Author Topic: Steve4321 - 430 build - bought the donor, ordered the kit  (Read 67075 times)

Steve4321

• View Profile
Re: Steve4321 - 430 build - bought the donor, ordered the kit
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2016, 08:39:25 PM »
Thanks all.

I've joined the MR2OC. I plan to put my panels/lights/other on there later this week.

One Q; do I need to keep any parts from the lights at all - I'm not sure what I'll get from DNA?

Thanks Madman, the seats I've got are in really good condition. I'd already thought it would be a good idea to sell the ones I've got and buy some cheap cloth ones as they are going to be recovered anyway. A £100 gained here and there always helps.

On the money front, the quotes I'm getting online for a Mondeo fuel flap and housing is around £40 inc. P&P. Seems a lot, is that what I should expect?

On colour, [and this may well change over the coming months), I'm now thinking Silverstone Grey, cream leather and yellow calipers. Views?

I haven't yet ordered brakes from DNA. What are the thoughts on presentation? Which looks more convincing, the stainless discs or the pretend carbon ceramics?

Apologies for the question dump.......
If it doesn't fit first time, use harsh words...!

360MKbuild

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2016, 08:50:04 PM »
Steve

One mk1 filler housing on eBay, on gumtree mk1 being broken so worth contacting them. I paid £20 but had to remove it myself for the price. Make sure you get the release Spring as its easier to fit. I bought the mk1 cabling that operates it as well.

The stainless discs are 18", fibreglass ones are 19" and look great, but take a look at madmans brakes  :o amazing

Steve4321

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2016, 08:52:05 PM »
Thanks Mark.

Yeah, Madman told me he has a full Ferrari set fitted to one of his cars. I'm sure it looks pretty special.

Paul79

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2016, 11:14:29 PM »
Re lights. I'll tell u list to keep tomorrow

Steve4321

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2016, 07:53:41 AM »
Thanks very much Paul. That would be a great help.

Paul79

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2016, 10:29:09 PM »
Great progress Steve. Looking good. This is bringing back lots of fond memories for me!

So on to business... from memory

Keep the rear number plate lights. You’ll need to sink these into the rear of the 430 kit when you get it. You'll need to extend the wires but you might as well use the factory connectors. Leave the other wires with connectors stuck to the rear bumper bar as they are in your pictures. Everything else you’ll get in the kit. 4 rear Ferrari lights, side indicators and front headlight set up. You can sell the mr2 rear lights, front lights, and side indicators

Also keep your front indicator bulbs and housing as these will lock into the DNA headlight housing you'll get with the kit. (Unless you’re crazy like me and decide to do the DRL switchback option)

Label up all your MR2 light connectors because by the time you come to do the wiring, you’ll forget what is what

Don’t forget to prime the bare metal cuts you have made in the body work to protect from rust

The mr2 air filter pipe I have arrowed in the picture below can come off as you won’t need that - you'll get a piece of pipe in your kit that you attach to the rear quarter pods to direct air into the engine. Maybe fit and induction kit now so that is sorted. You’ll want one of those.

Also the 2 pieces of metal I have arrowed in the second picture, you can cut off. They don't serve any purpose with the 430 kit on, and I found they just got in the way of the exhaust pipes when you come to fit it. I had to cut mine off with the kit bonded one, which was very hard to get access.  Better to do now when the kit isn't on

As you’ve ordered your kit, I will take about 6 weeks to get it, but there plenty you can get one with beforehand such as:

•   Stripping out the interior and packing away safely – including all carpets and plastics, they’ll only get in your way and get ruined when the car goes for painting
•   Removing the wing mirror motors as you’ll need these for the 430 mirrors
•   You could lay a wire from the battery to the rear so you can have a charging point with an Anderson clamp that you access from behind the rear number plate
•   You could remove the alarm siren form the bottom of the frunk and relocate so you have more of a front boot.
•   Relocate the washer bottle. I attached mine to the side of the frunk, some attach to the inside of the frunk, others move it to a similar position further forward, but I think it gets in the way when fitting up the front bumper, so better out of the way. You could also lay the pipes foe washer jets and also fit to the scuttle panel now. You’ll have to modify the scuttle panel at the sides and the front grill part(see my thread) but no harm is sorting the pipe work now so one less job for later
•   Think about a tow eye solution. If you’re handy at welding to could get that all sorted now as the MR2 tow eye bolt location is too high and too far to the middle
•   The MR2 radio aerial becomes defunct, so you could lay a new one up inside the A pillar
•   Make a start on the banging in of the front arches.
•   Replace you MR2 horns with better air horns
•   Make some speaker wooden pods like I did to house better speakers
•   If you’re going do the 430 dash, relocate the hazard switch as you can’t use it in the normal location
•   Check for rust everywhere on the body and treat, prime and paint

