Author Topic: Fibreglass and things  (Read 10737 times)

Furrari

• A wise man can control the stars
    • View Profile
Re: Fibreglass and things
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2018, 02:49:03 PM »

I’ve finished the fuse box cover ( apart from the sides, which I can’t be bothered with).  It’s not too bad with only a few, very slight, fish eye marks in the surface.  The tow in the middle sometimes looks very good, flashing black and gold and sometimes a naff Gray.  Just depends on how the light catches it and reflects it off to you.  The twill CF looks very good in the herring bone style, again flashing black and gold as the light catches it.  The next job will probably use a 2” CF tape instead of the tow.

The badge/sticker seems to float in the resin rather than just be stuck on, with the patten of the tow visible behind it. which was the object of the exercise.

Was it worth the time, effort and cost?  No.  It never was going to be, it was just a job to gain the experience of working with vacuum bagging CF and finding what to do or not do ready for the next job.

Pic 1).  Just a general view of the cover.  The line across it is just a reflection of something or other.
Pic 2).  Another general view.  The sticker is almost in the middle.
Pic 3).  A close up of the sticker.  The picture does not do it justice.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 03:46:42 PM by Furrari »
Not all problems can be solved with gaffer tape.  For those there is WD40.
Not even gaffer tape can fix stupid, but it can mask the sound.

If you can’t buy it or steal it you have to make it.

Furrari

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2018, 10:07:43 AM »
So on to the first of the main jobs this CF thing is all about.

Going back four years to when the Furrari was being built, the boot carpets and load area cover were redyed black.  The carpets are still OK but the slider now looks grey and tired so it’s time for a refurbish.

While waiting for all the resin on the fuse box lid to cure I’ve striped down the cover.  Off come the handle and the front corner brackets that locate at the open end of the boot and tell the electronics that the cover is in place.  Off come the mechanism that ties in with keeping the back of the slider located level.  Finally the fabric cover at the back of the cover.  This was the hardest bit.  While the other bits were screwed on this part is held by some plastic strips that are ultrasonic welded to the cover.  These had to be drilled out.  How will it go back on, no idea, I’ll worry about this bit later.  Also the badges I had fitted were removed, they won’t be going back on.  The stickers I will need were ordered.

That’s it until after Castle thingy is over this weekend.

No pics 'cos there’s not a lot to see.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 10:24:21 AM by Furrari »

Furrari

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2018, 04:37:19 PM »
I’ve removed ( rubbed down is the wrong description) the flock from the load cover slider (lcs) thing.  Well I thought it was just flock.  Seems it’s a flock covered fabric which is then (very) stuck the the lcs.  Its very reluctant to come off.  What a mess it’s made in the Furrari R&D department, the stuff is everywhere.  I’m not even going to try to get it off my overalls ( the paper ones), I’ll just throw them out to get rid of the stuff.  I’ll vacuum tomorrow.

To change the subject slightly, I’m not 100% happy with the effect of the tow on the fuse box lid, so I’ve ordered a small amount of finer plain weave cloth and I’ll do back to back tests against the tow to see which I like best.  It’s a lot of extra work but I don’t want to have to do this job again so it’s worth the effort to get the effect that I want.

Furrari

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2018, 09:22:09 AM »
In the R&D department I’ve had another go with the CF tow and had a much better result than previously, so the material that I’m using for my “ racing strip” is sorted.  No picture, 'cos it doesn’t photograph well.

In the Composits Department I’ve changed my mind ( well what a surprise).  Rather than the load floor cover I’m doing the lock cover panel first.   Mainly 'cos it’s smaller, so should be easier and if it all goes wrong it’s much easier to revert to a black finish.

I’ve rubbed it down, it does seem strange taking a purrfectly well finished panel (Wayne originally sprayed it) and attacking it with 80 grit W&D, but that’s what it needs.

This is the panel I’m working on.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 07:21:43 PM by Furrari »

Furrari

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2018, 07:29:29 PM »
Prep of the panel.

I’ve taped behind all the holes with used mixing sticks behind the larger ones, then filled them with moulding wax.  This has a dual purrpose.   Firstly it stops the resin from going through the holes and making a mess and secondly it makes opening up the holes after it’s all set.

The first pic is of the lock hole and the second is the area where the useless Merc boot light and the 12v socket fitted.  Neither of these are needed as I will be refitting the lights on the underside of the boot lid and the load floor slider.  The CF will bridge these areas as though they were never there.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 07:38:39 PM by Furrari »

Furrari

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2018, 12:15:34 PM »
The skinning of this panel did not go well so it’s over to plan B.  Sand off the bits where it’s not given me the finish I wanted and start again.

Furrari

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2018, 05:11:49 PM »
Not doing very well with this carbon fibre stuff.  I’ve used carbon twill to cover the load floor slider.  It’s gone on well, but I don’t like it.  It doesn’t show the chevron paten as well as other jobs I’ve done, so I think I’ll just rub it down and give it a layer of the pro-finish.  It’s not unusual to put 2 layers on but it’s usually done for strength rather than appearance.

Furrari

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2018, 11:53:47 AM »
Progress at last.  I’ve sanded the load cover slider back to a smooth finish and redone it with pro-finish cf.  I’ve done it in several pieces to prevent the problems I had due to the change of shape.  The weave in a V patern with the tow on top is coming to life as the resin goes on, about three coats so far.  I need to rub down now to put the stickers on but I need to put the Furrari out of the garage to do that but the door is blocked with scaffolding as we are having the roof done.

