Author Topic: Steve4321 - 430 build - bought the donor, ordered the kit  (Read 67062 times)

beemaman

• theres only one way to build
    • View Profile
Re: Steve4321 - 430 build - bought the donor, ordered the kit
« Reply #240 on: January 23, 2022, 09:48:01 AM »
To be fair most professional body shops won’t touch a fiberglass kitcar and if they do they don’t polyester it first it’s just primer then paint.on average a full repaint on s normal steel car through insurance is around £4.5-5k so doing a kitcar is longer and harder and costs more so really a estimate of around £7-8k seems acceptable not sure who quoted you £10k but that could be there going rate.i know some kitcar places have quoted £8k 5 years ago.there’s too many horrendous paint jobs out there on kitcars for around £3k I have one in now that’s been done and it’s far from 50% great.it’s what you want to pay for a quality job.problem is some people can’t see a bad job from a good one so I suppose it’s all on how it’s seen 😊

redhot

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 23, 2022, 05:19:27 PM »
Can you explain in more detail, the real cost is in the prep, not the spraying.

Why does a GRP car need more prep than a steel one? If the fibreglass moulding is wobbly, bodyfiller galore, I can see the work of course. Same with other GRP cars like Lotus, TVR etc, not exclusive to kitcars. A professional sprayer not wanting the work? hmm

beemaman

• theres only one way to build
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 23, 2022, 10:06:44 PM »
The difference in a lotus mould to a kitcar is lots different.I’ve worked on lotus eTc and even bmw use fiberglass boots etc on some of there cars but the finish is night and day better.dna kits were one of the best kits out there but the process of fiberglass is to use a polyester spray filler which is basically a filler sprayed on.it levels the ripple affect of the body but doesn’t sink.then it can be primed and painted.primer shrinks and if applied too thick to cover ripples it will shrink back in time.
It’s all in the prep work.anyone can paint one but if the prep isn’t good enough then it will turn out no good.
A steel panel is straight.no ripples or chance of sinking back.most body shops don’t know what polyester spray filler is.they just do standard work.but some old school body shops use poly but the price to do this procedure is increasing year by year.I’ve done loads now and the process of blocking is immense.
It’s a tough job snd the prices reflect that work :)