Author Topic: DNA 3Sixty Ferrari 360 kit car Build :-)  (Read 167368 times)

CdRsKuLL

• Administrator
    • View Profile
DNA 3Sixty Ferrari 360 kit car Build :-)
« on: September 26, 2007, 12:36:15 PM »
Because the project was started before these forums I have pasted in bit from other forums..

Without the donor I think it will cost me about �14k to complete. My donor was a cat D 03 plate MR2 Roadster in silver (�5000) .

DAY 1

Well I finally made a start stripping my Mr2 Roadster (Spyder) or whatever you call it.  Its taken me around 3 hours to strip all of the panels off the car and remove the exhaust. That includes 3 cups of coffee and taking pictures of all the panels (for eBay), tidying up and putting the car back in the garage. :-)

I have never stripped a Mr2 before, and did it just by feel, no instructions or anything so I think anyone should be able to do what I did in 3 hours, as I must of spent 20 mins looking for tools I knew I had but couldnt find.

Tomorrow if the weather is good I will be trimming the doors and preping the rear end ready for the kit coming later this week. I will also be ordering some tyres for my 360 rims ready to fit them next week.

I wont be rushing this build as it doesnt need to be ready for anything, but I would like it finished before December (cold weather sets in)

no turning back now !!!

The above pics shows the hood drain holes which you should clean out whilst you have the chance, they just pull off. Rinse them under a tap and clean any crap out of them, if these block then your carpets will get wet !! you can raise your hood a little and rinse them through with water if you want as well :-)

ok tomorrow is grinding day :-)

DAY 2

Right, spent about 3 hours today on the car. I havent done as much as I expected but did need to go to the shop (cutting disc's) and call DNA up for some quick advice about cutting the doors ready. I managed to strip both doors and remove the glass. I then marked out both outer skin doors that need cutting and also manged to get one side cut + the middle skin done. I only need to bend over the inner skin now and thats one door finished. So I only expect it to take 40 mins max to complete the other door as well. Most of today was spent checking , checking and re-checking my cut lines and making sure I wasnt going to do anything stupid. It would only take me 2 hours now to do both doors. But I would allocate 5 hours to this job for the first time. I also trimmed the rear bumper as I'm going for the DNA Exhaust (�350) as its sounds really good :-)

Below is a pic of my markings on the outer skin

Below is a pic of the outer and middle skin cut, only the inner to fold in, 5 mins of a job I hope.

What I would say is I havent done any grinding for about 10 years, so it took me a while to get back into it. Its quite easy really, I was dreading this part of the build, but I had no problems at all. Just take your time  ;D

I will post tomorrow with pics of the other door done and the inner door bent ready for the DNA Door cards, but thats about all I can do. The cars then ready for the kit.. Total time around 8 hours, so I could get a car ready in a day now no problems at all :-)

I still need to extend the fuel pipes but the bits for that are in the kit. I wont be picking it up till Monday now as thats the next free day I have and the van I'm hiring is cheaper during week days. O yeah picking up some suspension bits as well so I can get my wheels on :-)

Steve

DAY 3

Done to fit the Ferrari 18 inch rims

ok, went and got a 7ib sledge hammer from the local diy shop (�12.99) also bought a tin of underseal and a spray tin of it as well.

After spending 15 mins, hitting these joints last night with my hammer, trying to make them flat and not getting anywhere I was worried it might take me all day today.. 10 mins with the BIG F'in Hammer (my new best friend) and each side was done :-) . I then got the grinder out again and tidyed both sides up and then wire brushed both bits and got my underseal out..

Whilst I had the paint pot out I did the rear bumber bits where I had shorted them and also the doors.. ... I know I neednt of used all that on the doors, but I got carried away.. lol

I also hoovered out the bottom of the inside of the doors where loads of metal bits had gone from grinding. I got what I could out, but then used the spray tin of underseal to coat the whole of the bottom panel.. I mean loads as well :-) so thats it all done and dusted.. back in the garage now till Tuesday now.

Total time so far spent, including looking for tool etc.. 14 hours approx. however I think I could cut this down to 8 next time.

Heres some pic's :-)

cheers

Steve

DAY 4

phew... what a day its been. but I'm now home and its all fitted in my garage :-)

Just want to say thanks to DNA for making it all SOOOOO EASY. They spent ages going through all the bits, and I have to be honest if I only remember 10% of everything they said it will be enough to finish the car.

Right... I came home and started to unload all the bits, everything can be lifted by one person, but you need two to fit the rear section.. hence the guy across the road here got a knock on his door.

