Author Topic: John James, 250 SWB TOURING SUPERLEGGERA GT SPIDER  (Read 60971 times)

jaguartvr

• View Profile
Re: John James 250 GT
« Reply #105 on: December 13, 2017, 07:49:35 PM »
wheel spinners, triple eared £50 for 4, chromed metal not plastic. They also sell 2 eared.

http://www.raceways.co.uk/Spinners.htm

There are 2 different types of mounts. you need the stud mount for the MWS wheels.
Picture of the spinners and wobble bolts fitted here

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5892&page=15

For the wobble bolts

20x m12 1.5 x length you need
Mr Nut
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 07:54:10 PM by jaguartvr »

johnjames

• I am Brian the orangutan have you got a banana
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 14, 2017, 02:04:28 AM »
Hi Jaguartvr just been reading about your car on madaboutkitcars especially page 12 about badgers as I'm not going to put Ferrari badges on my car. Anyway keep up the good work now I know where you are I'll be watching your build and getting ideas you take care John James
Drive it like you stole it

jaguartvr

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 14, 2017, 08:46:03 AM »
I do have a few extra "california" boot badges if you need one.

Sir Percival

• Per ardua ad astra - through hard work, a Vauxhall
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 14, 2017, 12:12:25 PM »
Hi Jaguartvr just been reading about your car on madaboutkitcars especially page 12 about badgers as I'm not going to put Ferrari badges on my car. Anyway keep up the good work now I know where you are I'll be watching your build and getting ideas you take care John James

As a Mexican baddy once said to Clint Eastwood "We don't need no stinking badgers"

I do have a few extra "california" boot badges if you need one.

JTVR - got any pictures of the Cali badges?....are they chrome/what font/dimensions etc?  might be interested. By the way I saw you recommended the guy who did my hood to someone else, and he used him....good on you...Dee at Croydon was great and it's nice of you to bung him a bit of business based on my recommendation....thanks for that.
If Airfix plastic model planes are made exactly to scale, why don't they fly?

jaguartvr

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 14, 2017, 12:38:13 PM »
Here is a link to my build thread that shows the badge fitted to my 250.

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5892&page=17

The font was copied from a California glovebox badge, made of polished stainless steel.
There are no pins on the rear, I fitted mine with a thick super glue and taped it until set. Been on for about 6 months and hasn't come off.
You could use a clear silicone or double sided fixing tape.
I had a few made, £40 paypal gift if you want one.

measures 20 cm long and the "f" 5.5cm high.

To me, the whole point of the forums is to give tips and steal ideas!

Percy, was happy to pass the details of your hood on, they made a great job and is on my list for when I get some extra pennies.
One word of warning.
I fitted a cable to my inner door lock routing it through to the bonnet and a loop. I then locked the car on the remote and using the loop on the end of the cable
I was able to pull it and unlock the door, genius I know. However a month later the remote stopped working so again I tried the release cable but this time it would not open. The locks had
deadlocked. The only way in was to force open the zip on the soft top and get my daughter to climb through. Even then the doors would not open until the key was put in the ignition.
With the replacement soft top the rear window is sewn in so no access.
If the remote fails (common problem) you are FUBAR'd.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 12:52:27 PM by jaguartvr »

johnjames

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 14, 2017, 01:27:53 PM »
Hi sir p
 if you click on the link above and then go to page 12 you will see the California badge.
 At the moment I've got the car up on axle stands fixing my back bumpers. As I have two of them it will make the car look so different so why it's up in the air I shall fit my new exhaust. The only problem it's bloody cold in my garage as the wind is blowing under the bottom of the door all good fun will post pictures as soon as I finished John James

jaguartvr

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 14, 2017, 02:29:48 PM »
Pansy, I'm lying on a mat outside on the drive.

Sir Percival

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 14, 2017, 02:42:00 PM »
Thanks for the info. I already got locked in once.

Now I thought exactly the same as you that the car had deadlocked, but for me this was not the case. Where the door latches, on the B pillar, on the actual latch, there is a micro switch. If you fell around the latch bar you can feel it. In my case I was locked in because the latch on the door was not going far enough around the latching bar to make this switch, but it WAS far enough around the latch pillar to hold the doors shut.

It caused me all sorts of head scratching until I figured it out. Now yours may not be the same, but it's worth checking, because it holds the doors shut but it does not make the electrical connection telling the electronic central locking system that the door is locked....and then the whole system throws a wobbly (the solenoid will work but the latch will stay mechanically around the latch pillar, so it will appear not to unlock).

The way to tell is to reach up inside the door and manually push the latch...this can be difficult as you must have the top down so you can get in (or out) and I can't remember whether you can reach it with the window down (I think you can but not sure now)

Anyway, yours may not be the same problem....but worth a check.

Sir Percival

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 14, 2017, 02:45:56 PM »
Pansy, I'm lying on a mat outside on the drive.

I am lying on an ice flow in the North Atlantic....nude.

johnjames

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 14, 2017, 04:55:32 PM »
Hi sir p.  That is too much information I hope you're not going to post a picture. I have put some old curtains along the bottom of the garage door I've got my little electric heater but it's still cold I'm going to call it a day and hope it's a bit better tomorrow. I've got the right hand bumper on been having trouble with the left trying to get them to look level all good fun. I've got a blow up lilo I'm thinking about putting an old Blanket on the top and stick it on my little trolley to get me underneath to fit exhaust at least I'll be off the ground and if it floods I can float out looking forward to see more pictures of your car it gives me inspiration keep up the good work. John James

Sir Percival

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 14, 2017, 07:17:38 PM »
I am hoping to start wiring the dash this weekend....so I also hope it warms up a bit.

MADMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 14, 2017, 11:02:42 PM »
John what area do you live?
MADMAN

johnjames

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 15, 2017, 08:29:41 AM »
Hi madman I live in the land of the lorries sunny Kent where it supposed to be sunny at the moment it is bloody cold you have Aladdin cave up north and I have aladdin's cave down south was there something you wanted as I know you're the man with three DNA cars looking forward to see what one you're taking the Stoneleigh ?

MADMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 15, 2017, 07:05:09 PM »
Hiya John
                  No I dont need anything from Aladins cave (southern branch) lol. Ian who has recently joined dna oc asked me to ask you as being a new member he cant add comments as yet. He lives in Sussex and wondered if you were in the same area.
Keep up the good work and updates
MADMAN  8)

firefife

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 16, 2017, 05:03:10 PM »
Hi John.
I like the wheel spinners you have, can you use the original MWS stays through the wheel centres or do you have to get the ones you did & mill them down.
Retired & living the dream