Author Topic: Lambo sues US based replica builder...  (Read 2487 times)

DNA USA

• DNA Automotive USA @ www.DNAautomotiveUSA.com
    • View Profile
    • DNA Automotive USA
DNA Automotive USA
A Series of Car Caves, LLC
Distributor for DNA Automotive in the USA
www.DNAautomotiveUSA.com
www.facebook.com/DNAautomotiveUSA

Comprehensive Self-Build Body Kits and Turnkey Conversions For BMW Z3, BMW M Roadster, Mercury Cougar, Mercedes-Benz SL, and Toyota MR2 MkIII Road

crossy

• Don't you just love traffic cops!
    • View Profile
    • Collagen Light Therapy and Sunbed Hire & Sales
Re: Lambo sues US based replica builder...
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 09:03:38 AM »
Has this happened before in the U.S. do you know?
Hoping to enjoy half an hour in heaven..........before the devil knows I'm dead!

seriph

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 12:28:09 AM »
many times  -  McBurnie Coachcraft built a Frri Daytona replica
Modena coachcraft built a frrri 250 GT california rep
... there are a bunch more  -  and in the other "rep worlds" i.e. clothing, timepieces, perfumes etc. it is a regular occurrence to visit a site only to be greeted with a very long legal injunction document
Steve

wishing we could get cars like these legally registered downunder

crossy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 07:22:48 AM »
It seems to be quite a worrying trend lately for the "big boys" to take legal action. I suppose its worse in the states as legal pay-outs and costs always seem to be off the scale! How do the companies that are still going get around this?
Hoping to enjoy half an hour in heaven..........before the devil knows I'm dead!

seriph

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 07:45:32 AM »
regardless of the legal outcome, what mega-corporations do is bury people in subpoenas and paperwork which sends them to the wall without ever getting to court  -  no one claims that copying something with the intent of passing it off as the real thing is wrong, but as far as building a homage after an original vehicle that when done, is clearly NOTHING like the real article is another thing altogether I feel .... but of course, firms investing billions to develop a vehicle and millions in marketing are also right to be monumentally p155ed off about such ventures   -   it is just not clear to that doing so would be illegal ... if so, I imagine my transforming a 1974 Porsche 911 into an extremely accurate repro of a 1994 twin turbo 930 could have landed me in court  -  but where does it stop? sticking a whaletail and turbo guards on a 911 makes it look like a 930 .... all original parts but not the absolute beast it looks like

as I mentioned: difficult legal area, so the big boys opt to shut people down instead of bothering to try and potentially fail their case
Steve

wishing we could get cars like these legally registered downunder

crossy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 07:13:53 PM »
Often the case with big businesses using bully boy tactics to mess up smaller companies! Just seems to be a lot of this against kit car makers in the press of late.