Author Topic: Buying the right Z3.  (Read 7736 times)

beemaman

• theres only one way to build
    • View Profile
Re: Buying the right Z3.
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2019, 10:18:01 PM »
Hi buddy
Do you already have a 250 Dna Cali kit ?
I’m sure there’s lots of advice on here from previous dna 250 owners

Ian22

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2019, 04:59:02 PM »
The kit is sitting in my garage next to a spare space for a z3. Just looking for the right donor, so all tips appreciated, so as to avoid unnecessary jobs.
It is probably going to be an autumn start, so the plan is to use the summer to get the right donor and sort out any issues that come with the car, before making a start on the kit. Any help appreciated!

Sir Percival

• Per ardua ad astra - through hard work, a Vauxhall
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2019, 07:30:58 PM »
When you get your donor don't forget to take a photo of the vin plate....very difficult to see once you put the new body on as it disappears under the front wing.
If Airfix plastic model planes are made exactly to scale, why don't they fly?

Ian22

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2019, 11:21:43 AM »
Thanks for the tip.

From reading through the builds, it seems that most issues can be worked around if needed (after market remote central locking for example)

The conundrum I am trying to figure out, is what year car to go for. I read that pre '98 Z3s cars cant have a chrome windscreen surround fitted (and, looking at all your finished builds, it looks like a good option to have). So, has anyone found a work around for the pre '97 cars (does the chrome tape look good for example, or perhaps chrome paint over the existing surround?)  And secondly, does the kit fit all z3 models (pre and post facelift)?

Assuming it must be post '97 for the chrome screen surround option, but also pre '99 for the pre-facelift style, then that rather limits the options to just a '98/99 model. Any help appreciated

Sir Percival

• Per ardua ad astra - through hard work, a Vauxhall
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2019, 11:51:41 AM »
The factory fitted chrome window surround looks great, no denying it ....but there is a reason that DNA used chrome stick on strips. On the original cars the chrome strip that runs up the front of the window was actually part of the door and therefore opened with the door.

The use of two chrome strips in this area is for two reasons; to replicate this feature of the original (although obviously only with the door shut) and to give the impression that the windscreen surround in this area is thinner than it actually is ... again more like the original.

So you pays your money and takes your choice.
If Airfix plastic model planes are made exactly to scale, why don't they fly?

Ian22

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2019, 06:42:59 PM »
Great, that is really helpful and I am getting a clearer picture of what I am after.

Does anyone know if the kit fits both pre and post facelift cars?

Jez

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2019, 06:08:56 PM »
I think the criteria for the body kit is that it must be a wide body. I'm not sure if post face-lift also means wide body (I think it did) but its all about the back axle width more than anything else.
BTW I have a nice late model 2002 2.2 donor sitting on next doors drive which could be available. Currently on SORN but has a superb engine and gearbox, really sweet.
Jez