Author Topic: Sir Percivals 2Fifty Cal build thread  (Read 127915 times)

MADMAN

• View Profile
Re: Sir Percivals 2Fifty Cal build thread
« Reply #390 on: August 02, 2018, 11:26:58 AM »
They are worth whatever you think they ate worth, but if you dont like the smell of it let me have the next sniff ;D
MADMAN 8)

Sir Percival

• Per ardua ad astra - through hard work, a Vauxhall
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 02, 2018, 05:46:41 PM »
I want a sniff   ;)
If Airfix plastic model planes are made exactly to scale, why don't they fly?

Commando

• View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 04, 2018, 10:29:45 PM »
Wow , thats surely not achievable ? Beautiful , absolutely but 92K !!

Jez

• View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 28, 2018, 08:17:37 AM »
If a fibreglass bodied replica can sell for $407,000 in the US then maybe it is achievable, especially since the Modena car is not that good a replica anyway?

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/multimedia/Ferris-Buellers-day-off-Car-Auction-Sold-How-Much-491817641.html?_osource=SocialNewsDeskFB_KNBC

Jez

Sir Percival

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: November 08, 2018, 12:14:04 PM »
This is for all 250 Cal owners....you probably know it already, but it is a useful reminder even if you do.

Mine had been in the garage, unused, for a couple of weeks. A nice sunny, dry day (but cold) came along and I thought I would take the car out of the garage and give it a pre-winter clean.

Jumped in, went to start it and, oh no, I had a totally flat battery. It was probably my fault as I had been messing with the interior courtesy light (I will investigate).

Now, as we know, with a flat battery you can't open the boot to get to the battery...so what to do, as I have not fitted a mechanical release, as some of you cleverly have.

Any road up, I remembered reading in the manual that you can charge the battery from the front, from under the bonnet. Sure enough there is a connection on the right hand side for the plus side of the battery, and then you just earth on the metalwork.

Managed to get some charge into it, even though it was flat as a pancake, and all was well.

The moral being, as long as your bonnet catch does not fail at the same time (highly unlikely) you can charge the battery from the front of the car and get yourself out of a sticky situation.

I have now ordered a battery conditioning charger, that I shall attach to the battery, and drop the plug out of the hole that is in the boot, that used to be for dropping the spare wheel.

Nightmare averted.

Furrari

• A wise man can control the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: November 09, 2018, 01:15:11 PM »
I don’t know the layout of the Z3, so excuse me if I’m talking a lot of round things, but I suppose this can apply to many other cars as well.

In the old days the starter solenoid was separate to the starter motor, these days the solenoid and the starter are one item.  If you have a flat battery and can get at the main feed from the battery to the starter sol you can charge the battery that way.  An alternative is to remove the main output lead from the alternator and charge through that, but that will depend on the car’s electrical system. ( starter feed is safer)
Not all problems can be solved with gaffer tape.  For those there is WD40.
Not even gaffer tape can fix stupid, but it can mask the sound.

If you can’t buy it or steal it you have to make it.

jaguartvr

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: November 10, 2018, 10:22:02 AM »
My central locking failed for no reason so there was no way to get into the car. I had to remove the rear window and even then the car could not be opened from the inside until the key was in the ignition.
I managed to get the window back in but it had weakened the stitching. I have it booked in for a new roof next week.
Expensive mistake.

I take it that Sir Percy's car was unlocked, if it was locked you wouldn't have been able to get into the car to open the bonnet. As your rear window does not have a zip it would have been a VERY expensive mistake. Probably cheaper to smash the driver's window.
Someone on the madabout forum has worked a way to wire a hidden switch to the driver's window allowing you to lower the window in case the cars locking fails.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 10:27:05 AM by jaguartvr »

jaguartvr

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: November 10, 2018, 01:56:19 PM »
My central locking failed for no reason so there was no way to get into the car. I had to remove the rear window and even then the car could not be opened from the inside until the key was in the ignition.
I managed to get the window back in but it had weakened the stitching. I have it booked in for a new roof next week.
Expensive mistake.

