Author Topic: Alternative Cougar seats.  (Read 3099 times)

brillo

• View Profile
Alternative Cougar seats.
« on: February 07, 2013, 05:43:11 AM »
Hi everyone.

When I get the money together for my 5cudo I will be definitely on a budget. I am quite happy with the Cougar interior, with a few tweeks here and there and will also be keeping it a 4 seater for the Grandkids. Just wondered if anyone knows if there are other seats I could fit in the front that I could get from the scrap yard. I would need them to be black leather. I just think the Cougar seats are a bit to saloony and not at all sporty. I do like the idea of the electric seats though just don't like the shape.

I realize there isn't going to be a seat that will drop into place so I am expecting it to need a bit of work, just needs to keep the cost down as much as possible that's all. Not to fussed whether or not they are heated but electricly operated would be cool.

Just wondered if anyone had any ideas that's all. I am not bothered if they don't look like Ferrari ones just that when you open the door It's not an instant giveaway.

Any advice would be appreciated. Just don't call me a tight arse. :D

Brillo.

replicaman

• View Profile
Re: Alternative Cougar seats.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 08:28:22 AM »
My only advise would be PLEASE PLEASE do not skimp on the interior as this is just as important as the exterior

regards
The Personalized gifts dude!

brillo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 12:23:07 AM »
Thanks for the response Replicaman.

The full interior has never been on my list. Way to pricey, no offence to DNA, no doubt if you are looking for a totally authentic look, it is reaonable. The fact I will be keeping it as  4 seater is a giveaway in itself. I love the asthetics of cars and not bothered that much by performance. I will have tinted windows all round so to odscure the view of the inside and keep the sun out. It would be an everyday vehicle so will need it to be comfortabe. I would change a few bit's of the Cougar interior but nothing much. I am happy with the interior, just not the boring front seats.

Is it possible for seats from another vehicle to be made to fit and for the electrics of those seats be made to work.

Cheers.

Brillo.

sundog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 02:17:29 AM »
Hi brillo.

In laymans terms the answer to your question is yes.

But it will cost you. Try a search on google and you will see the prices. As for fitting if your able then go ahwad otherwise its more money to fit it!! Its al money money money im affraid lol.
sonny :)

Lord Beany

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 10:25:39 AM »
By Brillo,

Try some Ford forums for advice. I think there is a specific cougar one. Somebody is bound to have done a swapp before.

EBay is full of sports seats from Porsche, BMW z, Honda s2000 etc even Ferrari (but they're not as cheap), with electrics. Fitting would be a case of inspecting the difference in subframes to find the simplest one to modify. Any decent auto electrician should then be able to wire them in.

A lot of manufacturers sport seats have a motif embossed in them though so a panel replacement may be needed by an upholsterer. If electrics are not really important you could get aftermarket seats as I did, which are much easier to fit. Custom subframes can even be bought for some cars, although the Cougar is not really a popular model. If you go the aftermarket route I'd spend as much as you can as you will need a quality folding action to access the rear seats.

Happy hunting.

Beany ;D

brillo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 12:46:49 AM »
Thanks everyone for your advice.

Very much appreciated.

I guess the bottom line is basically anything is possible. By the way your Lordship, I'm not expecting anything as good as your seats but just something a little bit sportier. Yours are my favourite and a yellow prancing horse as well. :)

Unfortunately my 5cudo dream has been put on the back burner till I get my work visa sorted. They don't make it easy to live in Oz. :(

Cheers.

Brillo.

seriph

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 11:40:06 PM »
first of all I agree 100% that the interior matters as much as the exterior   -   the world abounds with reps that look fine on the outside, only to cause severe brain-pain as soon as a door gets opened   -   that said, even on a budget, exemplary results can (and must) be achieved. As already pointed out, one can find myriad examples of excellent seats online but it doesn't have to stop there.

So many funky elements can be fabricated or picked from other cars (I LOVE WRECKING YARDS!) to make yours a unique and beautiful interior, while firmly adhering to a modest budget. I did it on a 74 911 that I rebuilt into a 1993 3.6 litre twin turbo replica   -   those who know Porkers from that era know that their interiors were almost an afterthought, so it wasn't that hard to do a better job that original. The most expensive element was the flashing LED door locks and even then I opted to NOT buy the ribbed ones from the 1993 vehicle but instead bought the ones from a lesser model   -   when in the down position they were exactly the same thing and literally were a tenth of the price.

So .... I reckon do precisely what you're doing, get great advice from the guys here and elsewhere - check out uber-funky interior elements from a range of cars and make an interior to die for that doesn't kill your budget. It's all possibly  -  lots of folks have don it.

I am now off to see what's so special about the seats and have a think about what might look good instead

:D
Steve

wishing we could get cars like these legally registered downunder

brillo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 10:32:46 PM »
I totally agree Seriph.

When I get round to owning one of these beasts I will make sure the interior is very nice and classy. It will be on a budget so lot's of trips to the scrap yard for me. Spotted a couple of very nice black leather Mazda RX8 seats on Ebay that fitted the bill. Only problem might cost a lot to get them to tilt forward. So maybe seats from a 2 door coupe is better. No doubt some nice Alpha seats would be nice.

They would have to be comfortable. Although this car may look like a tyre shredder, I want it to be an everyday cruiser.

I can't do this project yet but I can still dream about it. :)

Brillo.