Author Topic: Phils 4thirty build  (Read 223594 times)

Phils99

• If I build it, it will work!
    • View Profile
Phils 4thirty build
« on: September 10, 2012, 12:10:13 PM »
Im getting excited now...

Just spoke to Roland and have booked a visit to DNA on Saturday.....and from the start, these guys are going to put themselves out and come into the workshop on a Saturday just to meet me! great customer service right from the very beginning of my project, as I am a failed Extreme builder, this is just fantastic ...just like everyone has said.

This is the start to my build thread and I plan to show the minute detail from how to strip the car down right up to the end as I feel that a lot of builders take the "simple to them" stuff for granted and dont actually show the detail, now I know that most of you will think that "how to remove a wing" is very straight forward, but I am aiming my thread at the total novices like myself and hopefully I will help some people on the way...

so here is the start and my first pictures...obviously I will be waiting for the kit to arrive, but I intend to start the stripdown when the weather turns as I am driving around for fun in the MR2 at the moment. (I think this is your car is it Steve? hope you don't mind)

some more of the donor:

Interior...notice its the SMT and I plan to try to fit the paddle shifters from a thrustmaster PC steering wheel!

more to come....

Phil
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 12:11:49 PM by Phils99 »
What colour should a Ferrari be?...ROSSO of course!

beemaman

• theres only one way to build
    • View Profile
Re: Phils 4thirty build
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 01:09:25 PM »
hi phils99

good to see your ready for your build thread now.good guys at dna buddy so you wont have the same problems as the extreme kits.

if you get time pop in im only 10 mins away from dna have a look at my 430 maybe get some ideas too :)

good to see another dna customer on here :)

Furrari

• A wise man can control the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 03:15:20 PM »
You don't say where you are based.  If you are coming down from Up North you are welcome to stop in Lichfield and see the Furrari (pm me for contact details).  The Furrari is a factory built car and is the one DNA use on their stand at shows at the moment.

Hope to see you at shows soon.
Not all problems can be solved with gaffer tape.  For those there is WD40.
Not even gaffer tape can fix stupid, but it can mask the sound.

If you can’t buy it or steal it you have to make it.

Phils99

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 03:22:16 PM »
cheers guys,

I am based about 15 miles west of Hull, hence the Extreme purchase in the first place!

Beemaman - I have spent MANY hours going through your build thread again and again and I would love to see your car in the flesh, I am looking at hitting DNA at 10:30, so probably about 1-2 hours with them (as they havent got many cars in at the moment..) so I could pop round about 12-1pm? drop me a PM with your address/mobile if that would be OK mate.

Furrari - I was at the Newark show and saw your beauty on the stand

I cant wait to be able to attend the shows in my own DNA 430!

Regards
Phil

MADMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 06:16:23 PM »
Im getting excited now...

Just spoke to Roland and have booked a visit to DNA on Saturday.....and from the start, these guys are going to put themselves out and come into the workshop on a Saturday just to meet me! great customer service right from the very beginning of my project, as I am a failed Extreme builder, this is just fantastic ...just like everyone has said.

This is the start to my build thread and I plan to show the minute detail from how to strip the car down right up to the end as I feel that a lot of builders take the "simple to them" stuff for granted and dont actually show the detail, now I know that most of you will think that "how to remove a wing" is very straight forward, but I am aiming my thread at the total novices like myself and hopefully I will help some people on the way...

so here is the start and my first pictures...obviously I will be waiting for the kit to arrive, but I intend to start the stripdown when the weather turns as I am driving around for fun in the MR2 at the moment. (I think this is your car is it Steve? hope you don't mind)

some more of the donor:

Interior...notice its the SMT and I plan to try to fit the paddle shifters from a thrustmaster PC steering wheel!

more to come....

