Author Topic: Which is the best 355 kit?  (Read 5146 times)

Spacecowboy

• View Profile
Which is the best 355 kit?
« on: September 29, 2013, 12:28:00 AM »
Hi

Been lurking on this site for a while and whilst I'm keen to build a DN8, funds at this point are not available.  So having restored Beetles and Minis in the past I feel il cut my teeth on a cheaper build first as I've never done a kit car before. So the question is simple - which is the best 355 kit out there in terms of correctness and ease? I've seen Dave Jones kit and Extremes online but does anyone have experience of either or both?

crossy

• Don't you just love traffic cops!
    • View Profile
    • Collagen Light Therapy and Sunbed Hire & Sales
Re: Which is the best 355 kit?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 10:00:52 AM »
Hi,

The Extreme 355 was always considered by most to be the best although the BAD design gen 2 gave the extreme a run for the money. As you say also the Dave Jones kit was also a contender. In terms of accuracy There was a company EXACT 355 I think they were called that produced a more dimensionally  accurate kit although at the expense of part of the sill opening with the door which frankly looked bl**dy awful!

I did look into building a 355 kit, even bought the donor car but then changed my mind at the last minute in favour of a DNA 360. Yes, this was more expensive initially but its also well worth considering the resale value at the end of the build and all your hard work. If you do the sums and look at resale values you'll see overall the DNA is a far better buy!   8)
Hoping to enjoy half an hour in heaven..........before the devil knows I'm dead!

MADMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 10:18:09 AM »
I,ve built an Extreme 355 and a BAD 355 I prefer the Extreme.
But my recomendation is save a little more money dont rush into it and buy a DNA you will be happier in the long run
MADMAN 8) 

Spacecowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 04:27:23 PM »
Cheers guys. MADMAN, id seen your previous post around this subject and think on balance that you are right to save for a dna. Thing is I want to go straight for the dn8 as that machine is awesome but, having got to pay lots of money to get rid of a witch, unfortunately it just doesn't work atm. BAD no longer manufacture by the looks of it so I guess its either Extreme or Dave Jones. Out of those two, are people still going for the Extreme kit?

Lord Beany

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 09:21:24 PM »
Why not just buy this.

http://www.dnaoc.co.uk/index.php/topic,3714.msg25562/topicseen.html#new

It would surely cost just as much to build a 355 to a decent standard, but 12 grand here gets you DNA quality and their predecessor model to the DN8. That's gotta be a good compromise for you.

Plus, when funding allows, you can put your own stamp on it with the interior.

Just food for thought.

Beany ;D

Spacecowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 10:58:55 PM »
Hmm didn't that guy literally just win this on ebay?

crossy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 06:51:10 PM »
Hmm didn't that guy literally just win this on ebay?

He did just win this on ebay but has hit an unexpected problem in that he is struggling to get it on and off his driveway at home. His misses isn't keen on moving house so hence the car is up for sale! As Beany says a good option for possibly acquiring a cheap DNA?  8)
Hoping to enjoy half an hour in heaven..........before the devil knows I'm dead!

seriph

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 11:28:56 PM »
A great option!

and a terrible reason for selling

:D
Steve

wishing we could get cars like these legally registered downunder

Spacecowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 09:58:35 PM »
Indeed. But I've made my choice. I'm going to save for something special

seriph

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 12:18:52 AM »
I still love the 355's - even though the roof height looks really off from several angles (on the MR2 based ones)  -  the Americans do them on full convertibles I believe and they might be a better looking rep overall .... except for the interiors which let so many kits down
Steve

crossy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 07:28:06 AM »
I still love the 355's - even though the roof height looks really off from several angles (on the MR2 based ones)  -  the Americans do them on full convertibles I believe and they might be a better looking rep overall .... except for the interiors which let so many kits down

I've seen these convertibles and they do look great! Are these built on the Pontiac? I ask because I remember being told that you couldn't build a convertible on the MR2 SW20 because of structural strength issues?

seriph

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2013, 07:47:46 AM »
you can stick a 355 kit on an SW20  -  that's what ppl do all the time  -  or dyu mean cut the roof off one then add the body? A lot of ppl opt ot add the body to a T top and colour-code the roof so it is like the genuine
Steve

crossy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 05:43:49 PM »
Yes, I meant a full convertible, as in cut the roof off the SW20. I know there are lots of kits that have been put on Targa top SW20's and I was looking at doing one of these myself a few years ago.

I did see on ebay last year though a full blown convertible 355 kit which was allegedly built on what was described as a "very rare" SW20 convertible? I wasn't personally aware that they did the SW20 MR2 in a convertible form? Do you know if this could be right?

Darren

• If it don't fit cut it bash it weld it paint it
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2013, 06:46:02 PM »
Convertible SW20 YES!!!!

Toyota built the sw20 with a very thick a pillar and the car was designed to be convertible friendly. There's a fantastic write up by extreme giving a very detailed report on the Mr2 Mk2 structure and its history in design by Toyota. I believe that there's a few Japanese convertibles, but I think they were show pieces as the Japanese don't really like convertibles.

The Americans have built a few 355 reps with chopped roofs on a Fiero chassis, got to be honest, they look bloody awful, the contour of the canvas is just wrong.
D
Well, I'm into the 11th year of the project, could it be ready for Stoneleigh 2020, doubt it. The longest DNA build ever

crossy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2013, 07:11:53 PM »
Well, they say that you learn something new every day! Thanks D  :)  So in theory then the roof could be chopped off and a soft-top fitted?  I designed my own style frame and hood for a Beauford a few years ago, was a nightmare to do and at times the various components ended up being slung across the workshop but it all worked out in the end!