So I needed to place the rear over my car straightaway as I dont have anywhere to store it. so I reversed my car out, opened both doors and slide the rear section into place. Now I'm very happy with this quick fit, I think I will only need to trim one tiny tiny bit by a few mm's and the rear will be in place ready for bonding and fixing to the car.  I want to do the fuel pipes / rear springs first mind..

I have took a quick pic of everything just put in the garage as I wont be able to do much work on it since my eldest lad (4) finishes nursery tomorrow and doesnt start school till september. (talk about bad timing). but I will try.

I know its looks a mess, but the rear sections nearly on :-) the front will be just as easy., then its a case of just aligning all the panels up, DNA gave me plenty of tips on this.. so I'm confident I should be able to do it all within a few day.. IF I can get afew day free.. time to buy some flowers for the wife me thinks :-)

This was the end of the full days I could spend on the car due to my little lad leaving nursery early and waiting for proper school to start so I ended up just working a couple of hours every night.

I am also going to be fitting a car pc into the 360, this is a picture of a nav pod I bought. Its a proper toyota MR2 part.

This is how it looks in the car..

-----------------------------------------------------

At last. After spending a few hours on the car I extended the fuel pipes, trimmed the back up alittle more so it fits lots better and fitted one rear spring, spacer and 360 wheel. Tomorrow after tea I will do the otherside which should only take me 40 mins I think.

Here are afew pics so you can see what I've been upto. Once I have done the other side then I will be fitting the front and starting on the doors :-)

spent afew hours tonight mounting the front body bracket with m10x80 bolts and then lifted the front on and pinned it into place. Its not bonded yet just tac'd on just so I can make sure everything looks right and the doors fit as they should, then I will bond the back inplace and then start on the doors :-) (think thats the right way will confirm with DNA tomorrow) The bonnet is just rested on by the way.. not even looked at that yet.

Anyway heres some pic's I lifted the door on just to see how well it fitted.. very impressed cant be far off it seems :-)

Just want to confirm a couple of things tomorrow with DNA before I progress any further.. dont want to do things the wrong way round ...

more to come as always

Well another 2 hours spent. Tonight I took my time and aligned up the front height and position. I have also pinned the front to stop it now floating as I'm more than happy with the position :-) I placed the bonnet on and used this as a guide as well as a trusty tape measure and the old EYE just make sure everything lines up right. I took a picture of the bonnet(hood) in place, this is just placed.. and you can see how well it sits.. couldnt be more happy with it. :-)  I then had a good look at the doors and needed to grind a little more metal off one bit to get it to sit right. Because this car has been involved in a accident I think its causing the passanger side (left side in the UK) door to need trimming by a couple of mm at the front join.. yep only 2mm I think and it will be fine. So this is no biggie at all and will only take 5 mins with my sander. So the next bit is to bond the back on and then start handing the outerdoors on and start on the hinges. :-)

Heres some pics...

Picture of bonnet, its not secured but fits just right :-)

Top of the door at the front just needs a couple of mm sanding off , drivers side is spot on

Just checking the lines out

Picture showing how good the fit is.. :-) very happy

Right.. thats it. More to come

Well I'm fed up with working from a small garage.. fed up with the weather.. BUT very pleased with the kit..

Tonight I worked outside in a bit of rain.. drizzle, got fed up off not getting anywhere for a day. So I spent an hour messing about with one of the doors and I cut out the exhaust cat bit thats needed to fit the bumper.. so the rear bumper's on with 3 bolts.. thats why its not quite sitting right on the left hand side, just needs nipping up abit.

As the door goes.. its getting there, it opens but rubs in a couple of places so I need to spend another couple of hours making sure its just right, no point rushing this bit as I would regret it later. I need to make the front alittle more ridged as I only put one fixing tap screw type thing at the top and bottom, this will make the job a bit simpler with the door. Will phone DNA up in the morning and ask there advice on this.. Just wondering when I can bond the front on really.. :-)

Anyway.. heres some pic's

more to come.. depending on the bloody weather !!!

I had a couple hours free today and it was nice outside.. so I pushed the car out and managed to get a little further :-)

Both doors are on and open as they should. I still need to spend an hour on each getting them just right but I feel like I've got somewhere today :-). I also made a start on one for the door handles and I'm happy with it so far. I just need to find my dremmel to make the hole the right shape then I can fix the door handle to the lever.

