Author Topic: New 360 build  (Read 163124 times)

360MKbuild

• View Profile
Re: New 360 build
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2015, 12:29:44 AM »
Hi guys

Well I have totally stripped the car right down to the shell. Glad I did as the floor pan was twisted and there had been an electrical fire in the passenger footwell. I have sold a lot of parts, the bodykit sold as well. The leather seats went really quick. So I'm only holding onto the parts that I need for the new build. Yes even after this gutting experience I am still going ahead with a new build. But heres where I need some advice!!!
1: do I buy a car with say 80k 2002/2003 WITHOUT any damage and swap the engine for a 190bhp or get a 2005/2006 mint straight car and do the same. I just thought it would be better with a newer car, I want it to be as new under the bonnet, boot etc etc.

Your advice is important as I don't want to get screwed over again. I'm down 3k but have now put that behind me. But at least now I know my wat round an mr2, dropping the engine was so easy. Also seeing how the roof is attached. And it even answered my questions regarding the dash conversion. If I get enough work in this month I might be able to stretch to the V6 engine swap. So older car or newer car?

beemaman

• theres only one way to build
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2015, 08:55:50 AM »
Hi buddy

In my opinion buddy I'd buy a good late model car and just sell what you don't need and in your mind and in reality you will have a great base car.then you can clean and paint everything you need to knowing its straight and not twisted.

We've all been there at some point buddy put it behind you and remember what you will have when it's done.a great looking straight car.

Mr2s are not as dear as they used to be so some good bargains out there.

360MKbuild

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2015, 10:43:19 AM »
Thanks for that :)

I have seen a car which is quite local, 05 plate, black, 40k with service history, looks immaculate. £4550. Thought about a black car so the engine bay etc is the colour I want. I'm going to get the kit sprayed red as think the best colour for a 360. Now I know how much needs to be removed and sell it's not as daunting getting your head around stripping a fully perfect car. I have genuine ferrari 360 wheels, rear lights, suspension kit (adjustable coil overs) and wheel spacers from the other car so I would think after 3 weeks I would be ready for the new kit to arrive. Still have a fair bit of the old car to sell which I hope will shift soon!. And now stripped the chassis is being collected by the scrapyard later this week.

Darren

• If it don't fit cut it bash it weld it paint it
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2015, 12:44:48 PM »
Hopefully you may have noticed that the older Mr2's suffer from a lot of surface rust on the suspension parts etc... Lee has had all of those parts recoated. When I was looking for a donor, there seemed to be a definite point in the mr2 mk3 generation that Toyota changed their protection coatings of these parts and the facelift models still look good under the skin.
 I have an early model but it was exactly what I wanted- untouched and original with no damage and only 60,000miles, but the panels had trolley damage. It was also very cheap because of the knackered engine.
 Don't buy a 'cat' rated car, future buyers will always wonder what the kit is hiding
 Buy the best you can afford, age is not the most important, low mileage will reap benefits. Also look at the parts you'll be keeping, namely the underside of the body.
The Ferrari's are black under the trunk and bonnet, so a black donor is a step forward, these thing help with the build as it progresses.
 If you are looking at an engine conversion have a look out for the ceramic damaged engines, these are cheap and save money on something you'll end up throwing away.
D
Well, I'm into the 11th year of the project, could it be ready for Stoneleigh 2020, doubt it. The longest DNA build ever

360MKbuild

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2015, 12:59:25 PM »
Thanks for the info, do appreciate it. Yes think this is the car I'm going for. And as a low mileage car I have the option of either keeping this engine or selling it on for good money if I go for the upgraded engine. Still in two minds about engine. Either 190bhp or the V6. All down to cost. Also would like to find someone or a company local to me who can do the engine upgrade. I'm fine prepping the bay ready but don't have enough knowledge for the fitting. Also is upgrading the discs to grooved drilled enough to make a difference or are there other options?.

Darren

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2015, 02:38:19 PM »
Brakes are designed for braking weight, this has nothing to do with the engine, the dna kit hides the original discs, so red stuff pads will increase the braking power at the expense of the discs and pads, don't bother with cross drilled or slotted.
 Engine mods are carried out by woodsport, they're busy for one reason, they almost carry out OEM conversions. I'm sure the converted will chop in and explain the pros and cons. I've done my own at some expense but it's taken hundred of hrs to do.

