Author Topic: 250 Cali detail questions  (Read 5308 times)

seriph

• View Profile
250 Cali detail questions
« on: November 06, 2016, 10:24:25 AM »
Hey folks - hope this is the correct place to ask the following:

- I saw a chrome surround on what I believe was a DNA 250 windscreen and I'm wondering, is that a factory option or a wrap etc.

- in Australia Z3s cost between (GBP equivalent) 1000 and 12000. The low-end cars are potentially dogs I guess and the high-end are cherries with low mileage etc. Anyway, is there a series or model year that's better/best?

- is there a preferred engine configuration on the vehicles as far as conversion to 250 goes?

- I can only imagine manual gearbox is the way to go, but I'm wondering if a six-speed would be good option, if available in Australia.

- wire wheels are the way to go I feel, so I wonder, are there suitable used options from other vehicle makes or do I need to look for a supplier of new?

Thanks in advance. Super sleuths may glean that I'm beginning to explore possibilities. It's early days, but I'm wanting to research thoroughly. I'll be reaching out to the BMW club here to learn about the vehicle's quirks etc.

Cheers
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 10:26:05 AM by seriph »
Steve

wishing we could get cars like these legally registered downunder

Darren

• If it don't fit cut it bash it weld it paint it
    • View Profile
Re: 250 Cali detail questions
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 11:42:08 AM »
When I asked Brian about the 'chrome' on the cali, he said that it's all fibreglass covered in a chroming process, there are several processes available, some have been specifically reported not to last and become yellow over time. So be wary if you intend to get the parts chromed in Aussie.

I've got to be honest, the finish of the chrome parts completely fooled me. It's GOOD!
D
Well, I'm into the 11th year of the project, could it be ready for Stoneleigh 2020, doubt it. The longest DNA build ever

beemaman

• theres only one way to build
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 12:05:36 PM »
Yes we have brought all the chroming equipment to do the fibreglass parts and it's not just s soraygun type of paint it's the proper quality chromate and the machines to do it.
It's cross hatch tested and harden tested so it's the best you will get unless it's a metal part that's elcroplated.

Yellowing can occur on any chroming but the quality hydro chroming lasts for years :)

If you need any info let me know :)

seriph

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 07:48:22 AM »
I would potentially get bumpers and other parts made in steel if I can. A mate of mine is a very highly regarded coachbuilder (real deal, flat sheets into 300 SL panels) ... he's actually building a rivet-by-rivet accurate RSK550 spyder. It's sort of his second, after rebuilding a totally destroyed one for his boss.

But if this chroming process is as good as you think it will be, it would be fantastic to acquire a set!

But it is very early days and I'm still trying to figure out even the most basic logistics like how to get the kit over here! Much thought is needed :)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 07:49:59 AM by seriph »
Steve

Sir Percival

• Per ardua ad astra - through hard work, a Vauxhall
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 08:04:43 PM »
As far as engine size goes, I would just say that if you compare the statistics of a real Cali and the 2.8 Z3 they are very similar for acceleration, and of course the V12 Colombo engine was also similar in displacement (2953cc)

But..... you have the added advantage that when you use the brakes, it actually stops.
If Airfix plastic model planes are made exactly to scale, why don't they fly?

seriph

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 08:41:02 PM »
Thanks mate. So many options!

Trying to locate the build with the factory rear lights.

Anyone?

Bueller?
Steve

Sir Percival

• Per ardua ad astra - through hard work, a Vauxhall
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 10:10:50 PM »
There are two;

Tricky's @ dna new model 60's style ...he has just had his MGB ones swopped out for the new ones

or dock greens @2Fifty Cal - Build Photos....his has a nice photo of the new lenses

both in the build threads
If Airfix plastic model planes are made exactly to scale, why don't they fly?

johnjames

• I am Brian the orangutan have you got a banana
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 10:21:23 AM »
Hi Steve in sunny Australia not sure if the 2Fifty cal has got a different shape Window frame, but a friend of my who has the Z3 fitted chrome one over the original window surrounds. He used BMW chrome parts which he stuck on with 3M double sided tape. He got a friend of his who is a windscreen fitter as he had to pull back, the rubber to fit. part numbers covering aperture left-hand 51168398505 right-hand 51168398506, he said, the parts are about £46.62 each  and also you need 4 clips could not remember the part number or the price, and could only be fitted to 98+ cars, not sure if this helps, anyway, good luck John James
Drive it like you stole it

seriph

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2016, 10:50:38 AM »
Wow thanks james! I suspect more than one member would be interested in that little jewel of info. Would love to see that Z3. Thanks again.
Steve

tricky

• skateboarding is not a crime
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2016, 06:30:15 PM »
There's no difference to the windscreen at all
It just got a chrome surround fitted that dna provide in the chrome package

firefife

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 05:55:03 PM »
I just bought Z3 chrome windscreen trim from local beamer dealer, Cost around £100 all in. Have to trim off bottom to fit but looks the biz. Hardest bit was fitting under the front & back rubber trim
Retired & living the dream

firefife

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 06:14:30 PM »
Chrome Z3 windscreen trim in 3 pieces (still got protective film on)
Retired & living the dream