No pics at this stage but I hope to put some on here as soon as I can.  It’s been a long steep road to get this far but I can see a light at the end of the tunnel, but that could be a train coming the other way.

Nigel.  Nothing done on the calipurrs yet but the leaning curve is there.

M

Furrari

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2018, 02:37:52 PM »
My IR heaters now installed and working in the composite shop.  I had a go at firbreglassing the two part mould I made for the spare calipurrs.  Only what I can call “ not of acceptable quality.” So they’re out.  I’m going to have a go at making some new moulds from latex and plaster of Paris so I can make some PU calipurrs like the originals.
Watch this space.

Furrari

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2018, 01:13:15 PM »
Brake Calipurrs.

This post is in real time.  If it works you’ll see it, if it fails you’ll still see it.

Progress so far.
You tube doesn’t say to give the pattern any pre treatment but I’ve given the existing DNA moulding six coats of wax polish, each coat was given 10 mins to dry and then buffed off.

I used an air drying clay to support the edge of the pattern and form a barrier to stop any latex seeping around it and forming a mechanical lock.  This was left to dry overnight.
That didn’t work so well because as the clay dried it shrank, leaving a gap between the pattern and the clay, so that was out.

I tried Gaffa tape starting about 1/8” on the pattern, over the clay and onto the baseboard.  This does seem to stick and give me what will be a flange over the edge of the pattern.

Next is onto the mould release preparation.  As I said I can’t find anything relevant on YouTube but I’ll err on the side of safety.  I’ve given my tape flange and the flat part of the pattern two coats of PVA release stuff but non on the calipurr part itself.  This was because the pattern having had six coats of resin doesn’t let the PVA form a flat skin, more like you would expect if you paint on six coats of carnauba wax and this would show up on the finished mould and component.

So it’s on to covering the pattern ( the face of the finished calipurr that you will see) with latex.  This will need lots of coats with it drying in between, I’ll post again when I finish this stage.

Oh yes, I nearly forgot.  A preposterous new year to you all.

Furrari

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2019, 01:59:22 PM »
As youngsters most of us have had a go with making things (such as chess sets) from a set of purchases rubber moulds.  These are usually 2.5” to 3” high max.  Usually works, no problems.

It’s a different matter when you have to make the mould yourself.  The only work I’ve done with latex was a control system for making rubber goods for the sex trade.  An interesting job, I used the same system later the same day for controlling the fuel rods in a nuclear reactor.

Anyway back to the current time.  The bottle of latex says 8 coats of latex, up to 16 coats on a large job.  YouTube just tells you to put some latex on your pattern.  Don’t believe it.  After 8 coats of latex as it comes out of the bottle it’s still only a thin layer.  I bought some thickener and used that in the latex.  After 14 coats it looked reasonable so it got another layer with a layer of cheese cloth in it.  Then another layer of thin and then another layer of thickened to make sure there are no pin holes the fibreglass can lock on.

I’ve just bonded half a dozen blocks onto the surface that I can use as a register for the fibreglass.  One more coat of thickened latex to go on over these to make sure there are no mechanical locks.

Just a pic of the job with its first coat of mould release.  It will have two or three depending on what it looks like after the second.

I sure hopes this works.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 03:52:12 PM by Furrari »

Furrari

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2019, 07:37:49 PM »
Second coat on, won’t need a third.  So it’s fibreglass tomorrow.

Just a tip.  If you are applying a second coat of something like mould release and it’s difficult to see there you’ve already put some on a bit of pigment in the mix helps.

Furrari

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2019, 03:57:42 PM »
Fibreglass Mother mould ( the support for the latex mould) made.  Mixture of carbon fibre, woven FG, and CSM. ( why CF?  It’s just off cuts from other jobs and are too small to use on proper jobs). No pics 'cos it looks the same apart from three legs made from old paintbrushes.

Do you know why milking stools have three legs and not four?

It’s 'cos the cows got the udder.

And with that I’ll post the separation picture tomorrow.

Furrari

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2019, 03:15:03 PM »
The outer face of the latex mould and the pattern and the corresponding mother mould released from the baseboard.  The pouring gate and risers glued onto the the internal face.  Two coats of brushable mould release brushed on and two coats of sprayable mould release sprayed on to the surface and the pouring and rising gates.  Everywhere that even looked as it it might trap air got a rising gate.

Start latexing this side of the mould tomorrow.

I’m sure there is an easier way of doing this but my lack of experience is a problem.

Just a pic of the job with all the gates and release stuff on.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 03:31:51 PM by Furrari »

Furrari

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2019, 11:26:55 AM »
Finished the latexing last night so it’s the mould release layer today.  Interestingly I used latex from a different manufacturer on this face.  Only needed eight layers to build up to the same thickness as 20 odd layers on the first side.  It only needed less than 1/3 of a bottle as opposed to most of a bottle.  Can only assume there were more solids in the second.

(Added a bit later).  I must say the job looks a lot better in the last pic than it does with 8 coats of latex and a layer of mucky mould release.  Still it’s the final job that matters ( and I sure hope that looks good, I have a lot of time invested in it.)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 12:24:17 PM by Furrari »