Phil
Yes thats my previous 430 and I dont mind you using any of my pics. in your build thread, good luck with your build, although I,m sure you will find it a breeze.
MADMAN (Steve)

Phils99

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 01:51:54 PM »
well.....just driving back from visiting DNA (well my wife is actually driving!) and I must say, what great guys Roland and Brian are, they answered all my questions and took care of any of my concerns, so much so that I have now placed my order for a 4thirty full comp kit so all i need now is the mondeo fuel cap!

the 6 week countdown to collection now begins!

also, afterwards, I was invited to beemamans to see his completed car, for which I have read his build thread many times, and I have to say it's absolutely fantastic, the care and attention to detail is unbelievable, so much so that my wife who doesn't really rate kits cars also thought it was beautiful and it's now thrown the colour white into a maybe for my cars colour!

guys I am going to love being a member of this DNA club as you all seem to be great people, can't wait to get my car finished and at the shows.

regards
Phil

Phils99

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 05:05:51 PM »
......having said that, I just searched the forum for mondeo and fuel and can't find any post that  tells you which mondeo fuel filler cover you need!

which "mk" mondeo do I need it from?

Furrari

• A wise man can control the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 06:31:27 PM »
Good to hear you've placed an order, I hope the Furrari gave you inspiration.  Even better to hear that your good lady is a convert.
See you at shows soon.  You don't have to be finished to join us (we even let Madman join us) :-)
Not all problems can be solved with gaffer tape.  For those there is WD40.
Not even gaffer tape can fix stupid, but it can mask the sound.

If you can’t buy it or steal it you have to make it.

Darren

• If it don't fit cut it bash it weld it paint it
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 06:45:55 PM »
Something to maybe think about is a power upgrade before the kit goes on, there's loads of options, turbo, supercharger, different engine.

Turbo and supercharger can go on the 18vvti without any major mods to the internals
 ;)
Well, I'm into the 11th year of the project, could it be ready for Stoneleigh 2020, doubt it. The longest DNA build ever

rudycob1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 11:48:24 PM »
Well done. Great to hear that you placed the order.
I have my appointment booked with DNA for the 28/9 and really looking forward to it.
We could be building our cars together. I will be in touch, just been busy with work.

Interesting advise on engine upgrade. Can you give me advise, opinion, suggestions, etc regarding turbo upgrades. Very interested to know more about this, including costs, power increase, who you recommend to do it, etc.

Rudy

beemaman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 08:48:18 AM »
Hi phills99

Good to see you and your wife.and glad to see another DNA member.
You won't go wrong with car buddy you will think it's an airfix compared to extremes.

Can't wait to see the start of the build buddy and anything you need to know about prep or paint don't hesitate to contact me :) and thank you and your wife for the kind comments

Regards
Beemaman

rudycob1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 09:26:14 AM »
Hi Beemaman,
I too have been following your build and got the magazine article etc. on your fantastic car.
As I said I'm down at DNA on the 28/9. Is there any chance I could come and have a look at your car. Must say the attention to detail on your car is second to none and would appreciate seeing it in and getting some tips from you. My name is Rudy. If that is OK with you can you pm me and forward me your tel. Number. Thanks.

beemaman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 09:44:54 AM »
No problem buddy Ile pm you my contacts and you can pop I'n and have a look at my build.

Anything i can do to help just give me a call :)

rudycob1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2012, 09:54:20 AM »
Thanks Beemaman. Can you also pm your address please.
Appreciate your kind offer to help.
All you guys are fantastic and so glad I joined here.
I suppose we all have DNA to thank for getting us all together by producing such a fantastic product.

Darren

• If it don't fit cut it bash it weld it paint it
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2012, 12:21:29 PM »
The Mr too brutal website http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/ has a fair amount of info regarding turbo's and superchargers on the mr2 engine, Roland's old 430 had a supercharger, so a conversation with him will give you an idea of which way to go, after all he used it all the time.  ;D
Well, I'm into the 11th year of the project, could it be ready for Stoneleigh 2020, doubt it. The longest DNA build ever