Author Topic: Phils 4thirty build  (Read 223617 times)

cheets

• View Profile
Re: Phils 4thirty build
« Reply #870 on: April 18, 2015, 01:18:11 PM »
Nice one Bud  can what for that day :) 

ferrari feb 14

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: April 18, 2015, 07:15:10 PM »
That's great news on the mot phill , looking forward to seeing her in a couple of weeks,jd

Furrari

• A wise man can control the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: April 18, 2015, 07:25:06 PM »
Immisions on a kit car?  I know of some kit cars that just happen to have the same immisions as the car in the next MOT bay, isn't that strange.  Fortunately mine is OK.
Not all problems can be solved with gaffer tape.  For those there is WD40.
Not even gaffer tape can fix stupid, but it can mask the sound.

If you can’t buy it or steal it you have to make it.

Paul79

• View Profile
« Reply #873 on: April 18, 2015, 09:25:56 PM »
Well done Phil. The end is in sight. πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„

Phils99

• If I build it, it will work!
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: April 20, 2015, 09:16:28 PM »
So.....time for some more interior work. I decided to have a go at fitting the dashboard and the air vents.

Some of you may remember that I have bonded the HVAC front into the centre airvent moulding you get with the dash kit, so now I needed someway of mounting the HVAC controls to enable the front panel, now bonded to the air vents, to screw back into it without any force.

I pondered on this for a while and started with a couple of metal brackets to extend the hvac control mountings forward enough, this became hard to do, as its hard to fix the bracket to the original hvac control mounting points and then to secure the hvac controls to the bracket...hmmm...then I had an idea! I just need to put a spacer behind a longer screw and I should be able to use the existing hvac control mounting screw holes....I just need some small tubes to use as spacers...I know...rivnuts!, I used a medium one plus a washer behind the top holes in the hvac control and a smaller one behind the bottom holes..perfect! it tightened up nicely and was held solidly in place at the correct position and angle, I then placed the centre airvent over it and made sure the top edge of the air vent sat nicely inside the cut out in the dashboard, it did and it worked perfectly!

Now, its only held in place by the 2 screws that secure the hvac front panel to the hvac controls, so, when I come to fit it properly, I think I will add a bit of velcro under the top edge of the centre air vent unit, this way it will be held solid and is still removable.

Pic 1, The centre air vent held in place and also I have added the new graphics for the controls and a set of "madmans" replica knobs!

Pic 2, this is the gap at the side I will need to fill, but I will just shape a piece of plastic to fill this nicely

Pic 3 and 4, I then just taped on the outer air vents to stand back and see what it would look like with all the dash in place, well pleased!...just need to sort the stereo surround out as I dont think I can cut out my existing PFL one as no way will it fit over the screen, I still need to find a facelift one, so Im still looking....

...and yes, I still havent done anymore with my centre console as this is going to need a lot of work and I wont have time to get it all done before Stoneleigh....
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 09:18:24 PM by Phils99 »
What colour should a Ferrari be?...ROSSO of course!

MADMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #875 on: April 20, 2015, 10:17:11 PM »
Hey Phil I love the HVAC unit blended in, it looks 100% better, another job for me when I get round to it
MADMAN 8)

beemaman

• theres only one way to build
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: April 20, 2015, 10:30:03 PM »
Hi phil are you after a stereo surround ? If so I'm sure ive still got my stereo at work it came out a late 03 ) speed facelift model

Interior looks great buddy :)

Phils99

• View Profile
« Reply #877 on: April 21, 2015, 08:07:57 AM »
cheers guys, its getting there!

Phils99

• View Profile
« Reply #878 on: April 21, 2015, 08:56:44 PM »
bit more interior work, I removed all I trial fitted yesterday to fit it in for real....

Pic 1, I removed all of the MR2 vents so that they wont close up on me!  then removed the hazard warning switch, which was a pain to get out so I cut it out as all this will be covered by the centre vents...

Pic 2, I also removed the surround that actually holds the switch in place, as I will be able to bond this to the back of a plate in my centre console and clip the hazard switch into it to hold it

Pic 3, I then extended the wiring long enough to fit the switch into the centre console later on, I tucked the switch and wiring under the ashtray for now....

Pic 4, I then bonded the dashboard onto the MR2 dashboard and added some weight.

Tomorrow, I will bond on the "airbag" and the outside centre vents....its getting there now!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 08:58:56 PM by Phils99 »

cheets

• View Profile
« Reply #879 on: April 21, 2015, 11:35:43 PM »
Nice work Phil :)

Phils99

• View Profile
« Reply #880 on: April 22, 2015, 08:28:15 PM »
bit more interior work done...

Pic 1, Bonded on the outer air vents and the "airbag" to the dash

Pic 2 and 3, I wanted to make the instrument cowel removeable, so I used some dum-dum tape to fix this on, that way I just can pull it off when I need to get to my clocks as I plan to remove the 3 "tunnels" after the shows and have a nice flat open clock face like Madmans

Pic 3, I riveted the F430 piece you get with the interior kit to the centre vents and then I used the metal laser cut F430 sign that Rudy gave me...all those months ago...and glued each part over the F430 piece giving a 3D effect in metal!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 08:30:12 PM by Phils99 »

beemaman

• theres only one way to build
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: April 22, 2015, 11:17:42 PM »
Brilliant work buddy nearly there :) txt me tomorrow about stereo I forgot today buddy sorry

cheets

• View Profile
« Reply #882 on: April 23, 2015, 12:12:42 AM »
Liking your work Phil :)

Wizard

• View Profile
« Reply #883 on: April 23, 2015, 06:36:40 AM »
Can't wait to see this at Stoneleigh. Looks great.

kalifornia

• View Profile
    • Car Paint guru
« Reply #884 on: April 23, 2015, 07:20:25 AM »
Not. Long to go for Stonleigh, just under two weeks. Looking forward to seeing the car