Author Topic: firefife 250 build  (Read 68344 times)

firefife

• View Profile
Re: firefife 250 build
« Reply #255 on: March 11, 2018, 10:33:35 AM »
Not changing my seats until maybe winter time after I have saved up a little more money, so have to change the colour to suit rest of interior upholstery. Green won't go with the navy blue the car will be.
Bought a 'kit' from Bradleys (recommended by my upholstery guy). After cleaning & preparing the leather have put 4 light coats on at the mo. Pleased with the results so far, will put a couple more coats on tomorrow. Supposed to not do on a damp day but I don't know what options I have really.
Pic is new & old colour comparison
Retired & living the dream

firefife

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 18, 2018, 02:43:16 PM »
A bit of advice from any 250 Cal builders. Need some info on oil temp & pressure sensors & where abouts are they in the engine/ Also, is anything extra needed for the water temp (sensors, etc.?

Jez

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 18, 2018, 04:44:05 PM »
I think as you look at the engine from the passenger side the oil temp and oil pressure senders are at the front below the oil filter housing, just behind the power steering fluid reservoir (I think that's what it is - the black thing ringed in my photo). You have to unbolt the power steering reservoir first and pull it out of the way.

Then you can see the senders, one has a single cable, the other has two. I believe they are the two we need to replace.

For the water temp, DNA recommended leaving the original sender alone, and putting the new sender into the engine block. Apparently at the driver's side, under the exhaust manifold there's a redundant plug that can be unscrewed, into which you screw the new ETB sender unit. You have to access this from under the car, and if you are really quick you can remove the plug and screw in the sender without losing much coolant. I expect you'll get that awful cold water down your sleeve feeling though......

I have not done mine yet, but have checked to find the locations. I don't have a deep enough socket to remove the BMW sender units at the moment.

Update. I did my water sender yesterday. Easy as pie.

Jez
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 08:54:13 AM by Jez »
Jez

firefife

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 18, 2018, 05:15:33 PM »
Thanks Jez, will have to investigate further when weather gets a wee bit warmer as my workshop is very confined.
Where do I get the senders from & what are they called?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 05:17:49 PM by firefife »

Jez

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 18, 2018, 06:06:02 PM »
Did you get your instruments from DNA - The ETB set of tachometer, speedo and 5 smaller instruments?

The sender units were in the same box that the instruments came in. Only the matching senders from ETB will work.

Jez
Jez

firefife

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 18, 2018, 06:09:41 PM »
Yes, I got them from DNA, no sender units with them though.
Will ring Brian tomorrow
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 06:11:19 PM by firefife »

Sir Percival

• Per ardua ad astra - through hard work, a Vauxhall
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 18, 2018, 07:18:48 PM »
Reminder; the older (98) M52 (2.8) engine that I have is quite different to this...only one oil sender, power steering reservoir in a different place, water gallery block drain also in a different place (apparently between cylinders 2&3 below the exhaust manifold....haven't been able to eyeball it yet)....will have to look from underneath when I have it back up on sticks.
If Airfix plastic model planes are made exactly to scale, why don't they fly?

firefife

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 18, 2018, 10:11:09 PM »
Mine is a 2.8 '99

firefife

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 22, 2018, 06:44:56 PM »
Aligning bumpers, Hard to do the NS as no room to check so using a string line as per the OS & hope it works the same.
Have trimmed the 'inner' GRP bumpers & bonded into position, next job is cut the ends off & fit stainless ones over the top. Looks good from this side.

firefife

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 22, 2018, 06:47:16 PM »
String to align front to rear bumpers, stainless ones still to fit over the top when GRP ones are final trimmed

cabbe

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 23, 2018, 06:51:10 AM »
Looks Soo much better with the wire wheels than the aluminum. Great job!

kalifornia

• View Profile
    • Car Paint guru
« Reply #266 on: March 23, 2018, 09:32:15 AM »
I can imagine you sitting in there with a black suit and bow tie. Shaken not stirred  ;)

firefife

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 23, 2018, 10:42:30 AM »
Lol, a great image Kal ;)
Don't know if it will be ready for Stoneleigh, still a load to get sorted + upholstry  :-\
Agree Cabbe, will put the fronts wheels on when & start work on wiring & side grille + wheel arch lining  ;D

firefife

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 30, 2018, 10:23:53 AM »
Question to 250 California builders, When fitting rear lights, do you leave the rubber 'gasket' in position or remove it, when it is in position it overhangs the rear by about 1/8". Don't really like the idea of the metal back of the lights rubbing on the bodywork (although once tightened it shouldn't move).

firefife

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 30, 2018, 10:24:54 AM »
Rear starting to take shape now