Author Topic: West Coast Pics  (Read 22222 times)

tusylla

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: West Coast Pics
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2014, 04:58:01 PM »
Tenpin,
Does the trunk still function with the roof up, I assume it keeps the same setup as the SL and you can store some luggage back there just incase I wanna take it on a weekend getaway with the Boss.

Furrari

• A wise man can control the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2014, 06:40:40 PM »
Tusylla.  Yes the roof and boot lid function just like the SL.  In fact both are SL, but the West Coast has an over panel over the boot.

SL Revelation.  When the roof is down there is only a narrowish slot to put the lugage into the boot.  There is a button on the rear of the boot surround that if you press it tilts the roof about 9" so you can get your suitcases into the boot.  The West Coast retains this function.

Join the West Coast Crew.
Not all problems can be solved with gaffer tape.  For those there is WD40.
Not even gaffer tape can fix stupid, but it can mask the sound.

If you can’t buy it or steal it you have to make it.

tusylla

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2014, 11:12:25 PM »
Furrari,
Thanks for the info I hope to be joining the club sometime in the near future, I'm just working out the details of shipping a SL to the UK and having it come back with a different body kit, last thing I want is to get it  all the way back and have issues from US customs in regards to it not looking like a SL any longer.

Furrari

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2014, 11:47:19 PM »
Tusylla.  Continental Europe like yourselves drive on the wrong side of the road.  It might be the simplest way to get DNA to source you an SL from Europe, change the registration in this country to a DNA and then import that to the colonies when it's finished.  Just an idea.

Mick.

Rippin6Gears

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2014, 05:47:59 AM »
Not that easy to get any assembled car or kitcar into the US here. Best thing you can do is have a parts car shipped without driveline and just the body then ship the used parts drivetrain,interior,ect at a later date and time to reassemble. Any car and or kitcar will have to meet DOT regulations based on the frame build date which you will spend stupid money trying 5-10k US dollars. If it was easier I would already have bought a finished dna from a member in the past.

tusylla

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2014, 02:30:47 PM »
Rippin6Gears
I am talking about buying a donor here and shipping it to DNA then having them ship it back to me with kit fitted, this should avoid any DOT issues as the car will still be registered as a US mB SL just with a different body.  Have you already looked into this as well?

Rippin6Gears

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2014, 10:59:05 PM »
Still same issue... has to be fully inspected and meet all dot specs once it comes back from what I was told. Once any vehicle leaves the country it will need to be fully inspected once is comes back. Again, nothing seems to be that easy.

Furrari

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2014, 10:05:16 AM »
Rippin and Tusylla.  One possibility you may consider together is to get together, (don't know how far apart you are), get two cars ready, two kits imported and pay DNA to fly in and build the two cars to the paint stage.  I'm sure that there are people local to you for paint, trim and reassembly.  This would reduce the overheads of flights etc.

Brian and Tony did this for a man in India ( see project India on the forum.)

Give DNA a call ( remember the time difference)

Mick

tusylla

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2014, 02:13:33 PM »
Furrari, I think you may be on to something buddy..RippIn6Gears, I noticed you are in Seattle and I just transferred to Everett  so maybe it is something to consider. I will PM you.

darnoc

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2014, 12:32:20 PM »
Looking really awesome. The first rep that also has a good engine and hp's.....
Is there any change in the construction of the car? Or is it just a body kit?
Do the lights have an E mark?
Question from Belgium :)

Furrari

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2014, 01:35:07 PM »
Darnoc.
No change to the construction of the car.  Unbolt the bonnet, front wings, front bumper and rear bumper.
The rear wings are cut away a little to clear the wider set up at the rear.  New front wings, bonnet and bumper.  Over panels for the doors, rear wings, bumper and boot lid.
The rear wings and bumper are one unit.  The front wings and bumper are one unit.  Roof is as Merc built it.  So no IVA required.
I don't think the headlights are E marked, but they don't have to be.  When your lot in Brussels were writing the rules they said the lights must have the E mark or be of equivalent output.  These are equivalent.

darnoc

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2014, 02:23:23 PM »
Furrari:

Thanks for your reply.
So the car is still registered as a Mercedes Benz. Good.
The light may be a problem in Belgium i think. As far as i know they must have E markings....unless they are Original.
Some years ago i was a fanatic 'tuner' and liked Hamann and other kits for my Bmw....

Very curious ho you gonna do the interior, the original one is very awesome and small details makes it WOW!!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 02:27:15 PM by darnoc »

Furrari

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2014, 02:54:16 PM »
Darnoc.
With regards to the E mark I would check the regs.  The IVA rules are set by Brussels not individual countries as our old SVA rules were so the same E mark rule should apply.
As for the registration, we have recently been able to reregister cars that have been substantially changed in appearance but still don't need an IVA.  I don't know what rules cover your part of the world.

Research is needed.  Best of luck mate.

M

darnoc

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2014, 03:31:45 PM »
Furrari:
Ok i will do some research.
But tell me where did you get these lights? Just as info because i wonder which countries/factories make those....
But indeed, cars that have had a substantial change need to go to IVA ( SBAT in Belgium) to declare the changes and note it in the car's papers.....
Some years ago the light, if changed had to have an E mark. But this is 6 years ago. So i will do the research  :P

« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 03:34:07 PM by darnoc »

Furrari

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2014, 03:42:01 PM »
Darnoc.  The lights are made for DNA.  I don't know where.