Author Topic: Str00dle 5cudo Build  (Read 64491 times)

str00dle

• View Profile
Re: Str00dle 5cudo Build
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2011, 11:39:40 AM »
26th - 27th (26th was my birthday so only spent half a day working on it)

We made some small changes to the back end to get it seated down perfectly and primed all the areas the kit would touch. Also extended the fuel line and cut the petrol flap area out.

We then got the rear end all bonded on. (thank god, must have test fitted it 30 times, think i'm too picky about getting it just right) here are some pics

We then spent Sunday lining up the front end, fitting the boot on, playing with the boot catch and giving the inside a quick cleanup. 

Attached the diffuser late on but its not fitting very well so need to trim some bits down i think.  But really starting to come together now. Here are some final pics for today.

Next weekend will bond the front end on and test aligning the bumper and bonnet. and doing the little things during the week like extending the bonnet catch and playing with the door handles.

Billywhizz

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2011, 12:33:08 PM »

On the Sunday I cut them off and fed a cable tie up the drainage hole I had drilled and tied the scoop to the mesh to hold that in place while it set.  While doing this I looked at how to fit the hose at the back and bend it so you can't see the brake lights down the scoops.
Not sure how others have done this but this is how i did it, used a bit of builders strapping and attached in the hose at one end, then pulled it tight till the hose was bent to the correct angle and attached another screw or bolt, then cut the end off.

Hi str00dle, looking good. I bonded my hose on after the kit was fitted. The bend formed itself by gravity alone and the hose sits snuggly between the Cougar and kit, it's not going anywhere.
Just an observation...what have you used to bond the back end on? It looks 100 times cleaner than mine did at that point, I got the stuff everywhere.
Bill
Why put off 'til tomorrow what you can do today?

beemaman

• theres only one way to build
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2011, 01:16:14 PM »

hi stroodle

looking mighty fine buddy.love the look,billywhizz is right does look well clean lol

whens it going to paint buddy,are you doing the prep work before paint...

keep the pics coming

str00dle

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2011, 01:55:56 PM »
Cheers for the nice comments guys,

billywhizz - i used the stikaflex stuff DNA gave me but don't you worry i did get it everywhere, still on my hands hands today, my only advantage was i used tigerseal which is the same on my evo before so i know what i was in for. still hate the stuff.

beemaman - i did try not to get it everywhere, but there are bits on it all over that the pics don't show. especially the boot area where i picked it up to put it back on before i had wiped my hands.

don't know about paint yet, still seems so much to do but i will ring DNA during the week to book it in, or at least find out what the waiting time is. we are going to try and do all the prep work ourselves to keep the cost down. plenty more weekends gonna be spent sanding down.

Billywhizz

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2011, 06:03:03 PM »
Cheers for the nice comments guys,

billywhizz - i used the stikaflex stuff DNA gave me but don't you worry i did get it everywhere, still on my hands hands today, my only advantage was i used tigerseal which is the same on my evo before so i know what i was in for. still hate the stuff.

beemaman - i did try not to get it everywhere, but there are bits on it all over that the pics don't show. especially the boot area where i picked it up to put it back on before i had wiped my hands.

don't know about paint yet, still seems so much to do but i will ring DNA during the week to book it in, or at least find out what the waiting time is. we are going to try and do all the prep work ourselves to keep the cost down. plenty more weekends gonna be spent sanding down.

Hi str00dle,
I was advised to use fibreglass webbing and resin to bond the back end to the roof line, you might want to check that with DNA :-\
The stikaflex is, as it says on the tin, quite flexible and you don't want the filler to crack with body movement when it's been to the paint shop. Give 'em a ring maybe?
Bill
Why put off 'til tomorrow what you can do today?

str00dle

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2011, 07:14:27 PM »
cheers billywhizz your right, i watched the video back i had and brian did say use matt and resin.  not a problem as it was so flexible on the top where it was thin i should be able to bend it up a little and get loads of resin in there.  then i will use some matt to make a good strong bond.

