Author Topic: Easiest way to fix wire wheel on a 250  (Read 2128 times)

johnjames

• I am Brian the orangutan have you got a banana
    • View Profile
Easiest way to fix wire wheel on a 250
« on: December 07, 2017, 04:47:02 PM »
Hi guys if any of you have tried to fix a wire wheel onto BMW Z3 hub you will find it is very awkward if you try and hold the wheel up which is quite heavy and try to put the bolt in there is a good chance you could cross threaded the Bolt,
The easiest way is to get an M12 piece of threaded rod and screw it into the Hub and then just lift your wire wheel on and then you can put the bolts in quite easy see picture hope this helps because if you cross thread the bolts you could work out a bit expensive and it means you can't drive your car all the best John James.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 04:50:07 PM by johnjames »
Drive it like you stole it

johnjames

• I am Brian the orangutan have you got a banana
    • View Profile
Re: Easiest way to fix wire wheel on a 250
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 04:48:48 PM »
M12 threaded rod in hub.
Drive it like you stole it

Furrari

• A wise man can control the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 10:54:44 PM »
My old Citroen came with one of these.  The one end was pointed to make the wheel easier to locate and the next bit down was knurled to make it easier to grip to take it back out with your hand covered in grease.
Not all problems can be solved with gaffer tape.  For those there is WD40.
Not even gaffer tape can fix stupid, but it can mask the sound.

If you can’t buy it or steal it you have to make it.

jaguartvr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 09:11:14 AM »
I have two bits of threaded bar in the tool kit for this very purpose. I would suggest that you wrap the bar in electrical tape so that the thread doesn't damage
the chrome plating around the holes. The coarse thread acts like a rasp file and will soon remove the plating.
I also have a tapered pry bar, slip the bar through the hole in the wheel and then into the hole in the hub. You can then lift the bar which lifts the wheel and you can then easily slide the wheel down the bar and onto the hub.
I find this way easier as the bar takes the weight of the wheel, the MWS bolt on wires are very heavy. I have recently obtained a second hand set of Dayton bolt on wires, they weigh about half the amount
of the MWS wheels which makes them much easier to put on.

jaguartvr

• View Profile