A lot of this stuff I had to do once the car was painted and it was a lot harder as the kit is in the way

You talk about a work plan. I detailed mine in excel. Send me your email address and I’ll send you it, as it is sort of a time line of what bits is did and how long it took.
Yep definitely worth adding 50% to the expenditure strategy. But you can save tons of money getting the bits off eBay. I wanted all the nuts and bolts to be similar so I was forever ordering nuts and bolts from eBay. Much cheaper than B&Q. Just buy an absolute shed load in various sizes, M5, M6 and M8. Also order washers and penny washers as well as they come in really handy.

My donor cost £3250 and I managed to make over £1000 back on the parts I took off and sold. I see you have a twin rear exhaust silencer. They are quite sought after. I had the same and sold it far too cheap. Ask for at least £200 for it.

Care about the parts of the car that you can’t see as much as the ones you can. You’ll get much more satisfaction. Maybe paint the rear parts of the chassis (where you folded over the seams) a lovely satin black.

Check your MR2 brake discs and pads. If they are close to replacing, order some new ones and when your kit’s arrived and you take the originals off to do the DNA spacers, replace with new ones.  I wish I had done that!

I hope this all helps

Paulie  ;D

Paul79

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2016, 10:30:25 PM »
Pics

Steve4321

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2016, 11:26:15 PM »
Hi Paul.

Thanks LOADs for your time and invaluable advice.

I will take notice of all you've said. I've picked up a lot from yours and Phil's threads (amongst others -thanks guys) including the need to remove the rear wing hangers and how you've added the induction kit (amongst many other items).

Having said the above, its great to have a list of tasks as you've provided. I'm a big fan of having a plan, and am a real Excel nerd. My web address is steveukwaters@gmail.com.

Haven't touched the car today, but should get a couple of hours tomorrow to finish the steel cutting and folding. I'll continue to bore all with details of my stumbling progress :-).

Furrari

• A wise man can control the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2016, 08:50:49 AM »
Steve (4321).
I must disagree with you.  No record of a persons build is boring.  No two builds are the same.  We learn from each other's success and failures in equal measures and congratulate and take the p*****s in equal measure.  We've all been there.  I have a large pile of stuff to show my failures, and I had mine built.  Keep up the good work.
Not all problems can be solved with gaffer tape.  For those there is WD40.
Not even gaffer tape can fix stupid, but it can mask the sound.

If you can’t buy it or steal it you have to make it.

Steve4321

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2016, 11:34:02 AM »
Thanks F,

I've seen and enjoyed some of the banter in the threads. Suits my sense of humour!

I'm sure I'll find a way to make mistakes not seen in the forum before :-).

Just ordered my Mondeo fuel filler housing and flap from breakeryard.com. £25.20 including P&P and VAT. I have to say, these guys were slick. I would use them again when needed.

Steve4321

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2016, 07:35:09 PM »
Managed 3 hours on the car yesterday/this morning. Total time now 13.5 hours.

Trimmed the rear wing hangers and scored/hammered over the top seams on the inner door skins. Glad I can put the angle grinder away for the moment, found it quite stressful attacking the car with the cutting disc. Need to buy a sanding disc to soften and cut back all the ground panel edges.

Removed the washer reservoir for the moment.

Decided to tackle a job I've not been looking forward to; removing the pre-cat thingy. Removed the O2 sensors, but couldn't see any ceramic material inside the manifold. I took the manifold off as I wanted to check the gasket anyway. Looks like a previous owner has already removed the pre-cat. - yippee!

MADMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2016, 08:39:53 PM »
worth checking
MADMAN

Steve4321

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2016, 06:47:30 PM »
Help please.......

Do I need to remove and keep the bonnet and engine cover catch loops from the panels, or does the kit provide something that means I don't need these?

cheets

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2016, 06:33:27 PM »
Hi Bud no you don't need to keep them there  is all ready one in the new bonnet and the rear deck has a different fixing  :)

Mark

Steve4321

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2016, 09:23:34 PM »
Thanks very much Mark. That's great.

Steve.