Author Topic: DNA cars in Ontario, Canada  (Read 7697 times)

tenpin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
DNA cars in Ontario, Canada
« on: August 24, 2012, 10:16:24 AM »
The reason that I've been, relatively, quiet on the forum lately is that I've been travelling and have had to use my phone for the internet.

Anyway, I discovered a guy who runs a company called "Ontario Kit Car Consultants" based in Severn Bridge, which is a couple of hours drive north of Toronto.

So, I gave him a call and went off to meet him. A very friendly chap who was full of advice for any potential kit car builders in Ontario. For those who don't know - it appears that you can't import a kitcar into Canada, nor can you have a turnkey car made in Canada. If you want a kit car then you have to build it yourself! However, you can have help and this is where Ed comes in....

In the workshop were a couple of GTM's and a beach buggy - I got to sit in (just) and fire up the red one.

If you'd like a DNA (and you either want just that little bit of backup, or can barely wield a spanner or fall somewhere in between) I'd suggest you contact Ed and seek his advice. If you go ahead you'll have to buy the kit from DNA and sort out the cost of Ed's help.

(I should point out that this is not a personal reccomendation because I have not done business with him, though it's difficult to imagine a more friendly, helpful guy!)

Here's the contact details:
Phone: 705.345.6982
Email: ed@ontariokitcarbuilders.com
Web: www.OntarioKitCarConsultants.com

- tenpin

tenpin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: DNA cars in Ontario, Canada
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 10:18:49 AM »
Some pics of the cars he's working on...

- tenpin

tenpin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 10:19:58 AM »
This one he's wrapped.

- tenpin

tenpin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 10:17:14 AM »
I'd be interested in any feedback from those of you who contact Ed AND especially interested if anyone goes ahead with a build in Ontario.

Thanks

- tenpin

Lord Beany

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 01:44:45 PM »
Hey Tenpin,

Did you get the make of the black and red cars?

Looks like a beast!

Beany ;D

tenpin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 05:01:29 PM »
They'll be the GTM's to which I referred in my first post  ;)

- tenpin

Furrari

• A wise man can control the stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 08:03:11 PM »
When you said GTM I thought you meant a GTM like mine, originally Austin Metro based.  Looks like a language problem again in the colonies.
Not all problems can be solved with gaffer tape.  For those there is WD40.
Not even gaffer tape can fix stupid, but it can mask the sound.

If you can’t buy it or steal it you have to make it.

Lord Beany

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 05:13:38 AM »
When you said GTM I thought you meant a GTM like mine, originally Austin Metro based.  Looks like a language problem again in the colonies.
Me too!

Beany  ;D

tenpin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 09:07:43 AM »
Ah, while it may not be the States or even Texas, they still grow 'em bigger in that part of the world!  ;D

- tenpin

DNA USA

• DNA Automotive USA @ www.DNAautomotiveUSA.com
    • View Profile
    • DNA Automotive USA
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 03:56:21 PM »
Talk about 'grow 'em bigger...', I've put on 80 lbs since I moved from UK to USA...
 :-[
Dove US
DNA Automotive USA
A Series of Car Caves, LLC
Distributor for DNA Automotive in the USA
www.DNAautomotiveUSA.com
www.facebook.com/DNAautomotiveUSA

Comprehensive Self-Build Body Kits and Turnkey Conversions For BMW Z3, BMW M Roadster, Mercury Cougar, Mercedes-Benz SL, and Toyota MR2 MkIII Road

tenpin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 01:22:47 PM »
I've just had an email from Ed, in which he states:
"My handiwork will be featured in the film (the new Robocop remake) to be released in 2013."

Looks like one of the cars he's made is in the film.

- tenpin

MyKidsKit

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 01:04:35 AM »
Hey tenpin, I just noticed the subject of your post and it caught my attention. I'm in Halifax, NS and getting pretty interested in the DNA kits. I'm interested in doing a 4thirty build with my son. I'm wondering if you've imported a kit to Canada and what the process was?? I know we can't import completed kits and we can't have turnkeys built but I'm wondering if there are any special loopholes we Canadians need to jump through to get kits imported to us? Aside from some body work and the paint, I'd be doing this on my own with my boy.

Thanks!

Lord Beany

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 01:36:01 PM »
Hey there mykidskit,

Welcome to the forum. The best person for you to speak to would be Yves. He is, as far as I know, the only Canadian so far to have started a build.

You can search his name in the members section and send him a pm, or email him:
yves.anctil@synergique.qc.ca

He is not in Ontario, but if the regulations are fairly standard across the whole of Canada, he will be able to tell you what he was up against.

This is the link to his build thread:
 http://www.dnaoc.co.uk/index.php/topic,1332.0.html

Best of luck to you, you and your son will have a great time completing this project, and even more fun driving it afterwards. There are several great 430 build threads on here which are a great source of information and if you ever have questions, simply post it and you should get sevetl answers.

Cheers Beany ;D

tenpin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 01:57:23 PM »
Hi,
As Lord Beany says yves in Quebec is the only one I know of who has imported a kit. I'd suggest you have a chat to Ed (details in my first post in this thread) - when I spoke to him he had obviously studied the rules very carefully and seemed to think it wouldn't be a major problem.
Whilst it is a 'kit', I'd use the term 're-panel' as the basic donor vehicle (which was approved, certified etc by Transport Canada) remains intact under the new skin. (OK, some of the body panels are removed, but...)
One of Ed's cars apparently features in Wal-Mart's Dream Car Calendar in Canada 2013.

Have a look in the build threads section on here to get an idea of what is involved in doing a DNA kit. Also I'd talk to DNA (UK) about costs and shipping etc. Then, of course, you'll have to find a Toyota MR2 Mk3 to modify....

- tenpin

Yves

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 03:59:27 PM »
Hi Guys,

I'm still alive !  First want to say "Merry Christmas and good health in 2013".
Since I'm your subject today I had to write.

Transport Canada is no trouble, in my case it's Transport Quebec that are a little more difficult, you need to make sure provincial Ministery of transport allows the changes you need to make with the build, ie air bag and direction.  Everything else should be ok.

I have not worked on my build for the last 6 months, this explains my silence, I had something else to tackle.  But I'm back on it now and I'm about to glue the panels all mechanical mods are done.

Contact me if you have any questions, it'll be my pleasure to help you if I can.

Yves in 3 feet of snow  ::)
(viva el Quebec)
Capitaine Québec