Author Topic: Jeremy's 2Fifty Cal story begins....  (Read 62140 times)

Jez

• View Profile
Jeremy's 2Fifty Cal story begins....
« on: December 20, 2016, 05:28:14 PM »
Hi all, as previously mentioned I am embarking on the build of a 2Fifty California, which I ordered back in September. My donor is a Y reg 2001 2.2L Z3, with a good history and 81,000 miles on the clock, and a really crappy hood that will get replaced anyway.
After finding my donor I have spent the last month getting a few bits and bobs sorted before the strip down. I started the strip down 2 weeks ago, and this weekend the Z3 was ready for the build to start.
I collected my kit from Brian yesterday, so now the real fun begins! It's the best Christmas present ever!!!

Here's a few photos of the donor. I'll follow up with some of the stripped car ready for the kit.

Jeremy
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 05:35:27 PM by Jez »
Jez

Furrari

• A wise man can control the stars
    • View Profile
Re: Jeremy's 2Fifty Cal story begins....
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 06:12:15 PM »
May I offer a word of advise.  Doesn't matter at the moment but may later.   May I suggest running a bit of u section rubber around the hall edges of the holes to save possible cuts and scratches at a later date.  You can get it with glue already in the bottom of the section.
Not all problems can be solved with gaffer tape.  For those there is WD40.
Not even gaffer tape can fix stupid, but it can mask the sound.

If you can’t buy it or steal it you have to make it.

Dock Green

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 06:37:40 PM »
Hi, before you change the hood firm up on your colour. Red works well with some colours.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

tricky

• skateboarding is not a crime
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 09:20:17 PM »
great to see another build diary
take a picture of the vin plate on the front suspension,as once the kit goes on then you can't see it
I had to show the dvla photos of it to get the cars v5 changed
they might ask for it

the next big question is what colour🤔

seriph

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 06:44:35 AM »
May I offer a word of advise.  Doesn't matter at the moment but may later.   May I suggest running a bit of u section rubber around the hall edges of the holes to save possible cuts and scratches at a later date.  You can get it with glue already in the bottom of the section.

Great advice! Keen to know a brand of material that has the glue in the channel. Thanks
Steve

wishing we could get cars like these legally registered downunder

Furrari

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 03:41:07 PM »
Seriph.
I've looked for the supplier I had my trim from but it was a long time ago but there is a good selection on eBay as rubber trim.  Some will grip the panel without glue.
Sorry mate.

Furrari

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 05:15:20 PM »
Seriph.  Try " Metal House". They do sone that, although not glued, look as though it will stick in place.

seriph

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 08:17:30 PM »
Thanks. I have access to regular channel but the glues variety would definitely be superior.
Steve

Paul79

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 08:33:53 AM »
welcome. looking forward to this build  ;D

seriph

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 11:19:39 PM »
Just a wee bit of inspiration :)

« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 11:27:45 PM by seriph »
Steve

seriph

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 11:29:30 PM »
BTW I know that last one isn't a Cali but thought to include it to see what red carpet looks like .... mine will have dark grey or black I think, as I intending driving it .... a LOT! The tailored and buttoned-on rubber mats make sense to me
Steve

Jez

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2017, 10:42:54 AM »
Thanks Tricky, Dock and and Seriph for you advice and comments.  Here's a few photos of progress so far, and a little background history.
36 years ago (1980) at the age of 20 I built my first ever kit car, which was a Burlington SS replica of a Morgan, based on a Triumph Herald. This picture was on the day my Dad and I collected the kit. We managed to load it all onto the roof of my Dad's car and transport it all the way from Leamington Spa to Leeds without losing any of it! 5 years later I built my second kit car - a Ford Capri based JBA Javelin.
After all this time, I have itchy spanners again, so I am now embarking on the third kit car build of the trilogy, and just before Xmas my Dad and I collected the new kit from Redditch. This time the kit was loaded into a hired van. I don't think we'd get away with loading up the roof rack these days!
In both pictures, we have my Dad chatting to the company owners (Hadyn Davies, and Brian), my kit loaded up in the background, and the car I will be building in the foreground. I just love the 'time travel' depicted in these photos. This was the first time my Dad had seen the 2Fifty in the flesh - and I think he approves looking at his reaction!
Jez

Jez

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2017, 10:50:01 AM »
Making good progress over the Xmas break. Woke up Xmas morning to find my wife and son had decorated my body kit, and even fitted the seats!
The Z3 has been totally stripped, cut and all DNA brackets fitted. I took the opportunity to service the electric windows which were a bit slow and clunky. The plastic guides were worn so I replaced these (£6 on E-Bay) and thoroughly cleaned and re-greased all the tracks. Windows now glide up and down as expected!
Started to trim the body this weekend. This was a little bit daunting as some of the scribe lines are hard to see, so I decided to draw where I thought they were, and then check with Brian before cutting. Hopefully if we have dry weather I'll get this completed next weekend since I have to do this in the garden.
Jez

seriph

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2017, 11:27:52 AM »
Wonderful. Hope to learn a bunch :)))))

Great work on the windows.
Aussie cars suffer a bit from that issue, due to the heat and dusty conditions. Hopefully the repair on the one I get will be as straightforward.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 11:31:56 AM by seriph »
Steve

Sir Percival

• Per ardua ad astra - through hard work, a Vauxhall
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2017, 05:13:04 PM »
I always liked the Burlington, I built a Domino Pimlico for my wife in 87, she loved it....it was always supposed to be a practice for something more exotic for me....but time passes....still back on the spanners now.

I can't say I was a fan of the Jav....but looks like you made a good job of it, despite the aesthetics being, what shall we say....an acquired taste  ;)
If Airfix plastic model planes are made exactly to scale, why don't they fly?