Author Topic: Jeremy's 2Fifty Cal story begins....  (Read 62430 times)

Jez

• View Profile
Re: Jeremy's 2Fifty Cal story begins....
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2017, 09:40:39 AM »
Sir Percival, I have to agree with you! My favorite of the two was indeed the Burlington, but at the time I built the Javelin I was really attracted to the concept of a four seat convertible - in the 80's this was not a common sight! I always thought the Javelin looked reasonable from the rear, but I really did not like the front end at all.
The nice thing today is that there is absolutely nothing I don't like about the 2Fifty Cal - it is a beautiful car from every viewpoint.
Jez

Sir Percival

• Per ardua ad astra - through hard work, a Vauxhall
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2017, 02:42:56 PM »
Well said mate  ;D
If Airfix plastic model planes are made exactly to scale, why don't they fly?

Jez

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2017, 12:34:30 PM »
Well I have spent the last 3 weekends trimming the body kit and additional panels. Had to do this outside on the back lawn as it creates so much dust. The whole garden looked like it had a dusting of frost until we had some rain!
Anyway, most trimming is now done, with the exception of the bumpers that I still need to finish off. One tip for anybody else - when trimming the rear of the boot section, leave the return edge on as this works nicely and gives a much larger surface to Bond onto the bodywork. You just need to flair this away in the corners.
I am now dry fitting all the bodywork, and making small adjustments where necessary to get the best fit possible. This is time consuming - you end up putting the body on and taking it off at least 10 times, and needing another helper for this means I had to drag my lovely wife out many times!
Once I have adjusted and checked the fit of all panels, I'll then remove them all, and then etch back and prime all bonding areas on the metalwork and GRP.
Also had a battle with the exhaust adapter supplied by DNA. On my 2.2 the distance between the pipes on the car was 2mm less than the adapter, and the flange on the adapter was not quite large enough to slide onto the pipes. I spent two hours one Saturday fighting with it before giving up. After a lot of measuring, and making templates I went back to see Brian, and we hot-footed off to his supplier for a bit of tweaking. They widened the flange and also opened up the distance between the two pipes. Glad to say that it’s now fitted snugly, and they have the new measurements for future manufacturing. Adapter is now fitted, but the exhaust is removed again until after painting.
Jez

Sir Percival

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2017, 01:03:17 PM »
This is dead useful Jez....I got DNA to fit the body on mine but, if I do another, I would like to do it myself and save a few bob...so watching with keen interest.

Jez

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2017, 05:44:56 PM »
This photo shows how leaving the horizontal bit on the back of the boot lip provides a nice flat bonding area on the metalwork. You just need to sand it down quite thin.
Jez

Jez

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2017, 05:49:43 PM »
I also found that I needed to remove a little of the corner of the metalwork on the Z3 wing, as the GRP was just resting on this corner. Taking an angle grinder to this part allowed it to sit nicely onto the body either side of the boot.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 05:56:32 PM by Jez »
Jez

Jez

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2017, 02:40:38 PM »
Does anybody know what colour this is? I like it.

Jez
Jez

Sir Percival

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2017, 04:54:54 PM »
Jez, have a look through this;

http://www.ferrari-collection.net/color/ferrari_colors.htm

Looks like Blu Sera to me.....but I am colour blind so you need to have a look yourself.

Rippin6Gears

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2017, 05:01:41 PM »
Probably Blu Chiaro

Dock Green

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2017, 06:46:30 PM »
Good choice & I get a chance to inspect the colour before it goes on the Daytona  ;D
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Dock Green

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2017, 06:52:04 PM »
As this
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

OXO

• DNA Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2017, 06:56:15 PM »
What a super project ! Thanks for sharing.

Jez

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2017, 02:44:26 PM »
Well its been over a month now since I last posted, so an update is due.
I have now got the rear section bonded on, the front section bonded on at the A pillars, and the boot lid all fitted and working, with the solenoid fitted and tested. Cabling this up will wait until after paint, so it has the customary temporary boot release cord at the moment.
I also assembled the wiper system, and after a bit of messing around with fitting, that is now completed, wired up and tested before bonding on the front section to the A pillars.
I decided to take a chance on fitting a stubby antenna replacement for the radio, so I remounted the amplifier at a 45 degree angle pointing backwards. The 10 cm antenna (£5 from Amazon) screwed on replacing the original one, and this all fits nicely underneath the GRP rear wing.
Early testing indicated the reception was at least as good as, if not better than the original antenna, so I am very pleased with this neat, hidden approach.
I had cut the body in the filler hatch to the shape shown on the scribe marks, but after fitting the hinge and leaving it screwed on for a few weeks, when I removed it I saw some cracking of the fibreglass around the holes. I decided this would be a weak point (probably not much glass fibres in this area?) so I cut it all out, and made a metal plate to bolt the hinge to. This plate was then bonded in place behind the hatch.I'm now happy with that.

Had a few trips to DNA to see Brian and the boys - always fills me with enthusiasm when I see the near completed cars they are working on!
And I got to see the progress on Dock's new project - looking good.

Unfortunately I am away on business for two weeks, so not much more will happen until April, but when I get back, I'll be fitting the bonnet, then finally bonding in the rest of the front section.
Then I will turn my attention to bonding on the door skins and then fitting the bumpers and nose/screen trim surrounds before its ready for paint.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 03:33:50 PM by Jez »
Jez

Jez

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2017, 03:02:58 PM »
Antenna solution
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 03:33:19 PM by Jez »
Jez

Sir Percival

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2017, 07:14:12 PM »
Looking really good Jez. The antenna solution very clever. Good progress, well done mate.