beemaman

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2011, 10:38:39 PM »

hey stroodle

if you need any help with info on the bodywork give me a shout,i know its extra cost but if your doing the prep yourselve and there will be plenty of fiberglass dust etc and filler dust it may pay to get a dust extraction machine,they cost around £250 new or maybe pick one up on e-bay for a lot less.saves a lot of dust and mess buddy and really are a godsend buddy,i use one in the workshop and you will be amazed how dust free it is..just a thought lol

so what plans are next on the agenda ......

str00dle

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2011, 08:44:03 AM »
cheers beemaman, i will look to do most of the sanding outside as its starting to get warmer now, but the extraction machine sounds like a good idea so i will start investigating, any recommendations on makes etc?

next up is to fix the roof bonding, tweek the front and then bond that on, line up bonnet and boot, and get the door handles all sorted and the doors bonded on.  so plenty to do :)

beemaman

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2011, 07:50:37 PM »

hey stroodle

heres a pic of my new dust extraction machine ive recently brought,this one cost around £350 and is a mirka buddy but you can get cheaper ones,ive had a rupes one for 2 years and i use it everyday so its a good investment....

have a look on e-bay buddy  :)

str00dle

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2011, 09:11:41 AM »
Hey Guys

Been a while since my last post, don't know how Tenpin finds the time to take so many pics and still get so much work done.  by the time i finish in the evenings its getting dark.
Anyway here it goes, been doing lots of little jobs and lining up of bits, while my brother has been cracking on with the roof.  We are booked in for paint on 28th April so mad rush to get it all finished.
Here is what we have been up to: (sorry for the lack of pics i keep forgetting)
□   Bonnet catch is extended
□   front end is all bonded on
□   bumper and bonnet are nearly aligned perfect 
□   Drilled the indicator holes
□   sorted the rear boot bars
□   fitted the gas rams
□   cabled up the 3rd brake light
□   started sanding down the gaps to fit the rear lights
□   drivers door is sorted just tweeking the handle slightly
□   roof fibreglassed and filled (2 days of sanding done so far)
□   windscreen tray in and filled round the edges
□   scuttle panels trimmed to fit
□   trimmed boot window and side pieces

and now here come the few pics i do have.

wing mirror bonding to the plate with bolts in

front end all lined up, not quite perfect but getting there

back end and boot lined up, diffuser needs raising up a little

roof being filled and sanded

rear end lining up

F430kid

• View Profile
    • Viking Metal Detectors
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2011, 10:26:17 AM »
Well done it's looking great  8)

STRDAL360

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2011, 07:46:46 AM »
Nice work, Str00dle.

Lifestyle

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2011, 09:12:35 PM »
Man, I can tell this going to look wicked!

Sick ride!

str00dle

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2011, 12:51:09 PM »
So another weekend gone and i am shattered, we did 2 full days and this is the progress so far.

We primed the roof to give us an idea of where still needed filling and sanding, but this is a shot from Friday night just after we had primed it.  You will notice in later shots it is filled and sanded again then primed again before hopefully a final sand to make it as flat as 3 bodge it amateurs can manage.

So Saturday and Sunday was spent doing lots of bits in different areas, the drivers door mirror was tweaked to get the best fit and now looks pretty good.

the fuel filler flap was sanded inside and painted a satin black then test fitted again

the gas rams were fitted after the bit by the boot brackets was filled, sanded and primered.

boot is now nicely lining up and you may have noticed the rear lights were fitted as well.

tried to get them all lined up and will do some fine adjusting when it comes back from paint.

also fitted the number plate lights but forgot to take a picture, its only 2 rectangular holes so not too exciting.

and drilled the indicators holes, with some help from the Ferrari website to get them in roughly the correct position.

so now I tried to finish off the back end, mainly the boot, got the Perspex trimmed up and the black side pieces nicely lined up and then test fitted them, its just held in place with some temporary black trim pegs at the moment.

STRDAL360

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2011, 01:26:16 AM »
Great work, man.  Your car is coming together very nicely indeed.