Author Topic: Extreme?  (Read 10887 times)

LEE-DEE

• View Profile
Extreme?
« on: March 25, 2013, 10:05:07 AM »
Anyone knows what the score with extreme is? There site was open to owners only and now seems to be open to all again but with the same sort of stuff as before but less negative stuff about extreme,I think?

sundog

• View Profile
Re: Extreme?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 10:15:28 AM »
To be fair lee i dont really bother looking at other kit car sites

Thats like trading gucci for primark.

Dna is the best out there and has great service before and after.

Plus extreme are known for not sending out the right parts to! Sonetines there even short of a few parts and wint answer the phone.

I know that they have changed hands fairly recently.
sonny :)

CdRsKuLL

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 07:01:27 PM »
Hi Lee,

I run both the DNA and Extreme owners club sites. You're quite correct that I closed the extreme owners club site so only extreme owners could view it.  It's a long story but in brief I will try my best to explain why and .. again now why it's reopened.

... Once upon a time, Extreme purchased a Murcielago / repaired it and then took a mould from it. This then after a lot of R&D mounted onto a MR2 mk2 and kits were then ready for sale. A few kits were sold but somewhere along the line it was splashed and then these copy kits were sold as extreme kits but of course didn't come with all the bits. I know of a couple that were sold as extreme kits and the buyers were told to just contact extreme to obtain the needed parts to complete. Now, this is where problems first started really. You had customers thinking they had purchased an extreme kit and wanted bits to complete but when in actual fact they had bought a splashed kit and weren't really entitled to get any bits. What made it worse was there was a change in management during this time at extreme and what agreements were made in word with customers didn't get passed over.

I'm not defending extreme as it was then but I can understand some of the problems they faced. You had customers who thought they had purchased a extreme kit and wanting parts posting on the forums saying I want this / that etc which didn't make good reading.

The forums like this DNA forum is for owners and it was getting to the point I had to go on everyday and edit / remove posts that just weren't very productive. In the end the decision was made to just make them private. Rightly or wrongly this was my decision.. I was just getting fed up of all the crap that was going around, it was either make private or close them down.

So, when extreme decided to close there doors I then decided to open the forums up and try my best to help others left in a pickle. A long time extremeoc member who I've spoken to a few times decided to take over the Extreme name and started to sell there kits and help people who required parts to complete. I'm unsure if keeping the Extreme name was the best move on there part but there you go. I'm just happy that it just wasn't left to disappear.

There are of course many other sides of the coin, I don't wish to start a big debate about it all but they were my reasons.

Hope this helps answer some of your questions.. O.. and why do I run both sites?  Well, I started off building a DNA360 and now I'm doing a Murcielago :-)

Steve
The fat one..

Lord Beany

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 08:32:05 PM »
You can't argue that the Murci looks good when finished, there are a couple for sale on Pistonheads at the moment.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/kit-cars/other-models/lamboroghini-murcialago-replica/1102047

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/kit-cars/other-models/lamborghini-murcielago-replica/948143

An excellent job you do with the forum's too Steve; thanks!

Beany ;D

CdRsKuLL

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 09:40:54 PM »
You can't argue that the Murci looks good when finished, there are a couple for sale on Pistonheads at the moment.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/kit-cars/other-models/lamboroghini-murcialago-replica/1102047

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/kit-cars/other-models/lamborghini-murcielago-replica/948143

Beany ;D

Thanks Beany.. not seen them before, I can't help looking closely at them.. lol The orange one has something going on with it's front bumper, or the lack of it. + the head lights.. the doors have big gaps and don't line up with the sills.. O and the badge on the back is wrong.

However.. lol the white one, built originally by Broadfields I think seems to be a better fit but is suffering from the gas struts at the back on the rear deck pushing it out of shape. I think this happens overtime.

However, there on the road and further on than mine.. so I better just shut up.. lol

and thanks for the kind comments about the forums, but really it's you and the other great members that make it what it is :-)

Steve
The fat one..

Lord Beany

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 01:20:11 AM »
Cheers Steve,

That's the first picture i've seen of you Murci build for a long time.

I was a regular lurker on the Extreme forum as i loved the Murci and was close to comitting. What swung me DNA's way was initially the time required to complete the build. As we all know, the DNA kits go together so much quicker and i think that is why you rarely see an unfinished DNA car for sale.

I know it's not a DNA car, but i'm sure nobody on the forum would object to you sharing your build with us as it progresses further. I know i'd love to see more.

Beany ;D

Chris10

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 01:46:45 AM »

Beany ;D

They do look good but for that price :/ Half way to a real one tbh.

sundog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 02:08:56 AM »
Agreed chris way way overpriced ...

I can appreciate the time effort and hsrdship gone into it. But when it comes down to the crunch its a replica 

For 34 grand!!? Lol thats laughable as i seen a lambo gallardo with 51k miles 2006 for 49k just over 10 more.

sundog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 02:11:09 AM »
Now a dn8.for 35k its the closest thing going and u put dna vs extreme? I wonder who would win.

P.s beany ... loving that yellow!! Starting to grow on me matey!! ::)

Lord Beany

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 03:22:57 AM »
Oh Yeah!!!!!!!!

Just to wet your apetite a little more, Sundog.

Beany ;D
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 03:27:03 AM by Lord Beany »

sundog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 10:51:04 AM »
Oh my good lord sweet mother of humanity

Chris10

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 12:51:42 PM »
Oh Yeah!!!!!!!!

Just to wet your apetite a little more, Sundog.

Beany ;D

Oooft!

Getting excited over pictures  ;D

beemaman

• theres only one way to build
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 07:18:20 PM »
Love the pics that yellow looks great.nice combo

sundog

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 08:29:02 PM »
Beemaman wheres the pics!!!!!!? Im dying to see ::)

Lord Beany

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 08:40:36 PM »
Would you believe he forgot to take photos! ::)

Come on Beems, stop keeping it to yourself. Lol.

Beany ;D