Author Topic: Str00dle 5cudo Build  (Read 64486 times)

beemaman

• theres only one way to build
    • View Profile
Re: Str00dle 5cudo Build
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2011, 10:51:43 AM »

hey stroodle

looking forward to seeing the build buddy,the 5cudo is a great car and you will have loads of fun building it,does sound awesome,sorry cant help with the battery problem but im sure one of the current 5cudo builders will give you the heads up,

good to see so many 5cudo builds and look forward to seeing everyones cars soon,,,

:)  :)

Billywhizz

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2011, 04:26:33 PM »
HI Guys

So my cougar arrived back this week and its now time to get started on the prep work,
just a few quick questions for the 5cudo builders out there.
which is the best route to take the battery cable, under the car, through it?
do the bolts on the top to the coilovers need to be screwed all the way down to the end of the screw thread?

cheers guys for any advice, i will take photos today as we go and get them posted up tomorrow.

Hi str00dle,
Make sure you get a really good quality cable as I've had to replace the first I did due to a really bad voltage drop (see my post for details).
I wouldn't advise running the positive cable outside the body as it wouldn't take much to pierce the sheathing and potentially short on the body with catastrophic results. I have however run my earth cable out through the old light apertures in the boot and then between the kit and along the inside of the sills to the engine bay held in place with cable clips, screws and stikaflex.
I drilled through the firewall under the windscreen and came in behind the glove box for the positive, again, make sure you use rubber gromets to prevent the sharp edges cutting the wire.
I bought the 315 from this site...
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/cable/batterycable.php
Why put off 'til tomorrow what you can do today?

str00dle

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2011, 09:07:21 AM »
Cheers for the comments and assistance billywhizz, i have run the cable through the firewall and connected the battery to an existing earth point in the boot, started up first time without any problems so was well happy.
Just got to tidy up the engine bay and a few little jobs before i collect the kit on Thursday.

So here are the pics if anyone notices anything i have done wrong please shout.

car back after welding

Old suspension before it was encouraged to come off with the Jeremy Clarkson approach.

Passenger Side Rear Suspension Fitted, only minor injuries getting the old stuff off, and a big thank you to all the build guides that posted how they did the suspension they were very helpful.

Driver side rear suspension, cables need a little bit of a tidy still

Drivers side Front Suspension fitted

Passenger Side front suspension fitted

Wheels back on and i have noticed it looks very close to the ground and the wheel to the body work, not sure if i need to adjust anything here or if this is correct?

Airbox trimmed down and fitted back in, hopefully enough but will find out when i try and put the front end on.

more pics will follow on Thursday when i collect the kit

Billywhizz

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 08:21:33 AM »

Wheels back on and i have noticed it looks very close to the ground and the wheel to the body work, not sure if i need to adjust anything here or if this is correct?

It is a little lower than mine I noticed but once you get the new alloys on you'll have a better idea of the height adjustment you'll need. There is a lot of thread on those shocks, when I first put mine on it was like a monster truck as I'd adjusted too far the other way... ;D
Why put off 'til tomorrow what you can do today?

nmaddock

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2011, 09:33:56 AM »
mine is the same don't worry about it, ford would be proud how low we got them :)

str00dle

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2011, 10:26:31 AM »
thats cool, cheers for the coments guys, the back didn't seem to change much but the front went so low i was worried about speed bumps.  Does look great though and anything is an imrovement on what ford did. :)

splne1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 03:58:39 PM »
Nice coming along very well! Keep up the good work!
FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK!!!

str00dle

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2011, 08:29:05 AM »
So yesterday off I went with the girlfriend and brother in our white van to DNA.  Picked up our kit and all the little bits (there are loads more than I thought) and Brian was awesome spending nearly 3 hours going through each little part for us, not that I can remember much of it now but I’m glad I took a video camera so I can watch it back later to remind me.

Now where can I store all these large bits

All the kit is now home, parts in the garage, hallway and conservatory along with the back end just placed over the car as it didn’t fit anywhere else.

So now the real work begins, a big thank you to Brain and all the guys at DNA for the help and advice they have given.

xpert360

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2011, 08:47:06 AM »
now the fun begins. Enjoy it and take ya time, think and measure twice and cut once as I was always taught. I bet ya rearing to go!!!
What ya going to do with the Evo thats in the garage??? you keeping it :-\

str00dle

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2011, 09:32:13 AM »
we can't wait to get going, and the Evo is staying for sure, it has been my other project for the last year and is nearly finished.  The evo is my fuel hungry power car and the 5cudo is my more economical daily driver.

steven

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2011, 11:51:24 AM »
good idea with the video camera, Saves a lot of head scratching.

Just shows the dedication of the guys at dna

CdRsKuLL

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2011, 08:32:50 PM »
I remember them days :-) Good luck with the build fella !
The fat one..

beemaman

• theres only one way to build
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2011, 11:02:55 AM »

love them kits mate

have fun and make sure we see some pics buddy,you doing a great job....

:)  :)

Melogize

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2011, 12:56:33 PM »
what the fiberglass construction costs without lights?

str00dle

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2011, 11:25:21 AM »
Sorry about the lack of updates everyone, i get so wrapped up in the build i forget to take pictures.
Anyway i did take a few last weekend and yesterday so here is the progress so far.

19th - 20th
doors are on, then line up very well, 2 screws with washers to pack it out hold them on for the time being, 20mins job.

Next up was the windscreen tray which once we cut along the lines was a little aggressive but we can fill the gap without much hassle.

During this time my brother was cutting the vents out of the back end and making the adjustments to get it line up correctly, looked like a ghost by the end of it.

Fitted the black exhaust surround quite early on as its quite flexible and I didn’t want to break it, so screwed it in place.

Next up was to fit the mesh in the scoops, thanks to DE’s build pics I used the idea of cable tying a piece of wood on the outside to hold the mesh in place while I put it on and the glue set.

Sorry no pics of that as i forgot.

On the Sunday I cut them off and fed a cable tie up the drainage hole I had drilled and tied the scoop to the mesh to hold that in place while it set.  While doing this I looked at how to fit the hose at the back and bend it so you can't see the brake lights down the scoops.
Not sure how others have done this but this is how i did it, used a bit of builders strapping and attached in the hose at one end, then pulled it tight till the hose was bent to the correct angle and attached another screw or bolt, then cut the end off.

Put the back end back on and put her all to bed for the weekend. Front end placed on to line bits up but its now to dark and late on Sunday night so that’s the weekend done

Spent week nights doing the door mirrors and headlights (pics coming soon of them)