Author Topic: Furrari build  (Read 192576 times)

Furrari

• A wise man can control the stars
    • View Profile
Re: Furrari build
« Reply #750 on: July 05, 2018, 08:34:51 PM »
Air Con.

When I had the Furrari as an SL a local company tried to change the radio head unit and ended up breaking the switch panel below the radio ( they denied it of course).  An original style one was not available so I fitted a panel from a later car ( Merc say it’s the correct, direct replacement).

I’ve never had the air con blowing very cold, never needed it, but I thought it would be nice in this heatwave.  Had the gas checked and it was OK.  First thing that comes to light is that on the old switch panel a button is labelled “ econ”   This turns the air con off.  On the new panel the button is labled A/C,  this turns the air con on.  A small but slight difference.  It helped a bit but not much.  A session on the star computer found the fault.  The sun light sensor had gone.  Not failed but gone.  The original DNA build had never replaced it.  Well replaced it is the wrong term 'cos there was no place to fit it although they have left the plug for it in place.

I’ve ordered a new sensor ( only one left in the factory, but I only want one).  I think I can fit it in or behind the cooling grill on the bonnet, we'll see when we get it.  Some models fit them on the dash but that’s a big job.

Watch this space if you are having an A/C problem.
Not all problems can be solved with gaffer tape.  For those there is WD40.
Not even gaffer tape can fix stupid, but it can mask the sound.

If you can’t buy it or steal it you have to make it.

nigelhob

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: July 06, 2018, 11:48:20 AM »
Hi Furrari

We met at stoneleigh i need a new dummy caliper for my
westcoast you said you had a couple just wondering if
you have located them if so could i buy one.

Many thanks

nigelhob

Furrari

• View Profile
« Reply #752 on: July 07, 2018, 04:48:41 PM »
Nigelhob.

I have found ( I never realy lost) the PU, original, DNA, calipurr but I am reluctant to let it go as I need one myself.  However if you go to “Fibreglass and things” thread you can see that I have made a split mould to make one from FG or CF.  I’m currently experimenting with vacuum bagging CF parts which will give us a better job than FG but I need the practice.  PU is not viable for me as there is a high cost of investment in equipment and limited use when I’ve got it.

It’s my intention to do a few more CF jobs to gain experience and then go the required number of calipurrs in a carbon fibre/twaron mix ( twaron is an aramid similar to Kevlar)

Please bear with me as my learning curve is near vertical at this stage. ( and it’s hot and smelly working with this stuff)

M

Furrari

• View Profile
« Reply #753 on: February 14, 2019, 12:41:22 PM »
Not been on this thread for some time but it is related to the original build.

The Furrari failed its MOT due to headlight missalignment.  The headlight beam was way out of where it should have been ( LH side only).  Investigation showed that one of the lugs that hold the bulb in place had broken off allowing the bulb to twist.  Only solution was a new projector unit.  Ordered a new Hella unit from Car Builders Solutions.  Fitted it and went for adjustment and retest.  Failed again.  This time because the beam patten kicked up the wrong way, as though it was for a LD drive car.  No, CBS's catalogue said it was for a RH drive car.
I phoned CBS, no, Hella listed this as RHD.  CBS contacted Hella and got back to me within half an hour.
When The Furrari was built, Hella made two units, a LD and a RH drive one. DNA of course fitted a pair of RH drive ones.  In the subsequent years the design has been changed so there is only one style, and it’s a universal one.  They all come out of Hungary set to LH drive but all it needs is a tweek on the (hidden) adjustment screw to convert it to RD drive.
So if you get new Hella units for your car, look at the back of the unit.  Below where the high beam wires go into the housing is another plug.  Pull it our, turn the screw clockwise, put the plug back.  Job done.  Easy when you know how.  To do the job, less than a minute.  To find how to do the job, about a week.  Hey, that’s kit cars.

Furrari

• View Profile
« Reply #754 on: March 11, 2019, 09:54:30 AM »
I’m doing a couple of jobs in the engine bay using ABS sheet ( I’ll show the job when it’s finished). They are just flat sheet, sprayed black, with a rubber trim super glued on the edge.   One of the rubber strips flipped while I was positioning it.  The glue made a bit of a mess of the surface.

No problem, sand it and respray it, it’s only 18” square.  Didn’t go to plan.  As the primer dried cracks appeared on the surface.  Hmmm.  Resend and respray.  This time the the cracks developed into fissures, so bad they looked a bit like the pot holes in the roads around here.

I’ve decided to scrap this bit and start again.  I can use this as a template so half the job is done.

A bit of research on the web revealed the problem.  When ABS sheet is made iit's given a harder skin.  When you spray it the paint dries before it can affect the skin.  When I sanded it I removed the skin so when I sprayed it the paint solvent attacked the softer ABS below.

I’ve posted this in the hope that it stops somebody else wrecking a job they’ve spent time on.

Furrari

• View Profile
« Reply #755 on: March 31, 2019, 01:16:30 PM »
Just a pic of the five bits that make up the engine bay surround and a closeup of the sticker for the brake master cylinder. I would have liked all the engine bay done, similar to the Maserati but this just wasn’t feasible ( given my skill level.). The rear two ( the triangular bits) are finished and can now go in.

I’ve offered up the three front bits and they fit OK.  The problem now is that they make the fact that the headlights are sealed with black Gaffa tape rather obvious.  I’ve tried painting them in the past and the paint goes flakey and falls off so that’s out.  The best solution looks like taking the headlights back out and covering the visible part of them in carbon Fibre, so it’s back to the composite shop with them.

I’m reluctant to fit the front surrounds untill the headlights are done as they will be sealed with a rubber strip, like the back ones.  If we had thought of this five years ago when DNA built the car the surrounds could have been blended in with filler and sprayed but I don’t want to risk making a mess of the paintwork,  hindsight ( five year old hindsight) is a wonderful thing.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 06:27:52 PM by Furrari »