cars.  One was the SL55.  Only real problems they said to watch for was the suspension and the boot leaking problem so that ones already fixed.

Knowing what I know now I would make it a condition of buying an SL was to have a Star computer report.  It's £40 to £60 worth of analysis.

I've had no problems with mine other than the air con rad.  If you drive with the roof down except when it's raining (not that it ever does in the Midlands) who needs air con.

tricky

• skateboarding is not a crime
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 10:40:41 PM »
The new revised California from ferrari looks nice, DNA adapt your kit to look like that,

Furrari

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 09:44:23 AM »
It's taken long enough to get this far.  And I don't think the Italian company would be happy.

Furrari

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 04:19:11 PM »
Whoo hoo.
The SL goes in on Monday to become the New Furrari. ( no official new name yet)
Trimmer is coming with me to take the dash out.

Pics will be posted if any are available.

Promised to be ready for Stoneleigh.

ghall164

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 06:32:22 PM »
Can't wait to see this take shape furrari if your last build is anything to go buy she will be a beauty  ;)

rudycob1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 06:46:41 PM »
Looking forward to seeing this as I know it will be fantastic. :)
Exciting times all over again Furrari. :)