Author Topic: Flat tyre  (Read 5541 times)

johnjames

• I am Brian the orangutan have you got a banana
    • View Profile
Flat tyre
« on: August 01, 2016, 01:43:58 PM »
There I was driving up the M 20 overtaking two lorries side-by-side travelling at 70 mile an hour there was a big bang and my West Coast car dash lit up like a Christmas tree so indicated and pull over to hard shoulder got out and had a flat tire drivers side front so took out the air pump tried to pump the tyre did not inflate so lifted up my suspension and then realised even with the suspension raised up on the West Coast could not get my jack underneath the car, so called out my AA man who was there in 12 minutes. He took out his trolley jack and then realised he couldn't get it under the front of the car but lucky for me. They carry a big plastic wedge which he put by the flat tyre and I drove the car onto the it, then he lifted the car and I put my Mercedes spare wheel on and went home. I have found out you can buy the big plastic wedges from machine mart they are 700 long 200 white and 85 mm high. They are normally used to stop moisture from building up under your car tyres, I have taken some pictures first picture is the wheel from the front face second And third picture is the wheel from the back. Now that's what you call a puncher Fourth picture is this Mercedes space saver. Hope this doesn't happen to you take care,
                                              8)  8)                        John James
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 01:45:46 PM by johnjames »
Drive it like you stole it

Dock Green

• View Profile
Re: Flat tyre
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 07:41:52 PM »
I had the same issue with my toy, although the tyre didn't destroy itself like yours.  Oddly I have 4 cars the other 3 don't have spares, so the only one where a jack would be useful is the only one where it is useless!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Sir Percival

• Per ardua ad astra - through hard work, a Vauxhall
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 08:42:05 PM »
I had a similar failure on the rear of my old 370Z, total tyre failure around the entire inside of the wheel rim. Fortunately I just made it home. Not being able to get any air into it was the first indication, and everything looked fine from the exterior.

Had to call blokes out to change it at my house, as the 370 does not have a space saver, just a tin of glue, which would obviously be useless in such a case.

The tyre guys told me that the failure occurred because I must have had consistently low (very) tyre pressure, which places extreme stress on the tyre side wall, leading to total failure due to side forces acting on the weakened and damaged tyre rim.

I remember it was kin expensive and cost me an extra 50 quid for the home visit :(
If Airfix plastic model planes are made exactly to scale, why don't they fly?

The slug

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 09:54:02 PM »
What tyre pressure are you guys running all round?

Furrari

• A wise man can control the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 08:20:02 AM »
The Furrari is running 29/30 front and 32 rear.

I'm told a good rule of thumb is take the standard pressure for the car and add 1.5psi for every inch increase in rim diameter.

The problem is the higher the pressure the worse the ride but you need the higher pressure to protect the rims.
Not all problems can be solved with gaffer tape.  For those there is WD40.
Not even gaffer tape can fix stupid, but it can mask the sound.

If you can’t buy it or steal it you have to make it.

johnjames

• I am Brian the orangutan have you got a banana
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 10:08:00 AM »
Hi guys
my Hamann West Coast special, tyre pressure is 32 all round and my wheels are Hamann wheels, which are 20 inch my rear tyres are 285/30ZR/20 99YXL, fronts are 245/30ZR20 95YXL and all my tyres and reinforced sides because of the low 30 profile, could not get a bigger profile on the front because of the suspension bar that runs over the top of the tyre, and my AMG special when she gets to 50 mile an hour she starts lowering herself to the ground, when I renu the tyres on the back. I might try 35 profile I did think about lowering the suspension a bit more as its adjustable, but down south We have quite a lot of potholes because of all the lorries on our roads, anyway guys enjoy driving with the roof down take care.

8)  8)    John James
Drive it like you stole it