Author Topic: V8 DNA 4thirty  (Read 176894 times)

Darren

• If it don't fit cut it bash it weld it paint it
    • View Profile
Re: V8 DNA 4thirty
« Reply #420 on: October 31, 2016, 06:38:16 PM »
just to put it in prospective

£19.99 per side for these:

£149.90 per set for these:

No brainer after counting the cash
D

Well, I'm into the 11th year of the project, could it be ready for Stoneleigh 2020, doubt it. The longest DNA build ever

Darren

• View Profile
« Reply #421 on: November 20, 2016, 04:19:01 PM »
Another task ticked off the list- Aircon

Here's a vid of the work I had to do to get cold air out of the blower

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRzkB7k2BhY&feature=youtu.be

Next task is bonding the kit and looking at the roof
D

Well, I'm into the 11th year of the project, could it be ready for Stoneleigh 2020, doubt it. The longest DNA build ever

johnjames

• I am Brian the orangutan have you got a banana
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: November 21, 2016, 12:55:39 PM »
Another great video Darren car is looking really good, don't really understand all the technical stuff, but I can now see why air con is quite expensive to having in a car.
What an eye opener can't wait to see you at Stoneleigh.
Looking forward to your next video, and engine sounds amazing take care JJ
Drive it like you stole it

Darren

• View Profile
« Reply #423 on: May 01, 2017, 03:21:07 PM »
Has it been that long since I posted to get a warning  :o

Well now I'm on the body, the rear clip is done the doors are ready to be bonded, the front clip is also ready, but I'm going to look at revising the door hinges.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7cU3l1TsWA
cheers
Darren

Darren

• View Profile
« Reply #424 on: May 13, 2017, 04:04:30 PM »
Another update on the car, I've now completed the basic fabrication on the passengers door and the final opening is now acceptable..

watch the vid and have a look at the cutting frenzy to get the result I wanted  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-3ADKsm9jU&feature=youtu.be

cheers
Darren

seriph

• View Profile
« Reply #425 on: May 13, 2017, 10:46:13 PM »
Spectacular work mate. She's a keeper
Steve

wishing we could get cars like these legally registered downunder

Darren

• View Profile
« Reply #426 on: May 14, 2017, 10:55:05 AM »
I'm so far behind on building a 430 that there's loads of documented info on personal builds. Fabrication is my thing, putting the kit on the body isn't, I know that there's a few more obstacles to overcome along the way, but I hope I can sort them out my way if possible, I always refer to build diaries to see if there's an easier way to do stuff.
D

Every now and then I start up the car, I get a lovely tingle inside when I hear the exhaust note, believe me this is what really keeps me going  ;D

D
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 05:02:27 PM by Dangerrous »

seriph

• View Profile
« Reply #427 on: May 14, 2017, 11:42:22 AM »
Oh I get it :)))) there are just some things that are unbeatable. Knowing you have that engine is certainly up there! Knowing too, that you're building a second-to-none vehicle, that will be a head turner and a jaw dropper is pretty sweet too :)
Steve

wishing we could get cars like these legally registered downunder

Steve4321

• View Profile
« Reply #428 on: May 14, 2017, 06:43:52 PM »
Fantastic and ground breaking work.
If it doesn't fit first time, use harsh words...!

Darren

• View Profile
« Reply #429 on: May 14, 2017, 09:07:12 PM »
Both doors now done, next week I'll have a look at bonding the doors and front end on. I'm going to tig the cuts in the doors, the mig is just to fierce for the thin metal.
D

Darren

• View Profile
« Reply #430 on: June 25, 2017, 05:34:59 PM »
Well this is a test of my patience!
I've been messing around with the bonnet, trying to get it to fit without any major adjustments.
First I had to get the mount holes for the hinges correct, Surprisingly DNA don't give any measurements but do for the back, anyway the third attempt worked a charm, I used chemfix to block the drilled holes, this is stronger than FG and wood, plus it expands ever so slightly as it goes off to form a very good repair.
Next I put the Renault trafic bump stops on the scuttle panel (these are on pretty much any Renault commercial vehicle, even on one side of the new 2014 model), not happy with the positon I moved them out for greater adjustment. Then I put the hinge point bump stops in, again I did a little work, this time on the bonnet, again for greater amount of adjustment.

The wing supports were addressed, I slotted the holes so I could adjust them when ever...
With all the work done and several hours adjusting here there...... I couldn't get it perfect.
 I went back to square one, I let the front clip sit naturally and lifted the front to where it seemed to feel more balanced for the weight, the side supports were completely loosened off. I then let the bonnet just lay of the bump stops, it was very close, infact the only real problem seemed to be the front nose wanting to sit up slightly, I could use the hinges to pull it down.

Next job was the latch, using the given measurements I drilled the holes in the scuttle panel only to find I had no adjustment, so I rewelded the bonnet catch bracket in a lower position  I could then move the catch up and down till perfect, I also fitted a 3x50mm plate behind the scuttle panel for extra rigidity, I'll replace the spacer washers with some solid  machined ali spacers for a better look.

The bump stop holes in the bonnet will be reinforced with 42mm core plugs.

The countersunk stainless bolts will remain on show, I don't want to chance any cracking around this area

This is the bonnet in position, My wing supports aren't bolted in position so there's a 3mm drop in this area

Finally a shaky ol' vid showing what I've done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg0SKItf9qg&feature=youtu.be

D

Steve4321

• View Profile
« Reply #431 on: June 26, 2017, 04:24:34 AM »
Well done D.

It took me a very long and frustrating day to get my bonnet/front clip arrangement setup. The main problem I had was getting enough 'tension' when the bonnet was stowed so the scuttle bump stops were under enough pressure to stop bonnet bounce when hitting bumps while keeping all aligned. We've got cobbles I could try this on  ;D

I had to move my scuttle stops too, and I had a period where I thought I'd never get the bonnet/clip aligned, then suddenly - then finally all dropped into place.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 04:52:53 AM by Steve4321 »

Steve4321

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: June 26, 2017, 04:28:52 AM »
I'm sure you've already got this - remember to dowel-key the hinges/bonnet/wings once you're happy with the alignment. It's helped my bodyshop maintain a datum.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 04:54:04 AM by Steve4321 »

Darren

• View Profile
« Reply #433 on: June 26, 2017, 07:01:47 PM »
Once I've repaired the bonnet I'll dowel pin everywhere
D

ferrari360jd

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: June 29, 2017, 08:25:02 AM »
Hey D , it's been quite a while since iv been on the forum, it's great to see you cracking on mate she's looking fab,  not to far away from the finish line now , jd