Once both doors are on and I'm happy then I can bond these in place and then bond and fix everything else (cant wait)

Below are a few pic's, very much a work in progress but I thought it was about time I posted something..

cheers

Steve

Got a few more pic's for you. The car IS being collected a week on monday for spraying so I need to get it ready SUPERFAST..

heres some pics

more to come :-)

not done much tonight other than make a big balls up of drilling the holes for the hoop bars.. I have managed to repair the hole to just the right size :-) I good old lid off a paint tin did the job. I havent had too many problems to be honest.. its just a case of checking and re-checking before doing anything.. sadly I forgot to do this when I drilled the hole. Anyway a bit of filler will finish the hole off :)

I might infact do the other hole like this so they will both match spot on.

a blessing in disguise maybe !

Well I spent 3 hours today and now both the hoops are on the car. I might redo one of the end holes as it looks a little off and will bug me till the end of my life.. why the hell I didnt spent an hour doing it.. so I will. lol

I have been messing about with gaps tonight on the roof bit. I think there very important and can make or brake a kit.. so not much progrss really.

I did take a crappy pic mind. Remember the hoop bars have padded leather fitted to them.. So they will look alot thicker in the end..

more to come.. goes to paint in 6 days :-)

Well had a busy day today. Getting all the jobs done ready for it going to paint on monday :-) So I have finished off the doors and handles. I also fitted the bonnet catch and the petrol flap. Just a few more jobs left to do and it will be all ready :-)

couple of pics of the petrol flap, the screws are just to hold it whilst it drys.

more to come

Well its a big day really for me, my baby has left the house naked and I'm hoping she will return all gleaming and red :-). I had to remove the front bumper to get her on, but it was only held on by a few nuts just incase you were wondering.

I am just about to take my seats down to get them recovered. I have decided on black with red stitching. This way I wont need to recover the lower part of my dash as its already black. I am also taking down my gear gater. The door cards will be taken to him next week.

will be having a bit of a break now, I have the hall / landing and stairs to decorate and two boys bedrooms.. so I shall be busy.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 08:26:04 PM by CdRsKuLL »
The fat one..

CdRsKuLL

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: My DNA 3Sixty Build :-)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 12:57:18 PM »
So my cars in the shop, its been there just over a week.

I went down yesterday and dropped some bits off like the headlight kit , exhaust , door cards and stuff. They have already got my front / rear / lights carrier in primer and are working getting the rest of the car soon. They have been fitting extra brackets to it. Some sill / front wing / rear section brackets and bonding on the sills / doors, the brackets are to give it alittle more strength. Its all costing extra but as its my car and will be for sometime I decided to go down this route. I spent afew hours there helping one of the lads fit the new lower wisharms. I may of struggled without his help. So thanks m8.. :-)

The cars coming together slowly now.. really looking forward to getting it back.. BUT I am not rushing these guys.. only when its right will the say its ready and not before.. and I'm more than happy with this, after seeing a 355 they have done in the shop.. I know the wait will be worth it.

Anyway.. here's some pic's :-)

Front and rear bumper..

Headlights

This is a picture of the new lower wisharm fitted and the hub extenstion / trackrod end extention.

They have got the exhaust on but it needs rubbers and aligning (I have the rubbers here .. dooh)

Well more to come, this thread is upto date now. :-)

Steve
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 08:26:44 PM by CdRsKuLL »
The fat one..

CdRsKuLL

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 10:20:12 AM »
Well I'm of down there again today for a few hours. I am having a play with the doorcards and I will try.. honest to get a quick vid of the exhaust sound.. so you can all see what I'm on about and hopefully  kill anyones doubt about the sound :-)

Will just see how it goes.. pics will be later today.

Steve
The fat one..

CdRsKuLL

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 08:07:48 PM »
:-) spent a few hours over in Liverpool today at the paintshop. The guys there are cracking on with my car. They have done the tracking. They have also checked and drilled all the light fittings ie.. side indicators which I had forgotten about. They had also fitted the exhaust system all be it a couple of rubbers which I swapped in today and added some springs to the coupling or what ever its called where the exhaust connect. They also mounted the rear bumper and got it all aligned up spot on.. They said it might need tweaking when the rear grills are on but I'm very happy with it so far :-)

What did I do.. well I got them some dinner and had a bacon and egg barm... I left my coat there.. which is the second coat now, so I'm really running short on them now.. lol. I did do abit mind, I have been preparing the doorcards ready for spraying and upholstering. These come in 3 pieces each, a outer one thats painted the inner one which is covered and the door handle which again is covered. You need to prep these by trimming them all up and also cutting afew holes in them ie.. door handle / speaker etc.. I have nearly finished one :-) The red paint in the picture below was me playing to see if it helped on sanding a small radius around the speaker cut out.. did it help.. err yeah a little. .lol

anyway heres some pic's :-)

I will be preparing both cards now ready to take down on monday to dry fit them.

