Author Topic: Buying the right Z3.  (Read 7744 times)

Graham2

• Novice
    • View Profile
Buying the right Z3.
« on: November 23, 2018, 03:14:12 PM »
I know this is not strictly the right place to be saying 'Hello' but in an effort to kill two birds with one stone this is my first post and also a request for guidance, please.   I recently bought a DNA Cali 250 kit which I am anxious to get started on but I want to be sure I get the best/easier Z3 for the job.   I know for example that it is better to have 'remote' central locking and I wondered if there are any other items that it would be desirable to have and anything to avoid.   Is the 3.0 litre car a good idea for example, is air con. a good addition or a pain in the .... when it comes to the build?
Any help would be much appreciated.      I would just add that ALL the 250 Cali build threads are amazing and if I can produce something nearly as good I will be very pleased indeed.

MADMAN

• View Profile
Re: Buying the right Z3.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 04:46:54 PM »
Hi Graham2,
I,m currently building a 250.
The main thing is you need a widebody z3 as I belive the rear axle is narrower on non widebody. I have a 2.8 with air con which has not compromised the build and I think it is a bonus.
I,m in West Yorks if passing through your welcome to call in for a chat
On 2.8 and 3.0ltr check boot floor as spot welds can pull through  also diff mounts too
MADMAN 8)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 04:50:07 PM by MADMAN »

Graham2

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 05:36:53 PM »
Hi Madman,
Thanks, that helps as I also felt that air con would be a bonus.  I only wish I lived a little closer as I would certainly pop round to compare notes but unfortunately I'm in Dorset near Shaftesbury, so a bit of a hike!    What stage are you at and have you hit any particular problems, also have you any pictures of your progress to date?

Sir Percival

• Per ardua ad astra - through hard work, a Vauxhall
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 07:37:19 PM »
Hi Graham 2

Mine has A/C as I thought it would be useful....but when I was building it the A/C gubins got in the way a bit, and, now I have driven it quite a lot I am not sure I would bother with it if I built another...it rarely gets used.

Without it mounting a radio in front of the gearstick becomes much easier as there is more room.

I would also recommend a clutch change before you start stripping the donor, however many miles it has done, just as a precaution (mine cost £325 all in)

I wish I had chosen a donor that was a similar colour to my final choice, just to get a match ish under the bonnet. Don't worry about the interior colour too much as just about all of it gets binned.

Get a straight 6....don't bother with the 1.9....then you get performance close to the original.

Hope all goes well.
If Airfix plastic model planes are made exactly to scale, why don't they fly?

jaguartvr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 08:20:03 AM »
The later 3.0 cars are painted black under the bonnet so can be painted any colour.
Go for aircon if possible.
Try and find one that has the polished alloy windscreen surround, looks much better than the DNA version.
Don't bother with 4 pots. I have a 2.2 and a 2.8 and struggle to notice any difference in performance. Would suggest a 2.8/3.0
as first choice.
Run the car for at least a month and put it through an MOT before starting to chop it up.

firefife

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 10:29:21 AM »
My donor is a 1999 2.8, Fantastic drive. The 3.0 would probably be better but usually much more expensive.
Mine has A/C & as John James has done I built a box to hold a short chassis radio, looks quite good although I think John's looks better. Saying that, mine has a lid under which I have my heated seat switches & my A/C switch (a bit tight, but it works).
Steve's thoughts on the alloy windscreen surround is sound, but cheap enough to buy from BMW (£100), that is what I have done.
I also have cruise control, which I use all the time as most of the shows we attend are motorway bound, just a small modification to the steering column surround.
My donor colour was dark green & 250 is light blue, noticeable when bonnet is up but not glaringly.
I feel that there should be a 6th gear on the Z3, just feels that it would easily take it. I ran mine for a couple of months before starting my build & also changed all suspension, brake discs,etc. & steering joint, easier without all the bodywork around. I had to put the original springs back on all around as mine was grounding over speed humps & even some country roads, all okay now though.
Just take time getting gapping, etc right. good luck mate & look forward to seeing your finished car ;)
Retired & living the dream

Graham2

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 12:26:47 PM »
Thank you for your replies, there are some very useful pointers amongst them.  I didn't know that the 3.0litre cars were black under the bonnet for example and if my research is correct the original 250's were also black under the bonnet?  Delighted with the responses from you, if anything further comes to mind please add it in.
Just out of interest I'm near Shaftesbury in Dorset is anyone in this neck of the woods building or has built a 250 Cali, I have only seen one in the flesh and that was JohnJames white car at Bristol Classic Car Show early this year.    If there was anyone building a car it would be useful to compare notes.   Thanks again for all the feedback.

jaguartvr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 03:29:18 PM »
What dealer supplied them for £100 and do you have the part number. I can only find the part numbers seperately and priced that way as well!
Thanks

Sir Percival

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2018, 03:47:03 PM »
The later 3.0 cars are painted black under the bonnet so can be painted any colour.
Go for aircon if possible.
Try and find one that has the polished alloy windscreen surround, looks much better than the DNA version.
Don't bother with 4 pots. I have a 2.2 and a 2.8 and struggle to notice any difference in performance. Would suggest a 2.8/3.0
as first choice.
Run the car for at least a month and put it through an MOT before starting to chop it up.

Agree...MOT before dismantling is essential....as is driving it about a bit and having a diagnostic dump....picking up snags before you have a lovely paint job makes perfect sense. There are a few things that, although not impossible, get very difficult to change post body-swop....like some of the relays...easy peasey job when in Z3 guise, bit of a PITA when the new body is on.

I didn't know that the 3L were black under the bonnet either! Although prices for them are on the up...rapidly becoming a classic in their own right...getting out of the sensible range of donor vehicle price for most of us.

A good donor is the key to a good finished vehicle...

As to the windscreen surround, there are two schools of thought, here is my opinion;

There is no doubt that the BMW chrome surround looks very good, however on the real 250 the front angle of the side windows was chromed and therefore opened with the door. The chrome stripping down the A pillar is supposed to replicate, as near as it can, the separation of windscreen surround chrome and door surround chrome. (and at the same time making the A pillar appear thinner than it actually is) Although of course it is just an illusion when the doors are shut. Done properly and carefully and getting the angles right, it looks really good with the chrome strips....you do tend to get a sweat on doing it though!

MADMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2018, 06:22:30 PM »
Paint the outer of inner wings as you can see through when door open you only need three or four inch on door gap I just carried on.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 06:24:15 PM by MADMAN »

MADMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2018, 06:26:20 PM »
Rear on

MADMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2018, 06:27:33 PM »
More

Sir Percival

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2018, 07:10:08 PM »
Blimey....really cracking on now.

Graham2

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2018, 07:48:20 PM »
Wow another great job, just like the other build threads, the final picture of the dash to me seems the most complicated.  As some of you have completed your builds what areas of the build presented the greatest challenge?

MADMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2018, 10:15:36 PM »
The wiring ;D but it turned out easy, I had a sparky do it ;D ;D