Author Topic: Paul's 4thirty Build  (Read 409281 times)

Paul79

• View Profile
Paul's 4thirty Build
« on: April 16, 2013, 10:54:29 PM »
Hi Guys

Let me introduce myself - I'm Paul and I'm about to embark on my first ever kit car build. I've been thinking about it for a while and after spending endless hours reading this forum, looking at other Ferrari replica companies and spending time with Roland and the guys, I've just ordered my DNA F430 Spider kit and should arrive in 8 weeks. Can't wait. Just picked up the donor car on Sunday.  A 2003 face lift model with less than 30k on clock. Gonna build it with my Dad (who's always wanted to do a kit car - he nearly did one 1985 but bottled it) and aiming to finish for summer 2014. (Mind you, given our weather here in the UK these days, that could be November 2014!!  :))

Just like to say massive thank you to everyone who does these build diaries as they are a MASSIVE help to everyone, especially people who are thinking about doing a build and may have second thoughts. I spent hours trawling through these diaries before finally going for it.

Attached in the photo of the donor and I'll try and update with pics as much as I can. I plan to given the number of build hours spent on the car as I go along which should help others gauge how much time it takes.

All the best

Paul
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 08:36:43 AM by Paul79 »

Phils99

• If I build it, it will work!
    • View Profile
Re: Paul's 4thirty Build Diary
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 11:36:36 PM »
welcome to our great club mate....dont forget to post as many pics as you can, we love em!

if you have any questions about anything at all dont be afraid to ask, many members on here have answered the same question 10 times and still gain pleasure from helping others.

you have made a great choice as this has got to be the most helpful forum I have ever come across.

I too will hope to have mine ready for spring next year so our build swill probably be on the track!

where are you based, just so that anyone nearby can give you more help if you ever need it.

...and most of all ENJOY it, dont rush, it will be ready when its ready!

regards
phil
What colour should a Ferrari be?...ROSSO of course!

Lord Beany

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 08:59:01 AM »
Hi Paul, and welcome.

Phil had pretty much said it all, so I won't repeat.

Looks like a great little vehicle to start with and a good idea to log your hours, something that I never did. However, as a guide I took 10 months from start of strip down to mot and on the road. That was working full-time and caring for my wife also, so these cars do coke together relatively quickly.

You do have to consciously remind yourself to take photos as it's so easy to get carried away in the build. you and your dad will thoroughly enjoy the experience. Post any questions and you should receive several answers within a matter of hours.

Best of luck and as Phil asked, let us know where you are as there may he an owner near by.

Regards

Beany ;D

tenpin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 12:25:42 PM »
Welcome, and as others have said, don't worry about posting questions (no matter how daft they may appear).
We all want you to have a great experience building the car and not double guessing about what you should / might have done etc. - we've all been through the build process, some of us more than others, some with practically no experience to begin with  ::)

- tenpin

Paul79

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 01:14:45 PM »
Thanks everyone very much for making me feel so welcome - I am based in Essex which I think is where Dangerrous is from. Tomorrow night is the first time I will get to spend on her. I will have to manage my time as I have wife, young family (2 daughters) and work long hours in London! :-) But i'm sure I'll fit the time in!!!
Cheers

Lord Beany

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 01:25:47 PM »
I'm in Cambridgeshire, Paul, so not too far away  for a run out one day in the summer. 8)

We'll have to sort something when I've got my car all back together again.

Beany ;D

Paul79

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 07:26:44 PM »
Beany, why is your car not together?

sundog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 08:37:51 PM »
paul79

its becuase hes trying out his homemade electric roof.

btw are you close to completion yet buddy?
sonny :)

Paul79

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 08:42:59 PM »
Right.......... "LET'S BUILD A FERRARI!"

Build Time: 4 hours

So last night was the first night I got to spend time on her. So this is what I got done. Managed to strip the back end and the front bumper. No problems so far. Just a lot of fiddly poppers to undo.

QUESTION GUYS: on the rear passenger side at the back, what do you do with the pipe that flows above the rear wheel? In the DNA video in think they have got rid of it. Is it a pipe to the air filter?

Cheers

Phils99

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 09:22:12 PM »
great progress mate! I love to see the pics of peoples builds....

as for the pipe above the wheel, that will fit into a moulding supplied with the kit which in turn will be bonded behind the upper passenger air intake on the rear end. so you can remove it for now, the large piece of plastic that fits on the end of the pipe and connects to the MR2 air intake can be discarded.

Keep the pics coming!

NYAL F430

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 09:32:07 PM »
Welcome, mate keep the pictures coming, the fun about to start ;D
nice to see another build.

Paul79

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 09:32:33 PM »
cheers Phil
the bit that can be discarded  - that's the bit that attaches to the side of the MR2  - not the other end that attaches to the engine at the back. apologies for all the questions...

Paul

Lord Beany

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 10:05:51 PM »
Hey Paul,

Great progress with the strip down.

My car's not totally in bits, front arch liners, dummy engine and dummy calipers off at the moment. I'm making the dummy engine frame out of metal and sitting it higher as the original fibreglass moulding had to be cut away to fit over the V6.

One of my dummy calipers decided to fall off and I ran over it. As I had to repair it I thought I may as well refurbish all four of them and do a colour change. I've also got a.couple interior trims off to make the fixings for the removable hardtop I'm working on. (Not an electric roof Sunday! Lol.)

Keep the build pics coming. You can sell most of the mr2 parts for a reasonable amount, eBay or www.mr2roc.org.

Beany ;D

Paul79

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 10:21:44 PM »
Thanks everyone - next question - in the DNA videos Roland talks about 'etching' the edges of the car where the kit sticks.  What does he mean by that? Also the only other thing that is bothering me at the moment is the amount of holes etc.. that need to be cut out of the GRP panels. For example, at the back of the car where the grill goes.  How on earth to you do it so it is all straight and doesn't look like a botched job?

Phils99

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 10:30:06 PM »
hi Paul,

yes, I meant the bit that connects to the rear quarter panel.

Etching means "roughing up", I asked thesame question when I picked my kit up!!

As for the cut outs, I have just done mine....get yourself an airsaw (if you have a compressor) and a black and decker power file £40 B&Q

check my build thread as I have just done mine and have posted detailed pics! Perfect timing! check here:

http://www.dnaoc.co.uk/index.php/topic,3264.msg22060.html#msg22060

Keep the pics coming AND DONT APOLOGISE  for asking questions mate...I know NOTHING about any of this when I started!

Regards
Phil