Steve
The fat one..

sbsport23

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: DNA 3Sixty Ferrari 360 kit car Build :-)
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 01:43:04 AM »
This is great. Did you hear back from DNA on the exhaust?

I'm really looking forward to you posting a clip of the car running, looking drop dead gorgeous, and the smile you'll have as you tear off down the road. After all the car is meant to be enjoyed.

sbsport23

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 01:57:34 AM »
Also, are you redoing the interior - carpet, seats, doors, dash, and all? I'm wondering how much this would cost and if I can budget that in or not.

CdRsKuLL

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 07:32:42 AM »
This is great. Did you hear back from DNA on the exhaust?

I'm really looking forward to you posting a clip of the car running, looking drop dead gorgeous, and the smile you'll have as you tear off down the road. After all the car is meant to be enjoyed.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 09:53:20 AM by CdRsKuLL »
The fat one..

loonielex

• Still saving!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 12:51:54 PM »
Oh Steve You lucky lucky lucky man!! not only to be getting a nice car
you've fallen on you head with getting a kick ass builder/ finisher as well
(something in short supply in the garage world from past experience)
Cheers Andy

mikey

• Novice
  • I'd rather be flying, or driving the 3sixty!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 08:45:18 PM »
So have you sorted the mystery of the exhaust note yet and also, you gonna reveal the name of the shop you're using? They sound like an ace, rare bunch!
Live fast: Die Young!

DNA AUTOMOTIVE

• The main dude's
    • View Profile
    • www.dnaautomotive.com
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 08:56:07 PM »
We can undertake builds for customers also and builds I mean to all stages from simple part kit fit to full kit fit through to turn key and anything in between.
so if anyone wants help with any part of the build process we are always available to help by giving instructions or as an alternative we can do parts of the work if any one wants assistance.

CdRsKuLL

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 09:50:12 PM »
Exhaust will be played with tomorrow.. will avi it from my camera.. (which is pretty good). DNA confirmed its the same exhaust, so I will wait until its on the road before passing final judgement, but DNA have also said that if i'm not happy with it they will swap it no problem at all. Roland has always said if I need help with anything just to give them a bell and he does always answers his phone, so hats off to them.

The exhaust does sound good, but it might be because it wasnt warm or paul (from the paintshop) wasnt rev'in it high enough.. will find out tomorrow :-)

Steve
The fat one..

mikey

• Novice
  • I'd rather be flying, or driving the 3sixty!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 12:39:54 PM »
Depending on the internals of the exhaust, it may just take a few miles to 'loosen' up, so to speak. Had this with many bike exhausts over the years. They start slightly muffled but soon become louder. I wouldn't worry about it as i'm sure it'll sound ace anyway.

Was talking to her indoors last night and her opinion is that I wait a while and save more cash to get a more recent car for a donor. Low miles, 6 speed g/box etc. I agree but I am beginning to get a bit impatient. i just hope DNA will still be selling the kit by the time I get sorted. I think the way you are doing it is best. ie, the painting and final prep being done by people who have done it before. Will see what I require doing and then probably ask DNA or the guys you are using, for a quote. I don't want a turnkey because the whole point is to do most of the stuff myself.

Looking forward to your next installment Steve. don't keep us waiting.
Live fast: Die Young!

CdRsKuLL

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 04:59:15 PM »
Hi m8, yeah not to worried about the exhaust at the moment.. worst case is I swap it over. so theres no rush. I have as promised recorded the sound. I converted it over to mp3 and also found a a sound snip of a real 360 so you can listen. Its not far off, just needs that rasp. Like you said I need to really give it time to settle down, only running it for 5 mins isnt good enough to judge.

I have spent a few hours today doing my door cards, there getting there. I will be fabricating some little brackets which i will take pic's off later, these will hold the handle in place.

anyway.. here are your mp3's

My 3sixty exhaust. - http://www.freedrive.co.uk/360/3sixty.mp3
Real 360 exhaust - http://www.freedrive.co.uk/360/360.mp3

more to come :-)

Steve
The fat one..

sbsport23

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 05:26:44 PM »
Awesome. It does not sound quite like the real one but it does sound close enough. Next step, gut those precats?

CdRsKuLL

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007, 06:34:09 PM »
Yeah the precats will make it louder.. I will be looking at replacing the down pipe anyway when I get a turbo. So I will just wait till then I think. :-)

Well, they have started flatting it all and getting it ready for primer. The mirrors are finished now and ready for primer. I will post osme pics of the little brackets I'm making tonight for the door handles.

Steve
The fat one..