Author Topic: Z3 , Stalks changed to vintage  (Read 4780 times)

Commando

• View Profile
Z3 , Stalks changed to vintage
« on: October 29, 2018, 08:46:07 PM »
Hi guys ,
Need some vintage stalks for my Z3 ( 250 rep ) . Any ideas where i can source ? Thanks , in advance .

beemaman

• theres only one way to build
    • View Profile
Re: Z3 , Stalks changed to vintage
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 09:21:47 PM »
Hi commando how are you ? So you have brought a 250 Cali ? Which one you brought buddy :) :)

Commando

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 11:45:36 PM »
Hi Wayne ,
Soz for delay been away on hols . Hopefully pic attached will show you which one i chose ? Well happy with her ! How are you doing bud ?

Commando

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 11:56:22 PM »
Front and rear . Managed to change number plates to something more period since photographs , built on a 2.8 .

jaguartvr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 06:57:17 AM »
Looking good but I do think you should turn the tyres around so the lettering can't be seen. Just had my roof changed to Sir Percy's style with the smaller rear window, gives the car a really different look and away from the BMW look.
Nice thing about the Tributes is that all the panels can be unbolted. I removed my rear end when having the roof changed, made it cheaper as the frame didn't have to be removed and it only took 20 minutes.

MADMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 05:58:02 PM »
Hi Commando, hope your ok.
I,m in the process of making stainless arms with stainless ends, some with solid ends and some that can accept a 12mm stainless push button switch for cruise control and BC operation. I,ll give you a shout when finished
MADMAN 8)

Commando

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 08:20:17 PM »
Ah ,
The two Steves ,
Decals on the tyres get more compliments than anything else , but can accept they might not be your bag . What makes humans so interesting as we all have different opinions , views and ideas .
Steve ( Madman ) , great if you could keep me updated on the stalks . I am good and thanks for asking , your good self ? You will make me well jealous of your 250 they are gorgeous , just couldn't find the odd 100k to buy one so bought the tribute  !!

firefife

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 10:33:40 AM »
I just used the DNA stalks, but shortened. They were way too long. Kept the original cruise control with modified column shroud. Thr white writing looked too modern so wrapped the end & it is fairly hidden now by its position, be interesting to see your stainless plan Steve.
Retired & living the dream

firefife

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 10:45:05 AM »
Not the best of pics but gives an idea
Retired & living the dream

Graham2

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 12:52:37 PM »
To go back to the original question, has anyone sourced a supply of vintage stalks to suit the Z3 ?   Certainly those produced by Madman look very good, did DNA produce any if so were they part of an 'extras' kit ?  I'm a long way from needing them but would like to find a source or purchase some if they are available.   Any information would be much appreciated. Cheers, Graham2

MADMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 01:57:05 PM »
This is what I hope to achive with a small round chrome micro switch in the end

Graham2

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 11:39:26 AM »
Madman, they look superb, a really nice job what do you think you will use the switch in the end for ?   If you only have one stalk, presumably for indicators, what side would you put it on a rhd car?   Graham2

MADMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2019, 07:49:59 PM »
There,s three stalks on mine, on left BC for computer trip etc. Needs switch in end, on right indicators no switch, on right below indicator srtalk is cruise witha switch

Graham2

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2019, 10:38:46 AM »
I haven't got cruise so one less stalk to worry about 🤔   Have you moved the indicators to the right ?  If so as you say no micro switch is necessary.   On the left are the wipers/bc , presumably the wipers could be moved to a switch on the dash, as a late 50's early 60's car would have been.    Are you retaining the features of the bc and if so where will the information be displayed?  Whether it is practical or not I'm not sure but I rather like the idea of one stalk on the right for indicators and main beam/flasher.   Those of you who've been there and done it what decisions did you make?   Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Sir Percival

• Per ardua ad astra - through hard work, a Vauxhall
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2019, 02:33:14 PM »
I fitted mine, un-modified and as supplied by DNA....they are quite long but when the bigger steering wheel is fitted they are fine...the original had two stalks by the way.

If Airfix plastic model planes are made exactly to scale, why don't they fly?