Author Topic: LED bulbs  (Read 2846 times)

OXO

• DNA Owner
    • View Profile
LED bulbs
« on: February 28, 2018, 08:20:26 AM »
Hi
Has anyone changed their dash warning and indicator bulbs ?
If so whats required ?  Green for indicators, red orange etc....
My odomiter bulb has gone too.
Where do I find the sizes required ?
I did switch my interior light and the difference is fantastic.
Cheers
OXO

OXO

• DNA Owner
    • View Profile
Re: LED bulbs
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 09:04:14 AM »

Hiya,

Not sure if anyone saw my post ?.............. any advice welcome.
OXO

Darren

• If it don't fit cut it bash it weld it paint it
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 09:42:33 AM »
The instrument lights are incandescent, this enables the cockpit lights to be dimmed, there would be some % of dimming using leds, due to the forward operating voltage and the voltage range of the led (typically 2.5-3.3 volts) but since this is literally a light emitting diode once it is fed below the minimum voltage the diode will switch off- hence no light! LED dimming is controlled by PWM (pulse width modulation) basically a driver will turn the led on and off extremely quickly, the lower the brightness the longer the time period that the led is switched off.

These should fit the dash
  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-T4-7-T5-Neo-Wedge-Side-LED-Bulb-Dash-Dashboard-Climate-Instrument-Base-Light/192352456473?fits=Car+Make%3AToyota&hash=item2cc9198f19:g:1mIAAOSw-jFZ-aUz

I think the 'T4.7 T5' is the fitting type
hope this helps
Well, I'm into the 11th year of the project, could it be ready for Stoneleigh 2020, doubt it. The longest DNA build ever

OXO

• DNA Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 11:07:56 AM »
Hi Dangerrous,
Apologies but I don't have a clue what the first part means. I will have a look on the ebay site and give it a go. I don't want to be having the dash in and out, I prefer to get everything prepared and do it all in one hit.
Thanks
OXO

tenpin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 11:07:39 AM »
Maybe this explanation might help:
Normal bulbs work by putting a voltage across the bulbs' contacts. This causes a current to flow through the thin wire (filament) in the bulb. The filament then gets hot and glows emitting light. The higher the current, the brighter the bulb, but too much current and the bulb goes pop. Dimming the bulb is possible by reducing the current flowing through the bulb, this can be done by using a variable resistor. Typically on the end of the small knob you turn which dims the lights.
LEDs work differently, they are basically either on or off. Though if you put too much current through them they also go pop. So to dim a LED you turn it on and off very quickly. If you do it quickly enough the eye doesn't realise that the LED is flashing. The longer the time the LED is on compared to the time the LED is off, the brighter the LED appears. To give you an idea of how quickly - the duration of the individual on and off times may be in the order of hundred'ths or thousand'ths of a second. To do this you need some sort of electronic circuit - the scope of which is beyond this (hopefully) simple explanation.

Hope this helps,

- tenpin

OXO

• DNA Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 11:22:58 AM »
Hiya,
Thanks all for your help !
I am trying to get all the "in garage" stuff done whilst the weather is against us.

Ready for the good weather ! ! !

OXO

Sir Percival

• Per ardua ad astra - through hard work, a Vauxhall
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 05:06:24 PM »
Oxo, I know what you mean....couldn't even get out in the garage last week because of snow drifted in front of the doors....getting withdrawal symptoms...even my missus is praying for better weather to get me back out there....says I'm too grumpy !
If Airfix plastic model planes are made exactly to scale, why don't they fly?