Author Topic: Beany's F430 Build  (Read 232459 times)

Lord Beany

• View Profile
Beany's F430 Build
« on: June 28, 2010, 11:54:43 PM »
And so it begins!!!!!!

Started the strip down on Sunday lunchtime, but only managed to remove a couple panels as my wife got rushed to hospital. :(

The last two evenings, after visiting hours and with a helping hand from my son, have seen the entire front and rear stripped. Just the rear quarters, the exhaust and a few more interior items to remove and i'm ready to mark up, crank up the compressor and go to work with the cut off tool.

Other items on the to do list before i collect my kit are a polished short shifter, polished alloy gear knob and Gate, and a Storm single wiper conversion.

I have decided to use the standard black leather MR2 seats, but have removed the panel with the embossed MR2 Roadster logo and replaced them with an embroidered Prancing Horse logo on black leather. All stitched by my own fair hands. (I've got the chuffing sore fingers to prove it too!)

Will get some pictures added soon of my amateur upholstery work and other items.

Stay tuned!

Beanyfelix. ;D

Darren

• If it don't fit cut it bash it weld it paint it
    • View Profile
Re: Beany's F430 Build
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 08:09:07 PM »
Don't sell or throw away any Mr2 bits, as you build the car you'll need certain items as you go along.
 Luickily I've got the space, so far I've taken up a fair corner of the lounge, spare bedroom and an area outside the workshop, oh and a car space on my drive, but that's for the A8 Donor.
 Enjoy your build, you'll love the result
D
Well, I'm into the 11th year of the project, could it be ready for Stoneleigh 2020, doubt it. The longest DNA build ever

Lord Beany

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 10:03:43 AM »
Thanks for the advice Dangerous,

You're not kidding about the space required, although your conversion is a tad more extreme than most. I've built a mid level 1/3 of the length shelf in my garage, which is holding all the MR2 parts, although the seats are in the bedroom. I'm gonna have to relocate most parts prior to collecting my kit, so all the new bits are to hand in the garage. Who needs a Dining Room anyway?

I'm back at work now for two days and two nights, so will give a progress update in a few days.

Work always spoils things!

Beanyfelix ;D

Lord Beany

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 06:23:26 PM »
Well, work has been preventing any progress on the car for the last few days, but I think i have finally managed to reduce some photos to a small enough size to be able to post them, so here goes.

This is the MR2 I am basing my build on. A black 2002 model, with manual transmission. Purchased originally because i was planning on the finished article being black, but have since changed my mind.

Lord Beany

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 06:28:53 PM »
And, as promised, a couple pictures of my attempt at embroidery and automotive upholstery. The Prancing Horse is a bit larger than the genuine article, but when i am not trying to replicate a genuine interior, i think i can get away with it.

Beanyfelix ;D

Lord Beany

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 07:39:09 AM »
Hi Guys,

A little more progress to report, Pics as follows:

Pic 1: Removed O2 sensors from manifold to check condition of Pre-Cats, appeared OK from top side.
Pic 2: Removed Manifold to check underside of Pre-Cats, there were very early signs of degredation, so i decided to remove them to protect the engine.

Beanyfelix ;D

Lord Beany

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 07:44:36 AM »
Am having problems adding 4 photos at a time, so here is the rest of the Pre-Cat removal.

Pic 3: Pre-Cat material removed to where it can cause no harm. This comes out fairly easily using a long screwdriver and hammer.
Pic 4: Pre-Cat free Manifold. No longer a threat to my engine. A good blast of air from the compressor has removed any potentially harmful remeining fragments. If you carry out this procedure, remember to where a facemask so as not to breath in the harmful material.

Beanyfelix ;D

Lord Beany

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 07:57:05 AM »
On to the body work now.

Car is fully stripped of all body panels, most of the interior, and i have also removed the door glass. Gonna have these tinted, while they are out of the car.

Body has been marked up with all cut and fold lines. For a more accurate guide to carry out this process, i paused and took stills of the 430 Build Videos at particular points, then put them in to a document and printed them out for easy reference.

Passenger side has been cut and folded where applicable and red oxide primer applied to protect any bare metal.

Pics as follows:

Pic 1: Passenger door marked for cutting.
Pic 2: Passenger door outer and centre door skins cut and door mirror mounting plate removed. I used a 3" Air Cut off tool for this job, thinking it would be a quick process, however it took a fair while, although the time was worth it for a nice neat cut, as opposed to using an Angle Grinder. The lower door line for the F430 is now clearly visible.

Lord Beany

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 08:02:59 AM »
Pic 3: Cuts made behind Passenger door, to metal work and rear hood trim.
Pic 4: Rear Quarter folded over and air inlet raised to higher position to align with 430 intake.
Pic 5: Rear Bumper bar shortened.
Pic 6: Inner skin of door folded to allow fitment of replacement door card.

Will be a short while before another update as i have to prep and spray a trials bike that i have been building for my son.

Tara for now.
Beanyfelix ;D

Lord Beany

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 08:04:24 AM »
Beanyfelix ;D

Lord Beany

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 08:06:35 AM »
Hi Guys,

Not too much to update i'm afraid. I'm still working on the finishing of my son's Trials Bike.

By the way, if any of you have a son who wants a Trials bicycle, don't think you can save money by chopping and cutting a 26" mountain bike frame to make a 20" trials bike frame as i did. It has been a fun project, but incompatible parts have caused me to have to purchase items that probably exceed the cost of a second hand bike. Oh well it's nearly complete and it will be unique. Lol.

I have managed a little work on the car, between final bike prep and spraying.

All cutting and folding, with the exception of front arches (waiting until i have my wheels to get correct clearence in front arches), is now complete, ready for the rear of the kit and door panels to be placed straight onto the car when i unload them, saving on limited storage space. I have also fitted the Storm single wiper conversion and polished short shift gear lever and gear knob. I did manage to sheer a bolt securing the gear change mechanism in place, this was due to the rear right mounting partially sitting on a press line in the metal bracket that the centre console screws to. This mounting has now been trimmed to clear the press marking and has bolted down tight, producing a lovely short and positive gear selection. It looks good too! Will post a picture next time.

Waiting for Roland to return from holiday now, so he can give me a date to collect my kit. HURRAH!!!!!!!!

I'm like a little kid. Bet i won't sleep the night before going to DNA HQ. LOL!

Beanyfelix ;D

Lord Beany

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 08:51:13 AM »
Hi Guys,

Not much development to report, i'm afraid.

I have completed the trials bike i was making for my son and have just returned from a short trip away so am desperate to continue work.

I am hoping to have a collection date from Roland soon (Please!!!!!!!!!).

I have been buying little bits and pieces to assist with the build and some items for trimming and finishing, just need the kit to do anything with them.

So, while i am waiting i shall give the garage a clean out and make some space for the many parts i shall soon have in my grasp.

Below is the car stripped and ready for the kit to be fitted.

Beanyfelix ;D

Lord Beany

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 08:52:52 AM »
 ;D

MADMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 09:40:48 AM »
looking good, time to advertise all your panels, lights etc. mr2 roadster o.c. is where I sold all mine.
I think Roland gets more holidays than me.  ;D
Greece is calling me again.  8)
MADMAN 

splne1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2010, 05:34:23 PM »
Sweet! update!  I start stripping mine in 2 weeks.  My donor is being brought from Texas to Virginia here in the U.S.  Can you say excited!!! I think I have made sure I have all the proper tools about 10 times by now. I talked to DNA Autoworks and I'm planning on taking the family up to see his shop after the donor arrives to show them what my goals are going to be.  Keep up the good work and the good posts.
FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK!!!