Author Topic: Sir Percivals 2Fifty Cal build thread  (Read 127927 times)

Sir Percival

• Per ardua ad astra - through hard work, a Vauxhall
    • View Profile
Re: Sir Percivals 2Fifty Cal build thread
« Reply #120 on: October 24, 2016, 02:51:53 PM »
You are right....30 years in the mob....did a big tour of Aus in 95 or 96 (forget which) when I was with the Red Arrows....started in Darwin and worked our way down to Sydney...flew in formation over the Opera House on Australia day.

Good times....nothing but admiration for RAAF....good mates, good fun...hopefully the old ties will get even stronger after Brexit   ;)
If Airfix plastic model planes are made exactly to scale, why don't they fly?

beemaman

• theres only one way to build
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 27, 2016, 01:31:11 PM »
hi

been blocking all week till my arms are about to fall off :) half car is done heres a few pics of how its looking after a good block down.theres 3 coats of thick polyester to block off and its so hard so takes a lot of effort and time.
2 boxes of 120 strips/2 boxes of 180 strips/2 boxes of 320 strips plus lots of elbow grease lol

beemaman

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 27, 2016, 01:32:44 PM »
heres a few more

beemaman

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 27, 2016, 01:44:18 PM »
really looking good now you can see the high spots coming through.after this its 2 coats of 2k primer surfacer and block again

Sir Percival

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 23, 2016, 08:43:12 PM »
So it's been 11 weeks now without the car, so as I have said before I have been getting on with the bits I can do with it being away.

I have been working again on the grill. Each individual rail has had a thorough polishing with 240, then 400, then 800, then 1200 and then autosol metal polish, before assembly, all looking nice.

Fitted the brackets to the second rail up from the bottom. Fixed them with machine screws and nuts, then put Gorilla glue on the nuts and along the exposed edge of the bracket. Anyone who has not used this glue should know that it is similar to the expanding foam you can buy for filling large holes, in that it expands. Great for getting into small crevices (not so good for getting a tight fit when joining two pieces together....you must clamp it or the expanding action pushes the two pieces apart).

It did as promised and found its way between the brackets and the rails, giving extra strength. I also dropped a couple of spots onto the nuts to ensure they don't come undone. All nicely, nicely.

Then came how to ensure the whole grill structure remained rigid. DNA recommend pinning it from the back with small screws....after I broke a 1,5mm drill in the tiny hole I was trying to drill, I gave up and decided to come up with a different method.

I bought a couple of small right angle brackets from a DIY shop (35p each) and used these at the ends where there is a right angle join between the rails (see pictures). I fixed them by drilling through and attaching with TEK screws. The drill end of the screws came right through so I just ground them off with a Dremel.

Then how to make the rest rigid. DNA say you can grind out a groove on the back where the rails interlock and then epoxy in the groove. I gave it a go but with a Dremel grinder it was going to take a month of Sundays....so instead I drilled shallow pilot holes at each intersection then used a big drill to put an indentation at each junction point, making sure the cut exposed metal on both the upright and horizontal rails. I did a couple of extra "craters" either side of the brackets, again for additional strength.

I may do a few more yet....it is surprisingly quick and easy. I will then fill each crater with JB weld, holding horizontal and vertical rails together, then smooth it off and spray with satin black.....this is all at the very back of the grill, including the brackets, so will not be visible when fitted to the car.

beemaman

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 23, 2016, 09:58:52 PM »
Looking great mate :) not long now starting to paint some of the bits this week inside door and bonnet etc.

Ile post some pics up of progress.car all blocked down now ready for primer.bottom of doors ive cut off the lower lip and rewelded skins together and re screwed so it's flush.inside sills all blended now and shaped up.will be all in primer for next week and start paintwork on the shell :) :)

seriph

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 23, 2016, 11:36:33 PM »
Stunning work. I'm feeling extremely inspired.
Steve

wishing we could get cars like these legally registered downunder

Sir Percival

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 25, 2016, 08:51:21 PM »
Finished the headlight surround and lense today....came out pretty good I think;

Sir Percival

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 25, 2016, 08:52:14 PM »
Surrounds now ready for chroming....they go off on Monday.

seriph

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 26, 2016, 08:30:23 AM »
Bloody hell they're nice. Chroming that just amazes me. Is it sanded acrylic?
Steve

wishing we could get cars like these legally registered downunder

beemaman

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 26, 2016, 01:42:24 PM »
Great work Percy
You can see how the cars looking Monday it's ready for primer and so is the doors and by mid week they will be starting to get in paint :) :)

All parts I've blended in so no z3 to fibreglass now showing. Think you will be very happy at the finish of them all :)

Sir Percival

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 26, 2016, 07:21:36 PM »
Great stuff, be over on Monday and I will bring the headlight surrounds for chroming.

Had my first disaster today. Drilling the last hole in one of the lenses I must have twisted  the drill....snap....big crack....ruined....have to get another from DNA  :'(

Decided on another method for the other one....small pilot hole opened up with a conical grinding wheel fitted to the dremel....dead easy and much less likely to cause a crack than putting the larger drill through it....worked well....wish I has thought of that before...but hey/ho...live and learn.

At least it wasn't the surrounds.

Seriph - yep acrylic, cut to shape and then rubbed over with 1200 grit.

Furrari

• A wise man can control the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 27, 2016, 11:10:08 AM »
Sir P.

A little trick I've used on thin plastic/FG is to use the drill running backwards.(also works well for drilling rubber).  It stops the drill from digging in and ripping the plastic.  If you can using a wump behind the component to back it up helps if you can get to the back of that bit.  Using an old/blunt drill also helps if your drilling FG.
Another trick I've heard but I've never used is to use an undersized drill with a bit of wet or dry wrapped round it.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 12:12:13 PM by Furrari »
Not all problems can be solved with gaffer tape.  For those there is WD40.
Not even gaffer tape can fix stupid, but it can mask the sound.

If you can’t buy it or steal it you have to make it.

anudimension

• View Profile
    • A Nu Dimension
« Reply #133 on: November 27, 2016, 12:27:52 PM »
use a blunt drill bit

Sir Percival

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 27, 2016, 06:51:24 PM »
That's interesting gents.....as I did the opposite....I bought a flashy box of super-sharp brand new drill bits to use on the build.....so that was my downfall ::)