Give the guys on two brutal a chance to chip in about the engine choices, some have good reliable upgrades to the vvti easily surpassing the 200bhp mark
D  
Well, I'm into the 11th year of the project, could it be ready for Stoneleigh 2020, doubt it. The longest DNA build ever

V8 KLR

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2015, 03:41:01 PM »
Hi I have a V6 in mine which was carried out by Paul at Woodsport and I don't think there is anyone more qualified. He always recommends buying a donor vehicle so that you can hear the engine running. Mine was from a Lexus RX300 so remember to build in the cost of the donor and the actual work by Woodsport. The V6 gives amazing power and great torque so you don't have to push it hard to really get a move on. Its really economical too I get high 30`s to the gallon. With the V6 I did put big brakes on the front 335mm with 4 pot aluminium calliper. You know what they say if you have a lot of "go" you need a lot of "Whoa"....and they certainly stop mine on its nose!!. I think you have the coil overs so that's good. I think upgrading the existing engine will be a cheaper option.
Has to be V6 power and SERIOUS NOISE !!!!!!

360MKbuild

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2015, 10:52:48 PM »
Hi guys

Well I have bought a straight car this time!!!!. Untouched 05 plate 40k on clock service history and NO damage past or present. Immaculate in and out. Decided after reading the replies which I do appreciate that I will stick with (for now anyway) the  existing engine and just do upgrades as this car was not cheap. So I hope to start to strip it down next weekend. I have looked on you tube of DNA prepping a car ready for the kit but my question is although they show you where to cut etc is there a manual/written instructions of how to do this?. I want to have the next three weeks to prep the car before ordering the 360 kit from Brian. Just want to get it right first time.

Managed to sell the old kit and other bits ie leather seats went so fast. More bits to sell but at least it's going. The old chassis gets picked up on Thursday to be scrapped and then finally that horrible experience is literally dead!

I dropped the engine last week with the help of a mechanic and he said it's a good one and looks like original 32k Mileage. I'm selling this so if anyone is interested let me know. Gearbox, starter, alternator all included.

Mark

Paul79

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2015, 11:54:30 PM »
Glad to see your back on track Mark. I swear I had a document that showed something for a 360 build. I'll have a look tomorrow. Madman may be able to help as he's done one before. Check out the south east 3sixty thread also (tenpins) for help aswell. (Alhough I'm sure u already have.) 😃
Paul

Paul79

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2015, 09:18:02 AM »
Mark, I will email you a pdf file that i found a while ago (I can't remember where) but it talks about a few things on how to prepare the bodywork. Thing is I don't know if it is for the 360 or 430. You'll have to ask DNA about that, but I think all the other bits that I removed on my 430 would apply to the 360 as well. So basically you take all panels off except for the doors.  Have a look at the you tube videos that DNA made as well for the 430 and I think these would also be relevant for the 360.  These are posted on the forum. But I would advise, before you cut any metal - i.e. do things that are not reversible,  you speak to DNA. Unbolting bumpers, wings etc.. is easy to reverse. Cutting doors isn't LOL.  MADMAN and Tenpin can advise on the doors as they have built 360s as well.

Darren

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2015, 10:07:42 AM »
I can understand your desire to prepare the car for the kit, but if you do the work in the videos, then alot of the prep work is done. DNA will show you any extra work that needs to be carried out before fitting the kit i.e. washer fluid neck, petrol filler neck, wiring, moving bonnet shut catch, wiper mount spacings etc.....
D

360MKbuild

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2015, 10:24:58 AM »
that's what I wanted to find out and exact measurements for the doors, top of pillars and front and rear bars. I didn't know about the washer bottle or the wipers. As I have an old MR2 dash here and an original 360 one I was looking to mock one up. Has anyone made a replica dash? or is there a mould out there already to purchase?. Also the image attached is the adjustable coil overs I have from the previous kit. Do you know if these are ok for the build?. They are TEIN super street

MADMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2015, 10:49:05 AM »
Mark, I will email you a pdf file that i found a while ago (I can't remember where) but it talks about a few things on how to prepare the bodywork. Thing is I don't know if it is for the 360 or 430. You'll have to ask DNA about that, but I think all the other bits that I removed on my 430 would apply to the 360 as well. So basically you take all panels off except for the doors.  Have a look at the you tube videos that DNA made as well for the 430 and I think these would also be relevant for the 360.  These are posted on the forum. But I would advise, before you cut any metal - i.e. do things that are not reversible,  you speak to DNA. Unbolting bumpers, wings etc.. is easy to reverse. Cutting doors isn't LOL.  MADMAN and Tenpin can advise on the doors as they have built 360s as well.
            I have some pics I took at DNA HQ when I built mine, they were vague but may help I will sort them out Monday.
From memory I,m sure the cutting of door tops is the same as the 430 the main difference is you have to space the door out to match front wing and rear quater aprox 10mm
MADMAN

V8 KLR

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2015, 11:06:24 AM »
Hi if the coil overs came from an MR2 Spyder then they will fit your new Spyder donor car.  ;D
Has to be V6 power and SERIOUS NOISE !!!!!!

Darren

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2015, 02:54:35 PM »
Here you go
Old vid of door skin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud3dd3yHx0k