I take it that Sir Percy's car was unlocked, if it was locked you wouldn't have been able to get into the car to open the bonnet. As your rear window does not have a zip it would have been a VERY expensive mistake. Probably cheaper to smash the driver's window.
Someone on the madabout forum has worked a way to wire a hidden switch to the driver's window allowing you to lower the window in case the cars locking fails.
Link
http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?p=97594#post97594

Sir Percival

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: November 12, 2018, 02:24:15 PM »
Expensive mistake.

Yes, you are right, it was unlocked, so I could open the bonnet....I never lock it when it is in my garage as I have my normal car parked outside the garage, which blocks it.

However even if it had been locked all would not be lost as, if you remember from my build thread, I did run an emergency set of wires from the boot lock to underneath the car, so I could still have popped the boot using them by just touching them on a 12 volt battery. I didn't do that this time because I didn't need to (and they are all bagged up neatly....so dire emergency only)

Then I could get to the battery and charge it....but I do agree that the central locking is pretty pants on the Z3.

Sir Percival

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: November 12, 2018, 02:28:00 PM »
I don’t know the layout of the Z3, so excuse me if I’m talking a lot of round things, but I suppose this can apply to many other cars as well.

In the old days the starter solenoid was separate to the starter motor, these days the solenoid and the starter are one item.  If you have a flat battery and can get at the main feed from the battery to the starter sol you can charge the battery that way.  An alternative is to remove the main output lead from the alternator and charge through that, but that will depend on the car’s electrical system. ( starter feed is safer)

Yep, I agree with all this, but on the Z3 this design is specifically to allow both battery charging from under the bonnet, and jump starting...so quite handy....with no need to grub about on the floor with the spanners....nice and simple.

Sir Percival

• View Profile
« Reply #400 on: November 12, 2018, 02:29:11 PM »
Oh and without having to empty the boot to get to the battery of course  ;)

Sir Percival

• View Profile
« Reply #401 on: February 02, 2019, 04:56:55 PM »
My bonnet has always had a minor problem, I think it may have been a little bit warped when it was pulled out of the mould, as it never sat down correctly on the bump stops...about 4mm out.

It was driving me mad because whatever adjustments I made the back end, near the screen, would "flutter" when driving along....really annoying.

So I finally had enough and decided to fit quick snap type bonnet pins either side. It was a bit sweat inducing, positioning them and drilling the bonnet, but managed to fit them in the same holes that were used by the bump stops.

It has worked out a treat, no flutter and much better bonnet fit, with just two small buttons to press before releasing the bonnet main catch (or after...it makes no difference) Super.

Sir Percival

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: December 29, 2019, 02:13:27 PM »
I have finally got rid of ALL the hydro-chrome on my 250.

All the external shiny bits are now either chrome metal or mirror stainless (with the minor exception of the stick on chrome flashings) so I no longer have to worry about them going tatty.

I also now have a fully functioning boot handle and lock, it was not easy to get right and required some fabrication, but now works a treat and looks great.

;D

By the way, quick tip that I expect many of you are aware of already, when removing stuck on (with 3M) chrome strips....dental floss is brilliant. Just slide it behind the edge of the strip to be removed and then use a sawing action. It cuts through the sponge backing in no time just leaving the sponge remnants and the glue to be cleaned off using a suitable solvent....doddle!

jaguartvr

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: December 29, 2019, 03:09:16 PM »
What size and where did you get the rubber trim for the lower screen surround?

Sir Percival

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: December 30, 2019, 02:31:53 PM »
Can't help with the rubber on the front of the scuttle trim, as I used the original given to me by DNA. (which is U profile but the bottom is flat and the top has a curve)

For the rear of the trim (that rests on, or near, the windscreen) I used some soft 5mm (or 7mm) U channel black rubber, that I got off the web...ebay I think!